Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2017, 03:40 PM

Default Can you bring rifle stocks across the border?

I do know that actions, ammo, scope, etc are forbidden. How about synthetic rifle stocks? I have bought Boyd stocks and they have shipped it directly to my house but I am looking at a Bell and Carlson which only sells to dealers.

Where are the rules spelled out?

THX.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:43 PM

unsure where the rules are spelt out, but i brought back some magpul furniture and 3 shotgun stock sets. was stopped by homeland on the way our through eureka. Didn't get hassled. they looked at em and away i went. so i assume not ITAR controlled.

Definitely unsure on the legalities of it tho.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:17 PM

Prophet river in Lloyd is a B&C dealer. They should be able to get you whatever you need
Old 01-09-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSpeed View Post
Prophet river in Lloyd is a B&C dealer. They should be able to get you whatever you need
Yes, but the wait time is 14 weeks. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:29 AM

might be highjacking...

What about magazines? I wanted to grab a new tikka t3 7mm rem mag magazine but it's almost 100$ for a piece of plastic...kinda bummed about that one.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Actually...
Ammo is not prohibited to bring back from the US. There are restrictions as to how much you can bring, but it's a pretty ridiculous amount. I use to do it all the time when I lived in Ontario.
As for rifle stocks, you can and I have. Didn't get any hassle whatsoever on the US side, but when I came back into Canada they wanted to see my PAL eventhough technically you don't need one to buy a stock. But whatever, it was easier to show it to them then argue technicalities.
Prophet River does sell Bell and Carlson. Stocks. I ordered one and was very happy with their service. Might seem like a long time to wait, but in the end its worth it to get what you're looking for. They also come for sale on here and the E&E on Canadingunnutz quite frequently.
Optics are a different story from what I understand. But you would have to look into that further as I don't have much experience with that.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Banned

you didn't get hassled about the ammo, 'cause you didn't get caught down there in possession of it.

you are right about it not being illegal to bring into Canada 'cause its not.......but heaven help you when homeland catches you in possession of it while you're in their country.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 PM

FYI, in another post I mentioned that I asked Stocky's, EABCO, and Thompson Barrels about shipping thumbhole stocks to me in Alberta. All three said they weren't authorised to ship to Canada.

Now, perhaps they can ship to dealers, but I was disappointed they couldn't sell to me.

I'll check out Prophet River - thanks for the hint.

Bill
Old 01-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Banned

Choate is another company who won't sell accross the border if I remember correctly.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:20 PM

Technically, you could be in possession of some products in the US, it is the part where you cross the border where you can get into trouble in the US.

Parts 121 is the place that spells out what is covered down there, a stock attaches to a gun, so it is covered. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with Canadian law and importation, this is US law, and you are an alien under their law.

https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html
Old 01-11-2017, 12:46 PM

Boyd's ships to Canada but correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a limit on the dollar value of the stock. If it's under x amount of dollars it's ok to ship but if it's over that amount they need special permits and such to ship to Canada?
Old 01-11-2017, 02:08 PM

I once tried to buy 2 boxes of 180 grain hornady sst's from brownells is was less than $100 for the order with shipping but the export permit from homeland security was $500. I cancelled the order and got my reloading stuff from x-reload.

I also just punchased a b&c stock from prophet river I had to go through them as b&c would not ship to Canada because they had be fined by homeland it was a 10 week wait. Even the Lilja barrel I picked up had to go through an importer. I think there is a cut off I'm not sure on the dollar amount my 10/22 party came across the border fine from brownells but I order them over a few months and the parts where 10-30$ each.