Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
clap, clap clap......

Your right, that's for helping me see the light................Bring on the xbows it will save hunting in Alberta! I'm on board....thx dodge dakota.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
The Ironic part is some of the calmer discusions , still never had anyone answer certain questions from the pro xbows....but instead they through out sarcastic comments and verbal assaults, and bait some guys on here to get banned.
Please show me where somebody was banned in this thread for their anti-crossbow stance? Go back and look:

JustinC was suspended (not banned) for calling other members names in a thread of the Guns and Ammo discussion... not because he said anything here.

BowhuntAB was suspended twice (not banned) for having multiple user names. As a matter of fact, he has been warned that if we discover another multiple user name related to his account he will be permanently banned. I think we've discovered (and banned) four different accounts related to him so far.

HerdBull was banned because we (I know, we're a little slow sometimes) finally got an admission he was a former member who stole from other users of this forum. I hope you can appreciate that banning.

So, your accusation is without merit. Make sure you get your facts straight in the future.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:13 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Please show me where somebody was banned in this thread for their anti-crossbow stance? Go back and look:

JustinC was suspended (not banned) for calling other members names in a thread of the Guns and Ammo discussion... not because he said anything here.

BowhuntAB was suspended twice (not banned) for having multiple user names. As a matter of fact, he has been warned that if we discover another multiple user name related to his account he will be permanently banned. I think we've discovered (and banned) four different accounts related to him so far.

HerdBull was banned because we (I know, we're a little slow sometimes) finally got an admission he was a former member who stole from other users of this forum. I hope you can appreciate that banning.

So, your accusation is without merit. Make sure you get your facts straight in the future.
My point number one in post 358 pretty well covers it....

Quote:
1) It doesn't matter what the facts really are...it only matters how you see them in your mind and it's okay to totally discount them to serve your needs.
potty just likely saw them different in his mind.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

elkhunter69 seemed to be behaving...was he bowhuntab? just wondering...if its noone's beeswax no sweat..sorry for asking.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
elkhunter69 seemed to be behaving...was he bowhuntab? just wondering...if its noone's beeswax no sweat..sorry for asking.
Bingo!
Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 PM

I personally won't trade in my bow for a cross bow, but i would see it as another opportunity for my soon to be 12 yr old daughter . She can shoot decently, but can't yet pull 45 #'s. So a cross bow would give her the chance to join me in a treestand, not a bad idea !

Yes there will be issues and some misuses of these, just lilke any other group, but i think the overall idea is still sound, there will be a chance to draw more often, but on a more specific and limited basis. Choosing a weapon isn't all bad , most just like to have the fall back plan of the gun incase it doesn't work out with the bow ,Or the open tag when not drawn for gun season.

There are certainly some tough choices coming, they can't all be bad !( i hope)
Old 04-14-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
but can't yet pull 45 #'s. So a cross bow would give her the chance to join me in a treestand, not a bad idea !( i hope)
Just so you know the minimum draw weight required is 40 lbs not 45.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:30 PM

40 - 45 either way , shes not there yet, so it would still allow her to join me ! Which means i'm gonna need a double seater treestand ! yippee , i'm going shopping again ! This should help the economy recover, see how the gov't is helping again !
Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Rob all I was saying that , there emotions got them banned, because they took exception to certain comments........ it's not an accusation towards the forum.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Rob all I was saying that , there emotions got them banned, because they took exception to certain comments........ it's not an accusation towards the forum.
Kind of like a guy that beats his wife? It's her fault for making him mad enough to do it?

Come on Potty, it seems most of the trouble makers on here can be traced back to having a half dozen or more accounts. It's against the rules and it adds little to the board. There's lots of room for emotional debate but creating additional accounts to bolster your position and jump in when needed...come on...you really don't support that do you? As far as I know at least you are man enough to fight your own battles without the help of several more screen names. On most forums it's an instant life ban for having multiple accounts. Rob seems very tolerant from what I've seen.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Again Potty, and I realize it is probably just an error in your post but I want to make this perfectly clear to everybody; nobody was banned for any anti-crossbow posts or any anti-crossbow stance. Nobody.

I appreciate there was no accusation made towards the forum.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Crossbow hunters would come exclusively from the ranks of rifle hunters despite countless evidence to the contrary in other jurisdictions.
My google skills are a bit lacking, could you point me to the report (I'm assuming it's in a gov't report) that indicates this?

Thanks in advance for your time TJ.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Kind of like a guy that beats his wife? It's her fault for making him mad enough to do it?

Come on Potty, it seems most of the trouble makers on here can be traced back to having a half dozen or more accounts. It's against the rules and it adds little to the board. There's lots of room for emotional debate but creating additional accounts to bolster your position and jump in when needed...come on...you really don't support that do you? As far as I know at least you are man enough to fight your own battles without the help of several more screen names. On most forums it's an instant life ban for having multiple accounts. Rob seems very tolerant from what I've seen.
No, I agree with you,

And I do try, 700+ posts and millions of hours might suggest that!!!

Doesn't the system have an I.P address mode, that only allows one account? how do we know that there are other mulitples, other than the low post count?
Old 04-14-2010, 03:02 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
My google skills are a bit lacking, could you point me to the report (I'm assuming it's in a gov't report) that indicates this?

Thanks in advance for your time TJ.
The quote makes no sense....I suspect it's out of context, incomplete or I mistyped. Either way, I never said/meant crossbow users would come exclusvely from rifle hunters. A percentage would come from current vertical bow users. I'm sure your Google skills are as good as mine....well other than I prefer Yahoo.

Last edited by sheephunter; 04-14-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
In the brief time I've been involved in this thread I've learned:

1) It doesn't matter what the facts really are...it only matter how you see them in your mind and it's okay to totally discount them to serve your needs.

2) Bow hunters are superior hunters and are more dedicated hunters than rifle hunters, unless of course said bow hunter picks up a rifle and then that superiority follows him

3) Crossbow hunters would come exclusively from the ranks of rifle hunters despite countless evidence to the contrary in other jurisdictions.

4) Rifle hunters/wannabe crossbow hunters are hillbillies

5) All rifle hunters present a considerable danger to bow hunters sharing the field at the same time. So considerable that it keeps bow hunters out of the field.

6) Rifle hunters never get out of the truck, save for those few bow hunters that occasionally pick up a rifle when it suits their needs.

7) You can call yourself an exclusive bow hunter even though you occasionally hunt with a rifle.

Ya, I can't see how readers of this post could get a bad impression of bow hunters.......ugh

I'm glad I know a lot of other bowhunters potty......what I've read here could cause me to generalize about them and that would be wrong.......Thankfully, the vast majority I know share nothing in common with a few here and are a positive influence on hunting...not a negative.....

Many of them oppose crossbows and I respect their opinion and have learned for their thoughts. I can't say the same about you.......

I just would like to know where you got your information from.

Thanks again for your time TJ
Old 04-14-2010, 03:15 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
I just would like to know where you got your information from.

Thanks again for your time TJ
As I stated at the top of that post, I got it from reading the posts on this thread.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Wow. Just wow. He was so passionate.

Thanks for throwing out the trash Rob.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:47 PM

it would be interesting to see how many people actually make the switch to a xbow ! If i'm not mistaken, the xbow industry is the one pushing for the inclusion ! The first year of sales would probably be pretty high, but as more people actually realise how hard it is to consistantly get within 30 yrds for a clear shot , there will probably be a bunch in the for sale part of the forum or gatherin dust in a closet !

Bowhunting has made me a far better hunter and i've witnessed some amazing things when being that quiet, but it's also some of the most frustrating hunting you can do ! Nothin like 10 yrds from something and not able to shoot ! Would the overall numbers of hunters in new "archgery" season increase that significantly, and is it then sustained, or just a short fad?
Old 04-14-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Doesn't the system have an I.P address mode, that only allows one account? how do we know that there are other mulitples, other than the low post count?
In my house there are many computers, and two forum members. All of those computers use the same IP address. In blocking multiple users from the same IP address, that would block one of the legitimate users in my household. There are other households where there are multiple users as well (JTS1's and WayneChristie's households are two of them . . . their wives have accounts).

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned

thats a good point. so how do you keep the weeds out of the lawn? a couple have been pretty obvious, but some get away with it.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It has something to do with proxy servers that are used by Telus, Shaw etc. Meaning several users could be using the same IP at any one time. So, we have no way of knowing if there are other users with multiple accounts. However, we search IPs regularly, match them up, and often it is quite easy to recognize those who have multiple accounts. In fact, sometimes it is so obvious it isn't even funny.

We then cross-reference posts made by the user. Sometimes these guys debate with themselves. Pretty silly, but it takes all kinds to make the world go round.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Sometimes these guys debate with themselves. Pretty silly, but it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

And I thought I needed to "get a life."

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
. Sometimes these guys debate with themselves. Pretty silly, but it takes all kinds to make the world go round.
fixed IP addy's & multiple users also complicate things. What happens if you have 2 guys @ the same work site that don't agree with other?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Doesn't appear to happen that often, in fact; I'm not sure I can remember an instance such as that. But, nonetheless, I'm sure it happens. Such is the world of the Internet. Life would be so much easier if we were all given a single IP address from which to live our lives. Then again, that too, would open a whole new can of worms.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Administrator

We do the best we can with what we've been given to work with.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:51 PM

I noticed that that there are many references to "facts", "data" and "reports" to other provinces/states to support or not support X-bows, where the x-bow hunters come from (bow vs rifle hunters) and harvest rates. The documents I have found online seem to be all over the place and I question the term of "facts". It seems both sides are using data to their advantage. The regs are all over the place as well and comparing Alberta to some of the other places is really meaningless.
I did notice that most of the data has been collected on whitetail deer hunters and harvests...I think the concern in Alberta is our speciality sps (moose, antelope, sheep, etc). Most of the other provinces don't have the same amount of multi sps and our draw system, so we are not comparing the same thing.
While I agree with coming up with new ways to get new hunters I am not convinced that adding X-bows is one of them. So, I question the potential lost of general seasons for no real gain in hunting numbers. It might get more hunters out and in different timings (which is always a good thing) but that might be only short lived until the lost of general seasons.
Anyways my thoughts....
Old 04-14-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
As I stated at the top of that post, I got it from reading the posts on this thread.
TJ, I'm sensing a bit of evasiveness in your answers or you don't understand the question. Specifically, you state despite countless evidence to the contrary in other jurisdictions.

Now, where did you get that information? It most certainly contradicts the information I've been given so I'd really appreciate it if you could cite your source. I'm interested in reading it.

Again, thanks for your time.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
I noticed that that there are many references to "facts", "data" and "reports" to other provinces/states to support or not support X-bows, where the x-bow hunters come from (bow vs rifle hunters) and harvest rates. The documents I have found online seem to be all over the place and I question the term of "facts". It seems both sides are using data to their advantage. The regs are all over the place as well and comparing Alberta to some of the other places is really meaningless.
I did notice that most of the data has been collected on whitetail deer hunters and harvests...I think the concern in Alberta is our speciality sps (moose, antelope, sheep, etc). Most of the other provinces don't have the same amount of multi sps and our draw system, so we are not comparing the same thing.
While I agree with coming up with new ways to get new hunters I am not convinced that adding X-bows is one of them. So, I question the potential lost of general seasons for no real gain in hunting numbers. It might get more hunters out and in different timings (which is always a good thing) but that might be only short lived until the lost of general seasons.
Anyways my thoughts....
If you take out the states that have limited rifle oportunities and compare those states/provinces with a wide variety of opportunities you do see a fairly consistent trend. No question crossbow participation is higher in states with limited rifle opportunities.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 PM

I picked the states that I would like to hunt and that have a similiar diverse amount of sps and this is my list Montana (Crossbows legal only during gun seasons), Alaska (Crossbows are illegal in bow-only areas) Arizona (Crossbows legal for handicapped hunters on a very restrictive permit basis, or for anyone during general firearms seasons), Colorado (Crossbows legal for all hunters during gun seasons and for handicapped hunters during archery season) Wyoming (Crossbows legal during archery seasons) and Utah
(Crossbows legal only for handicapped hunters by permit).
So the way I see it more areas with diverse big game sps seem to not include crossbows which is quite similiar to Canada.
It could explain all the data that comes out from eastern Canada/States that states it has little affect on harvest, hunter numbers and which weapon group the new crossbow hunters come from.
It seems the areas that are mainly whitetails are more willing to accept crossbows in the archery season as it really does not affect any hunting opportunities (no whitetail draws).
It would be interesting to see data on other sps that might be more acceptable to archery hunting and allow hunters easier access to sps that they would not normally get. My opinion is that the data would be a bit different than what is stated in this thread.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Banned

bc is right next door. wide variety of species and xbows legal in archery season for 20 plus years.
Closed Thread