Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-24-2017, 08:22 PM
Banned

Default 35 Remington Reloading

Anyone out there reload 35 rem for marlin rifles. I have the newer Marlin 336 in 35 rem. The rifle shoots OK with the Hornady 200gr ftx bullets, but wanted to try the the Hornady 200 gr roundnose bullets. Loaded the bullets to the exact specs as in Hornady manual. Went to load the ammo into the rifle and found the handle doesn't close all the way to depress the trigger. I even seated the bullet lower and still the same problem. Anyone else encounter the same problem or is it the rifle or wrong bullet.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
Anyone out there reload 35 rem for marlin rifles. I have the newer Marlin 336 in 35 rem. The rifle shoots OK with the Hornady 200gr ftx bullets, but wanted to try the the Hornady 200 gr roundnose bullets. Loaded the bullets to the exact specs as in Hornady manual. Went to load the ammo into the rifle and found the handle doesn't close all the way to depress the trigger. I even seated the bullet lower and still the same problem. Anyone else encounter the same problem or is it the rifle or wrong bullet.
Try chamberings a just sized case, no primer powder or bullet. Betchya your dies aren't set up properly.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-24-2017, 08:40 PM
Banned

Already tried that, closes just fine.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:55 PM

Your seating die is set wrong.

Run a trimmed and sized case up in your press, with the ram all the way up, with no die in the press.
Loosen the lock ring on your seating die and slowly run it into your press and over the case on the press ram. You'll hit a point where you'll feel resistance as you screw the die in. Pull the ram on the press down, turn the die in 1/8 of a turn more and set the die's lock ring.

Now back out the seating stem on the seating die about 3 turns. Slowly seat the bullet into a case and slowly. Back the ram on the press out and see how you are seating the bullet. Lower the seating stem till you get the bullet seated to the upper 3/4 of the cannalure on the bullet. You will now be seating your bullet with a light crimp.

200 gr round nose? Right?

There are no absolutes
Old 09-24-2017, 09:05 PM
Banned

It is the 200 gr rn and I'm not new to reloading. I reload all my ammo, don't know why this giving me a problem. Even used new brass and also used a crimp die.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
It is the 200 gr rn and I'm not new to reloading. I reload all my ammo, don't know why this giving me a problem. Even used new brass and also used a crimp die.

A chamber casting may be in order . Stranger things have happened
Old 09-24-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Throw that crimp die in the trash. Your seating die will give you all the crimp you'll ever need.

35 Rem isn't the most robustly built casing out there, if your dies are a bit out of adjustment you could be distorting your brass ever so slightly.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-24-2017, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
A chamber casting may be in order . Stranger things have happened
That's what I was thinking.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:44 PM

Obviously this cartridge is a POS and you need to get rid of the rifle. I'll take it off your hands. Been looking for a 35 marlin for years. Congrats on finding one.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:48 PM

There is nothing wrong with the chamber, most likely. Always check the simplest stuff fist.

In all likely hood you are over crimping your bullets and the roll on the case is large enough to stop the case from fully chambering. Set your seating die to not crimp and run the rounds through. If they go, add only enough crimp to do the job and allow proper chambering. If the uncrimped cartridge won't chamber then you are set too far out and the bullet is contacting the lands. Seat them deeper into the case.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FellSwoop View Post
Obviously this cartridge is a POS and you need to get rid of the rifle. I'll take it off your hands. Been looking for a 35 marlin for years. Congrats on finding one.
Don't think so, but thanks for the offer.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
That's what I was thinking.
...especially these days.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:51 AM

Default .35 Rem

If you'd like to try one of your loads for chamber fit in my .35 R let me know, Im close to Airdrie.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the chamber, most likely. Always check the simplest stuff fist.

In all likely hood you are over crimping your bullets and the roll on the case is large enough to stop the case from fully chambering. Set your seating die to not crimp and run the rounds through. If they go, add only enough crimp to do the job and allow proper chambering. If the uncrimped cartridge won't chamber then you are set too far out and the bullet is contacting the lands. Seat them deeper into the case.
Thanks to everyone who offered there advice. The problem was to much crimp, first time loading bullets with a crimp.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:41 PM

Great . Easy fix.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:09 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who offered there advice. The problem was to much crimp, first time loading bullets with a crimp.
Bam, we all learn something when reloading, I always start with a casing, seat the bullet, no primer and work around with that before anything, cycle it through the action etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-25-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
snip
used new brass and also used a crimp die.
Did you trim the new brass to a uniform length before loading?

What make and model of crimp die?
(Lee Collet taper crimp? or Lee Collet roll crimp? or Lee Factory solid crimp?
other brand of solid taper crimp? or solid roll crimp?

Were you seating and crimping in a single combined operation?

Good Luck, YMMV.