Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 09:42 AM

Thumbs down Better fill up all your gas and propane tanks

Carbon tax is back January 1st ..
Old 12-06-2019, 09:54 AM

And now we are paying it to the feds instead.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:13 AM

good call- I am going to Edmonton Monday, time to fill a slip tank or 2!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-06-2019, 10:14 AM

What !!!
Who could have predicted that?
Old 12-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
And now we are paying it to the feds instead.
Yes, which is why it is much less than we were VOLUNTARILY paying 2 years ago. The previous government had a few points added on for their own use in anticipation of when they would have to hand it over this coming year.

Why anyone would voluntarily start paying ahead of time makes zero sense to me, unless they were trying to claw every penny from the populace that they could.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Yes, which is why it is much less than we were VOLUNTARILY paying 2 years ago. The previous government had a few points added on for their own use in anticipation of when they would have to hand it over this coming year.

Why anyone would voluntarily start paying ahead of time makes zero sense to me, unless they were trying to claw every penny from the populace that they could.
Just wait till it hits 230. / tonne, which is the latest "required" number.

Grizz
Old 12-06-2019, 10:49 AM

^ Yes. It is less for the time being and then more and potentially forever. $50 by 2022, isn’t it? They say $230-300 is what is required to meet the set goals.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:54 AM

Can someone explain how me paying a higher carbon tax, will reduce carbon emissions?
Old 12-06-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
Can someone explain how me paying a higher carbon tax, will reduce carbon emissions?
It gives the lieberals more money to bring across immigrants and buy votes so they are in the big chair forever.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-06-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post

Maby it's just me but if I have the choice to make the rules In my house, or to let someone else make the rules, you can bet in going to be in front of it and not letting someone else make the calls for me.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
the theory is that if you make it more expensive people will buy/use less of it.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
Maby it's just me but if I have the choice to make the rules In my house, or to let someone else make the rules, you can bet in going to be in front of it and not letting someone else make the calls for me.
Regardless of who implements the tax, if we pay it, it is because of the federal government, they are the ones forcing it on us.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
It gives the lieberals more money to bring across immigrants and buy votes so they are in the big chair forever.
You are 100% right, it has absolutely nothing to do with the environment.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:14 PM

Default Anyone

Catch the Throne Speech where the Turd exploits the 30th anniversary of the PolyTechnic shooting to push his latest gun control.Dancing on graves is nothing new for the left.disgusting to say the least.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
So you would voluntarily take more money for longer from your populace?
That doesn't make any financial sense.
Keep in mind, the cabon tax promise came with a MINIMUM that provinces MUST contribute, and a date by which it is mandatory.
The only option that would call them off on their enforcement was Higher than the minimum rate, and implemented sooner.
Kenney not doing anything and letting the minimums be enforced ensures that we don't pay a penny more than we have to, or start paying a moment to soon.
Consider it like getting a speeding ticket for $100 payable on January 1, 2020. Would you send them a cheque dated for today for $150?
Old 12-06-2019, 01:58 PM

Taxing the tax...its the Ottawa way.

Enough of supporting their BS...Let make the birds and get the flock out of here.

BW
Old 12-06-2019, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nope!
Old 12-06-2019, 09:03 PM

THE government CLAIMS that a carbon tax reduces consumption and they also CLAIM that they will rebate the funds, so it will be revenue neutral.
How does that work?????
What am I missing???
Old 12-06-2019, 09:07 PM

Trudeau definitely makes separation look more attractive as he pushes forward with his vision of what the liberals want for Canada
Old 12-06-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Trudeau definitely makes separation look more attractive as he pushes forward with his vision of what the liberals want for Canada
That is the part that has me so confused. Everyone can see him driving the wedges between provinces, between Canadians, but who exactly is pulling his strings? What is his end game?

I have read some pretty wild conspiracy theories about the Rothschilds and Rockerfellers and more trillionaire families that start with R, but again why?

Milk all of Canada's resources and a Billion dollars in his pocket?

Old 12-06-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
That is the part that has me so confused. Everyone can see him driving the wedges between provinces, between Canadians, but who exactly is pulling his strings? What is his end game?

I have read some pretty wild conspiracy theories about the Rothschilds and Rockerfellers and more trillionaire families that start with R, but again why?

Milk all of Canada's resources and a Billion dollars in his pocket?
Either the liberals have a truly warped vision on what Canada should be, Trudeau is working hard boot licking for a seat with the UN, or like some suggest this is all being pushed by foreign economic interest. I don’t know what it really is but I don’t see this going in a positive direction. Under our present system I question if it’s even possible to turn things around as a country.

It may reach a point I seriously consider looking at moving to another country as an option.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Either the liberals have a truly warped vision on what Canada should be, Trudeau is working hard boot licking for a seat with the UN, or like some suggest this is all being pushed by foreign economic interest. I don’t know what it really is but I don’t see this going in a positive direction. Under our present system I question if it’s even possible to turn things around as a country.

It may reach a point I seriously consider looking at moving to another country as an option.
I have also heard this lots lately. Apparently a lot of planes full of Albertan men are now working in Texas.

The American companies are recruiting hard here. Things to come?

Old 12-06-2019, 10:41 PM

So how much will the carbon tax be on a litre of gas or diesel in 2020?

Farm fuel is exempt I believe.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:46 PM

4.4 cents they say. And multiply that by 2.5 by 2022, which gives you 11 cents per litre in 2 years.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
NO .......... there really is no rational explanation (that holds any credibility anyways).

A better story would have been .......

The carbon tax dollars are to buy us all bicycles when we can't afford to put gas in our vehicles !!!!

and .......... It's for the extra sweaters we will need to buy when we can't afford to heat our homes !!!!
Old 12-07-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Very easy to explain. The idea behind the tax is to make fuel so expensive you cannot afford it.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:17 AM

the theory goes - as the price goes up that you will use less fuel.
It didn't work during the oil crisis when gas went to about $1.50 a litre, why would it work going from around $1 to $1.10?

Fuel cost does not seem connected to vehicle buying decisions, or to daily consumption, at least within the range that has been tested.

Fuel has been oscillating a lot in Saskatoon - from 99.9 last week to $1.129 this week, and back down to $1.079. Trying to find the limits of tolerance or....?
Old 12-07-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I have also heard this lots lately. Apparently a lot of planes full of Albertan men are now working in Texas.

The American companies are recruiting hard here. Things to come?
Don’t know anyone who was recruited but I definitely know people who sent resumes south once they got election results, some smaller companies who took trips south looking for options and a couple older guys who are selling everything to move somewhere warm for early retirement.

Faith in our country is definitely on a low and it’s causing some to look at other options. If my kids were older I would be seriously consider looking elsewhere myself
Old 12-07-2019, 07:40 AM

Out of our Canadian customers I would say half are actively working in the U.S..
The problem is, America wants our cheap equipment rates, but not our labour. Most equipment going down there is being sent with a lead operator or supervisor, and the rest of the support must be hired locally.
This increases U.S. companies employment rate, offers cheap access to state of the art equipment, and lowers their capital expenditures. Huge positives for them.

Unfortunately it leaves a bunch of unemployed operators here. As well, all of the infrastructure in place in Alberta to repair that equipment suffers, which means more jobs lost.

Sending equipment State-side is the only reason more Alberta companies haven't gone belly up. Unfortunately, most of the workers still take the hit.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:30 AM

Default tax

Just an estimate but at future proposed $210 a tonne required to meet our GHG requirements should result in $0.50 to $0.60 Turd tax per liter on regular gas.