Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 12:14 PM

Default Aftermarket Lockers

Went from a truck with a factory E-Locker in the rear to one with open diffs front and rear. I didn't think I would miss the locker that much, during my last off-grid camping trip, the limitations of open diffs became very apparent . So now I'm considering installing an aftermarket locker in the rear diff of my truck. Does anyone here have any experience with aftermarket lockers? The usual questions...Any brands you recommend? Things to consider? Cost? Cost and or difficulty of installation? etc etc...

Thanks!!
Old 10-03-2018, 12:36 PM

Id look into the eaton Tru Trac, I want one to replace my elocker
Old 10-03-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aciousB View Post
Went from a truck with a factory E-Locker in the rear to one with open diffs front and rear. I didn't think I would miss the locker that much, during my last off-grid camping trip, the limitations of open diffs became very apparent . So now I'm considering installing an aftermarket locker in the rear diff of my truck. Does anyone here have any experience with aftermarket lockers? The usual questions...Any brands you recommend? Things to consider? Cost? Cost and or difficulty of installation? etc etc...

Thanks!!
What's it going in? Do you want an automatic or selectable locker?

I've had both, a detroit in the back of a jeep TJ that worked great offroad but wasn't great for icy roads with that short of a wheelbase. Also had an ARB air locker in a Toyota landcruiser FJ60 that also worked great offroad but maintained good road manners in the winter - just need to flip a switch to turn it on. I never had problems with the air compressor or air lines but it could happen. If I need a selectable locker in the future I might look at the Ox cable actuated one
Old 10-03-2018, 12:50 PM

I put an Eaton ELocker in the front of my F350. It had the factory rear ELocker already. It has been great, no issues in the 6 years it has been in there.
No complaints, always works.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
What's it going in? Do you want an automatic or selectable locker?

I've had both, a detroit in the back of a jeep TJ that worked great offroad but wasn't great for icy roads with that short of a wheelbase. Also had an ARB air locker in a Toyota landcruiser FJ60 that also worked great offroad but maintained good road manners in the winter - just need to flip a switch to turn it on. I never had problems with the air compressor or air lines but it could happen. If I need a selectable locker in the future I might look at the Ox cable actuated one
It's going in a 1.5gen XTerra. I prefer selectable for precisely the reason you mentioned. What was total cost for purchase/installation of your ARB setup?
Old 10-03-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jucebox View Post
Id look into the eaton Tru Trac, I want one to replace my elocker
That's what I put in my rig after my Eaton G80 stopped working. Eaton is a great product but those clutches go out around 100K

For the price they are tough to beat, looked at going to a selectable untill I saw the price. They are the bee's knees for sure but awfully spendy. (The ARB anyway)

I keep hearing how bad Tru Tracks are on ice but I haven't noticed any slipping on ice in the 5 yrs or so I've had it and I run 35's you would think it would be obvious but I've never once noticed it.

Mine is a Detroit Tru Trac, Eaton is also bulletproof and makes a selectable E-locker. If I'm not mistaken they are both owned by the same company.

Bought mine from Summit when our Peso was at par, believe it was around $500 with new bearings and an install kit.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aciousB View Post
It's going in a 1.5gen XTerra. I prefer selectable for precisely the reason you mentioned. What was total cost for purchase/installation of your ARB setup?
Don't know the cost, it was in the rig when I bought it.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I keep hearing how bad Tru Tracks are on ice but I haven't noticed any slipping on ice in the 5 yrs or so I've had it and I run 35's you would think it would be obvious but I've never once noticed it.
In my jeep TJ I had the detroit in the rear with a tru trac up front. Never any problems with the tru trac, only with the detroit in the back on icy roads.

If you are just looking for a weekend warrior hunting fishing rig then a tru trac setup front and rear would be ideal and you wouldn't have to think about it. I believe they're only rated for up to a 32" tire though, but I ran my jeep with heavy 34" swamper LTB's and it did fine.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:05 AM

Eaton bought Detroit locker/Tru-track a few yrs back. They are not a little company.
I really like having a locker in the back end. Lot of stuff that you don't have to engage 4x4 for with a locker. Tru Tracks are better for the front end.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:42 AM
Banned

A properly set up Detroit Tru-track in the rear will do wonders. Add a locking diff in the front and you are unstoppable!

I would dissuade anyone from putting a Detroit locker in the rear unless it's an off-road only rig.