Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-19-2023, 01:10 PM

Default What are your TIPS for bull moose?

Hi everyone,

I got pulled for a bull moose this year and am eager to harvest one with my bow (will be my first).
We definitely have moose in the area we have permission so I know we are in the right area. We are near the Red Deer river, east of Red Deer. I am assuming rut should be last week of Sept to Thanksgiving?

Question is...what are your TOP TIPS for archery bull moose?
Call or Not?
Spot and stalk?
pre-rut or post?
How important is keeping wind in your face?

Please school me!
Old 07-19-2023, 01:18 PM

Tactics will depend on when you are hunting - September-ish you wont necessarily get the best responses to cow calls (in some cases you're better off using bull grunts), but as you approach the first week(s) of October that tends to change.

After that period, it changes again. Not to say that they won't respond to calls, but your results are more random.

Lots of variables involved, like any other kind of hunting.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:20 PM

Patience, patience, patience.

BW
Old 07-19-2023, 02:29 PM

last week of sept things start to get fun. Oct 1 i called 5 bulls in. Let a little guy walk, had the big guy i was after come in right after but couldnt seal the deal. Other bulls came in on a string as well but it was too thick to get a shot.

Id find somewhere to sit and call and just hang out with the wind in your face for at least an hour. they will come.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:35 PM

Without knowing your skill level, I’d say your best chance is to get into a stand, and call. Get into the bush where you have good visibility, and enough of an opening where you can make a 30 yd shot. You’re better off letting them do the walking. Stay in same spot a minimum of 3 days. Only move if you have another spot that is out of earshot if first setup. September can be warm and they tend to move closer to dusk. Patience is key. Scent free decoy can’t hurt.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:39 PM

This is my black blanket at 50 yds

Best of luck to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
This is my black blanket at 50 yds
I have a folded-up piece of landscape fabric just for that purpose!

Weighs almost nothing, and when hung up in some willows, you do a double-take even when you know it's there.
Old 07-19-2023, 07:07 PM

To me, the most important feature, is the sun shouldn’t be able to penetrate it. This is why I’m not fond of the Montana decoys
Old 07-19-2023, 07:24 PM

Oh
And while in stand, take an armful of 3’ by 2” diameter dead branches with you. Break one after every cow call series. That loud gunshot of a snap really helps sell the sequence. Moose and elk are very familiar with the sound.
Old 07-19-2023, 08:27 PM

I hunt known travel corridors. Sit on quiet days. Sneak around on windy/rainy. I don't call unless I see one so I can watch reaction.

I've also gone to a few spots in the middle of the night and cow called a few times then backed out. Sometimes a Bull is close come morning light.
Old 07-19-2023, 08:45 PM

Think of the rut as a gradual build up, to a peak - then it falls off a cliff. Once the cows are done the bulls move into the thick stuff for winter and don’t move, so hunt real hard starting sept 20. Peak in AB is Oct 4. Good movement to about oct 10.

Don’t be stupid about antlers for your first, especially with archery (I was…twice )

99% of the time they circle downwind in cover if you’re calling. I call, deploy scent and move downwind to a spot with shooting lanes.

Moose seem to know the difference between scent left behind, and scent coming directly from a hunter. They don’t bugger from old scent the way whitetails do, but they don’t hesitate for a second if they wind you.

Since you’re hunting prairie/farmland, if you find a cow that has taken up residence in a spot, keep checking on her with optics from a distance.

Tracking a moose in bush is almost pointless. They instinctively j-hook and watch their back trail, and are gone before you get anywhere close.
Old 07-19-2023, 08:54 PM

Before you stick an arrow in a moose at that time of year you need to have a plan in place on how your going to get it out quickly. You also need to have a cooler lined up before hand.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:51 AM

Be aware they can hear cow calls from well over a mile away, and if you know where the cows are, and have the wind to work to get between them, they will make ther way to you, sometimes they trot, sometimes they grunt a little fast grunt all the way in, often a little guy, sometimes they come in an just crack an antler against a tree, then wait to see what happens, that is usually a bigger guy. You need to make cow in distress calls, and the occasional bull grunt. Listen to them on some videos, cows may look for and harass their bull that isn't responding properly to them when they are actually in heat, if there are a few cows together. Young ones can come straight in to as close as 10ft, or hang up at 100 yds, big guys most often hang up. Need a bit of noise in an area they can't see into to get them moving again, soft cow calls can help, feeding noises can help. If a big guy knows the cows are there behind you, sometimes a soft series of grunts after a distress call, will bring him in like a freight train.
Old 07-20-2023, 11:36 AM

Lots of great tips in here, I'm in the same boat as the OP.

The black blanket sounds like an awesome idea
Old 07-20-2023, 12:57 PM

I’ve learned a few things over the years, and made a lot more F ups than I care to admit.

1. Water, call near water. Moose love water and it’s their safe place, feed and drinking fountain. I particularly like beaver ponds intermixed with creeks and marshy area.
2. If it’s hot, they like to bed in cool, thick shade. Think tamaracks that the sun can’t shine through where the ground is shady and cool, again, near water. Find the sign with these features around it and you’ll find moose.
3. Wind is everything. 99% of the bulls will try to get your wind before exposing themselves. Try to call in a spot where they’ll have to expose themselves to see you. At the same time, if you call on the edge of a pond they will often circle it using cover to get in close. I have had success in small openings just off water that they feel more comfortable in. Open birch stands near ponds are a great spot to setup in.
4. Calling, cow calls are key to getting a bull started I find. Don’t over call, a good 1-2 minute session every 20-30 minutes is all you need. I’ll call in one spot for 45 minutes then move 400 yards or so. I like to call again where I can still see the first place I called from and have it upwind of my last call. Lots of times a bull will sneak in without making a sound where you had just called from.
5. Once a bull is grunting and coming, you’ll most likely experience the “hang up” once a bull is grunting hard and coming, I shut up and just listen. He’ll grunt a lot of the way in then stand there often. I’ve had success enticing him to commit with a few soft grunts or raking trees lightly. Think about setting up a fake scenario in your head where there’s a cow bawling for a mate and you have that bull coming but he’s not fully committed. Lots of times if he thinks another dinky bull is hanging around and he doesn’t want to lose that cow he’ll come in to assert to the little bull that he owns that cow and the small bull better back off. It hardly has to be anything outrageous just tickle the willows with a paddle and maybe a few soft grunts. Repeatedly cow calling at him makes him think something weird is up, small very LOW VOLUME cow calls mixed with light raking will often send him over the edge and he’ll commit.
6. Be ready to move. If he’s coming and you hear him getting downwind you have to be willing to move, try and cut him off. If there’s a caller and shooter make sure that shooter has kill mode switched on and be willing to get between that bull and the caller to make a shot opportunity happen. Standing in one spot repeatedly cow calling will sometimes yield success, but not often. Set the scene for him so he wants to come in. And then get in a position to kill him.
7. Don’t limit your shot by standing behind a big tree or bush. Moose use their noses and ears mostly, stand in front of a bush so you’re blended in and you have shooting lanes, don’t ruin the one opportunity you may get by hiding behind a bush you can’t shoot through.

These are just things that come to mind. Big lessons I’ve learned are calling too often, calling like a robot expecting the bull to just beeline in to me after the same cow call over and over, and calling in an area that either isn’t conducive to getting a shot, or too big and open that no matter what you do the bull won’t be comfortable coming in (too open, too big of a lm opening to cross etc). Sometimes they are so shy they won’t even come on a cutline and just handrail it instead. Be ready to think outside the box and move into a position to kill the bull. Always, always be aware of the wind/thermals when you’re calling.

I’ve been moose hunting for 20+ years and now I guide moose for archery only. I call in lots of bulls but sometimes it’s hard to get everything to line up. Nothing beats calling moose in the rut. It’s a rush!!! Good luck and have fun!!!!
Old 07-20-2023, 06:58 PM

There's lots of good advice here already, but I'll chime in.

The #1 best place to call is on fresh bull moose sign, if you can find it and recognize it. No question, that's where to call. But even if you find that fresh sign...

#2. The second thing is, pick your calling site strategically.

We have never sought out water when calling. Instead my priority is fresh bull sign #1, then a calling site that gives us the advantage when that bull comes in.

You've got to pick a spot that a moose is going to be comfortable coming to, but at the same time give you the advantages of wind, and your own ability to hear and spot the moose coming in.

Like calling in really thick cover is great as far as the moose is concerned, but if you do that you must either be in a treestand, or have shooting lanes downwind of you.

We always try to utilize an elevation. I want a place where my call is going to carry and I want to be able to hear the response.

Calling in ideal weather. No wind. Cold, clear mornings. I always prefer the morning. You can call from daybreak right up to 11:00, then head to camp.

Return to the same spot in the afternoon, call again until just before dark, head to camp.

Rinse and repeat. It's amazing how calling in the same spot, 2 to 3 days and finally your bull shows up.

We've had many hunts in which a bull called immediately of course, and then they are coming in like a freight train.

With experience you will learn when you hear a bull's grunts is he coming hard? Is he circling to get downwind? Most do, but some bulls will come in so hard they ignore the wind.

The idea of calling in a spot then moving and calling in a different spot I disagree with. The first time you call, the bull hears you, he's already zeroed in on the first sport where he heard your call.
Because many bulls will be coming in silent, so you mess them up by moving.

I have sat in the bush and listened to cow moose calling, seeking a bull. It's interesting as heck to hear.
And then when she gets a bull response guess what? She's heading straight to the bull.

I had an experience like that in Swan Hills country. I had a helluva time keeping up with that cow, as she went cross-country toward the bull. He was grunting and moving toward her too, right.

But the advice given in a previous post, if a bull is coming in wary, and trying to get downwind, if you don't move toward that bull he's going to get suspicious and hang up.
Use a softer more seductive cow call, move toward him and you can pull that bull in.

I pretty much only use cow calls. Like 90%.

But I've seen many very experienced hunters that use nothing but bull grunts and raking.

I like to use an old dry shoulder blade to rake trees.

The idea that "this is the only way to do it..." is hogwash.

You've got to be adaptable.

Sept 18 2022. I called this bull in after finding smoking fresh bull track crossing a side road. A very short hunt...

"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker

Last edited by Demonical; 07-20-2023 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:38 PM

I personally like to hunt moose that are close to a road...lol ...to all of us who have humped 5 to 8 pieces of moose out of the bush...interesting event where a buddy and his wife missed a bull a couple of times ...and timed him to when he entered the bush and crossed the cutline early each morning....3 rd time lucky and he was fast apparently
Old 07-20-2023, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post

The #1 best place to call is on fresh bull moose sign, if you can find it and recognize it. No question, that's where to call. But even if you find that fresh sign...

We have never sought out water when calling. Instead my priority is fresh bull sign #1, then a calling site that gives us the advantage when that bull comes in.

You've got to pick a spot that a moose is going to be comfortable coming to, but at the same time give you the advantages of wind, and your own ability to hear and spot the moose coming in.

Like calling in really thick cover is great as far as the moose is concerned, but if you do that you must either be in a treestand, or have shooting lanes downwind of you.

We always try to utilize an elevation. I want a place where my call is going to carry and I want to be able to hear the response.

Calling in ideal weather. No wind. Cold, clear mornings. I always prefer the morning. You can call from daybreak right up to 11:00, then head to camp.

Return to the same spot in the afternoon, call again until just before dark, head to camp.

Rinse and repeat. It's amazing how calling in the same spot, 2 to 3 days and finally your bull shows up.

We've had many hunts in which a bull called immediately of course, and then they are coming in like a freight train.

With experience you will learn when you hear a bull's grunts is he coming hard? Is he circling to get downwind? Most do, but some bulls will come in so hard they ignore the wind.

The idea of calling in a spot then moving and calling in a different spot I disagree with. The first time you call, the bull hears you, he's already zeroed in on the first sport where he heard your call.

I have sat in the bush and listened to cow moose calling, seeking a bull. It's interesting as heck to hear.
And then when she gets a bull response guess what? She's heading straight to the bull.

I had an experience like that in Swan Hills country. I had a helluva time keeping up with that cow, as she went cross-country toward the bull. He was grunting and moving toward her too, right.

But the advice given in a previous post, if a bull is coming in wary, and trying to get downwind, if you don't move toward that bull he's going to get suspicious and hang up.
Use a softer more seductive cow call, move toward him and you can pull that bull in.

But I've seen many very experienced hunters that use nothing but bull grunts and raking.

Sept 18 2022. I called this bull in after finding smoking fresh bull track crossing a side road. A very short hunt...

I find a lot of this post mirroring my experiences. Thanks for the pics
Old 07-21-2023, 07:45 AM

100% the bulls will circle through the bush to get a whiff of you.

The one i had a good opportunity on he tried to circle me and i had to move through the bush along with him to not let him get my wind. Once he was on the edge of a cutline i stopped and drew, he stayed right on the edge with just his head out in the cutline and vitals behind a tree. Wind swirled and he caught my scent.

All the bulls I called after that did the same thing, except it was so thick I couldnt move without making a racket. lessons learned that day.
Old 07-21-2023, 11:36 PM

Quote:

Pays attention to this feller, boys. He knows of that which he speaks. Thanks for sharing all the pics, Demonical. I dare say you’ve eaten your fair share of moose stew
Old 07-22-2023, 12:29 AM

One thing I hate is calling in the wind.

The problem with windy days is, while the bull can hear you, you likely won't hear him.
And you have to understand that if a bull responds to you, and begins to call back to you, some bulls expect you to respond back.

But if you don't hear that bull and then don't call back to him, it might make him wary. He might quit the game altogether.

Without exaggerating, I can tell you you that when I hear a bulls call, 99% I know from the first call how he's going to react, is he coming hard, going to be a pain in the ass etc...

So if I was going to call in the wind, then that's when I want to either be in a large open cutblock or a treestand, where if I couldn't hear the bull, at least I might be able to spot them.

Sometimes you call and you hear the bulls call very clearly, and he may just keep calling and coming in.
In that situation DO NOT call back... he's already commited, already on the string.
But you've got to be able to recognize that call.

Listen for any call he throws that is seeking your response, you can learn to identify that, versus the steady grunts that says he's coming no matter what.

And like point #2, one of my most important points, before you ever throw out that first call, set your calling site up so that you have the advantage of openings downwind, so that bull that tries to circle into your wind is going to have to cross an opening, a shooting lane etc...

Patience and belief in your set-up is absolutely critical.

Too many moose hunters call, don't get a quick response, lack faith in their location or calling ability, and don't realize they've already got a bull(s) coming (in silent) but they decide to quit hunting, or think they need to go to a 'better spot'.

And then the next day, they are off to another spot, and there's an excellent chance that the bull(s) they gave up on the day before is right at the calling site where they were the previous day. Or is close by, and if those hunters had gone back there and called, they might have that moose on top of them within minutes.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-25-2023, 06:20 PM

I've been off camping for a few days decided to look in on this thread.

Here's some stuff I've been thinking:

1. Have you got some trail cams set out? It would be nice to have an idea on some of the bulls on your hunting property? It's a private land deal I gather?

2. If you are hunting on one property, how big is it? Are you limited to that one property?

3. Do you already have some type strategy's in mind? Like will you place some ladder stands? Or do you hunt from a self-climber? Or are you strictly planning to hunt from ground stands?

4. And what kind of country is it? Is it all natural bush? Agricultural land?

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-31-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I've been off camping for a few days decided to look in on this thread.

Here's some stuff I've been thinking:

1. Have you got some trail cams set out? It would be nice to have an idea on some of the bulls on your hunting property? It's a private land deal I gather?

2. If you are hunting on one property, how big is it? Are you limited to that one property?

3. Do you already have some type strategy's in mind? Like will you place some ladder stands? Or do you hunt from a self-climber? Or are you strictly planning to hunt from ground stands?

4. And what kind of country is it? Is it all natural bush? Agricultural land?
1. Got trail cams set out, private land, Have seen multiple bulls around the end of Sept each year for the last few years.

2. +- 200 acres, there's crown in the zone but mostly sticking to the private land.

3. Tree stands mostly with archery gear

4. A mix of grazing pasture and treed land with a coulee/creek running through it, bordering some crop land.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:43 PM

^ Man that sounds wicked!

Phil Shoemaker
Old 08-12-2023, 10:24 PM

I’ve alway been good with getting into an area you know holds moose 🫎 and grunting. Every time I’ve done this moose appear👍🏻
Old 08-12-2023, 10:47 PM

If you are going to bull grunt, get yourself a dried shoulder blade or a small moose shed antler, and try some brush raking along with your grunts.

Especially early to mid-Sept before the rut, as bulls will be starting to feel the hormones.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 08-30-2023, 02:57 PM

Cow call mid september to mid october. Get up in a tree stand if you can so he's less likely to wind you. Buy a matte black blanket and throw it over a shrub under or behind your setup so he has something to look at and doesn't spook when he looks for his cow but doesn't see her, it also takes his eyes off of you. Hot days, limit your hunt to near his water source, otherwise, don't expect him to do a ton of moving around if its +20. I called mine in with just cupped hands. No fancy calls or anything.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:29 AM

I'm going out on a scouting trip tomorrow.

#1 is I hope to find fresh bull moose sign.

#2 I'm collecting trail cam memory cards, with a bit of luck maybe they reveal bull moose activity.

And then take it from there, if there's no fresh sign and no pics then I'll look into other areas.

Edit to ad: My scouting will be totally done on foot. Going on about a 7km hike.
If I was on the ATV I'd likely miss critical sign. On foot I shouldn't miss a thing.

Phil Shoemaker

Last edited by Demonical; 09-07-2023 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywroe View Post
Hi everyone,

I got pulled for a bull moose this year and am eager to harvest one with my bow (will be my first).
We definitely have moose in the area we have permission so I know we are in the right area. We are near the Red Deer river, east of Red Deer. I am assuming rut should be last week of Sept to Thanksgiving?

Question is...what are your TOP TIPS for archery bull moose?
Call or Not?
Spot and stalk?
pre-rut or post?
How important is keeping wind in your face?

Please school me!
Hey Jay, we drew for cow moose in the same area. PM me and we will exchange numbers. We will help you out. We know the area very, very well.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glas Ó Cairealláin View Post
Hey Jay, we drew for cow moose in the same area. PM me and we will exchange numbers. We will help you out. We know the area very, very well.
I'm not able to message you for some reason. Message me.

Sent from my SM-S906W using Tapatalk