Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 09:07 PM

Default Is it OK to keep a gun in a soft case as a permanent storage?

Pretty much what the title says. I only have three guns and don't see a need for a gun safe at this point. I keep my shot in a gun sock, my .22 is simply covered by cloth for dust protection. I am thinking to throw my BLR into a soft gun case and keep it there. Is that OK?

Always appreciate your input!
Old 09-20-2017, 09:09 PM

If you can gaurantee there is no moisture or humidity it will work. I only use cases for transportation. When i get home they get cleaned, oiled and back in the cabinets they go.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:15 PM

All of my firearms are stored in cases. Just be sure that both the firearm and the case are dry before placing the firearm in the case. I also spray a bit of G-96 Gun Treatment onto the lining of every case, so that the case always has a G-96 vapor present in it to prevent any corrosion. I have never had a corrosion issue in over 40 years of storing firearms this way.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:01 PM

Thank you for the replies! Greatly appreciated.

Will have to look into the G-96 Gun Treatment thing
Old 09-21-2017, 07:09 AM

Default Huh

I can tell you I see quite a few rusted firearms a year from being stored in cases, especially soft cases. It's not the cases fault, but it takes a meticulous fellow like Elkhunter11, to treat and ensure every item that goes into that case is dry. The problem with zip cases it's easy to temporarily place a wet gun in the field in there, take it out at home, clean up the firearm and place it back into case. At least a hard case you can easily upen it up for drying, most soft cases average joe uses often unzip only 3/4 of the way. That last 1/4 has eaten a lot of barrels.
There are no shortcuts.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:32 AM

Some of the gel packs that come with many electronic purchases work great for absorbing moisture. Go to a Visions or other electronics outlet. They usually have some around from demo models. I keep a couple in the gun safe as well.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Some of the gel packs that come with many electronic purchases work great for absorbing moisture. Go to a Visions or other electronics outlet. They usually have some around from demo models. I keep a couple in the gun safe as well.
Just make sure to bake the moisture out of them every few months. Thrown them in the oven for a little bit to dry them out.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:01 AM

You can't just put a gun in a soft case and call it properly stored.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-21-2017, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
They are real inexpensive to buy
https://www.amazon.ca/Interesting%C2...ture+absorbers
Old 09-21-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Good Tip!
I do this as well
Old 09-21-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Pretty much what the title says. I only have three guns and don't see a need for a gun safe at this point. I keep my shot in a gun sock, my .22 is simply covered by cloth for dust protection. I am thinking to throw my BLR into a soft gun case and keep it there. Is that OK?

Always appreciate your input!
The worst way possible to store a firearm is sealed in a soft case. Much like taking a cold glass out of the freezer, a firearm will sweat while warming and rust over time. The only firearms that I have seen truly rusted in Alberta were stored improperly in cases.

So yes you can let it sit illegally in the corner while it completes the drying process and then lube and store it every time you come in from the cold, IF the inside of the case is completely and thoroughly dry. As previously mentioned, a soft case is not safe storage so a trigger lock of some sort should be used as well. If you are using a trigger lock then IMO storing the firearm after cleaning would be better without the use of the case.

Your best bet would be to pick up one of the cheap metal safes often on sale for around $100 or used for less. CT use to put this one on for 1/2 price from time to time but I haven't been watching lately. It is certainly not fire resistant but if bolted down at least you know someone isn't just easily walking off with or just screwing with your firearms. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/st...5676p.html#srp

I know $100+ isn't chump change but in perspective, I put that much gas in the hunting truck at least once a week during the season and spend much more on licenses and ammo. Proper storage is a part of owning firearms and a little investment is mandatory IMO.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Banned

Man, such overthinking!

1. Use it
2. Clean and lube it
3. Store it legally however you see fit

How much more complicated does this need to be?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav_edge_308 View Post
Man, such overthinking!

1. Use it
2. Clean and lube it

Maybe you should provide us with a list of topics that you approve as worthy of discussion so that we don't annoy you again.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:10 AM

I built a firearm/loading room that is constructed so that it meets the legal storage requirements. As such, I do often let the firearm stand in a corner while the case fully dries. As to those tiny gun safes, I have seen too many nice firearms with so called "safe kisses" from being crammed into a safe, to store my firearms in that manner.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I built a firearm/loading room that is constructed so that it meets the legal storage requirements. As such, I do often let the firearm stand in a corner while the case fully dries. As to those tiny gun safes, I have seen too many nice firearms with so called "safe kisses" from being crammed into a safe, to store my firearms in that manner.
Yeah, they are not ideal but as opposed to a sealed case somewhere they are the best option. Overcrowding is generally the reason for scuffs and when the safe says it will hold 8 guns probably 4 is more realistic. The OP only has a couple so this shouldn't be an issue.

A locked gun room with a hidden entrance (like a trick door book shelf) would be awesome but maybe in the next life. It would definitely be worth the investment for a reloader. I have seen some absolutely awesome ones in my travels that you would never know were in the house with out a bunch of measuring or blueprints.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Yeah, they are not ideal but as opposed to a sealed case somewhere they are the best option. Overcrowding is generally the reason for scuffs and when the safe says it will hold 8 guns probably 4 is more realistic. The OP only has a couple so this shouldn't be an issue.

A locked gun room with a hidden entrance (like a trick door book shelf) would be awesome but maybe in the next life. It would definitely be worth the investment for a reloader. I have seen some absolutely awesome ones in my travels that you would never know were in the house with out a bunch of measuring or blueprints.
My gun room is not hidden, and a close look at the door provides an indication that there are valuables of some type inside, but it is legal, and my insurance is more than adequate should someone take the time to bypass the alarm system and break in. As to storing firearms in cases , having G-96 Gun Treatment impregnated in the lining maintains a vapor in the case similar to how people "pickle" items to prevent corrosion. The most important factor is that both the firearm and the case are dry when the firearm is placed in the case. As to the cases themselves, only a couple are soft cases, the rest are hard cases.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:50 AM

Cloth cases are not to bad , but Vynal and leather cases are a bad choice, they sweat and hold moisture. I also spray my cases with G96 . It can't hurt.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post

Yes, I too, will have one of those in my next life. A good friend of mine, who builds custom homes, had a client pour a kicked out concrete room off the basement roughly 10x18 for a client to store guns, jewelry and other stuff of value. The "door" was exactly what you described - a millwork cabinet/bookshelf with swinging "secret door" with a hidden latch would swing away and behind that the steel door going to this room. This secret room was temperature and humidity controlled and could act as a "safe room" in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

The added room construction (concrete foundation) millwork and finishing in this room, and adjacent bookshelf and entertainment unit cost the homeowner well over $100K.

Showed me a few pictures, looked pretty awesome.

In my next life, I deserve one of those !!!!!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:32 PM

Thank you for the replies.

So I grabbed a can of G-96 Gun Treatment for $26 at the local gun shop today. One question in regards to it though. Do you just spray the inside of the case, let it dry or whatever and through the gun in and close the case? Do you spray it every time you take the gun out and put it back in?

Thanks again!
Old 09-22-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Thank you for the replies.

So I grabbed a can of G-96 Gun Treatment for $26 at the local gun shop today. One question in regards to it though. Do you just spray the inside of the case, let it dry or whatever and through the gun in and close the case? Do you spray it every time you take the gun out and put it back in?

Thanks again!
I just spray a light coat on the case liner, and then let it sit for a bit, them wipe off any excess. I only do this once per year or so.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:54 AM

Found a rifle stored in a soft guncase(the vinyl type) stored in an attic for an unknown number of years, worst possible exterior conditions. The rifle was in perfect condition.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:19 PM

Thanks elkhunter!
Old 09-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav_edge_308 View Post
Man, such overthinking!

1. Use it
2. Clean and lube it

I think he's asking (legitimately) about storage and the possibility of corrosion.
No need to be a jakwagon.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:46 PM

Assuming the gun gets dried and cleaned before storing it, I would think putting it in soft case would offer protection against corrosion.
A soft case (depending on fabric) can block completely or offer more resistance to water/moisture penetration. Even a normal fabric would have a better water-vapor permeability index compared to open air humidity.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:03 PM

I've stored my T3 in a soft case for years with absolutely no issues until this year... came out from hunting for a number of days, placed my gun in the soft case, brought it inside once home and completely forgot to take it out to clean/oil. Pulled it out about 10 days later to see some wonderful rust spots covering a large swath of the barrel. Lesson (hopefully) learned. A soft case is fine as long as you properly prepare the rifle for storage prior as others have said.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:24 PM
Banned

My cases are for transporting.
If I didn't have a locker, my guns would be stored with a trigger lock behind a door. Not sealed in any way.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:41 PM

Oh good grief.

If you put a damp gun/rifle in any soft/hard case it is going to rust.

Holy moly.

There needs to be a 3 day discussion about drying and lubricating firearms prior to storage!!!!!

Apparently, common sense is not that common.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You can't just put a gun in a soft case and call it properly stored.
You pull the bolt or put on a trigger lock or throw it inside a locked room or container - any locked container.

Problem solved. Legal requirements met.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Oh good grief.
If you put a damp gun/rifle in any soft/hard case it is going to rust.
Holy moly.
There needs to be a 3 day discussion about drying and lubricating firearms prior to storage!!!!!
Apparently, common sense is not that common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
You pull the bolt or put on a trigger lock or throw it inside a locked room or container - any locked container.
Problem solved. Legal requirements met.
Had a bad today? Have nothing to say, just walk on by. Always wondering why would one make a post when one has nothing to say about the subject at hand. I guess common sense is not that common.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:52 AM

Cheap gun cabinets always on sale at CT, trigger lock or not, I would never go without that second layer of security if you have kids around.