Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 AM

Default A purist in the making... to share

I was thinking about this and realising that I am a very proud father and lucky man, but what is there now....

My little buddy and I tied some flies this year and he sat down and tied a few Idaho nymphs because they are dynamite where we vacation and go fly-fishing in BC. I mentioned in jest that a true fly fisherman ties flies with his own hair!...So he asked me to clip some for him and he tied up a fly using some of his own hair....

We are out on a lake in BC and he catches a beautiful 20" trout, and then a handful more which he released....I asked him what he was using as he was lucky and since we are very good friends he told me that he was using the "(His name) special" I asked what he meant and he said the fly he tied with his own hair.

I was actually kind of speechless and I think back to that day often and realise he has reached a pinnacle of fly fishing purism that I can only aspire to. The student has far exceeded his teacher.

The rotten kid is only 10 and now what!.... I now asked him what we are going to do to top that and he is planning our hike-in trip next year for Golden Trout. He has become a fishing fanatic... he often picks up his rod and practices casting in the back yard and when he needs more distance out into the street...

When he was 6 he said he was going to be a fishing guide when he grows up....and I think he is well on his way....

Just thought I would share!.... Seeing a 10 year old fly fisher, catching a 20" rainbow from a pristine BC lake on a fly tied by him with his own hair... Priceless!...
Old 08-19-2013, 11:24 AM

In all honesty one of the most exciting things as a parent is watching their youngster get hooked on their "thing". Doesn't matter what it is, just seeing the passion for something come out at a young age makes a Dad's heart proud!!! It's obvious you are enjoying this moment and are proud, as you should be.

I think in our times something like this becomes rarer, not sure why. After a few false starts in other things, we had a son get hooked on photography at a young age, it's now his work and he's loving it.

I may be biased, but I think fishing is a fine passion and tying flies will get a young man through many a cold winter.

Thomas Sowell