Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-23-2017, 05:14 PM

Buy a single shot and learn how to hunt and shoot......
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:24 PM

OP if you like semis, buy one. I have killed game with semis and bolt guns. Ignore these one shot, one kill halfwits. Buy the gun you like and practice with it until you are proficient.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle_monkey1 View Post
OP if you like semis, buy one. I have killed game with semis and bolt guns. Ignore these one shot, one kill halfwits. Buy the gun you like and practice with it until you are proficient.
I agree with the part of buying the gun you want, and enjoying it. However, there is a lot of advice being given as a result of other people sharing common issues. the more complicated the machine, the more can go wrong. A simple device that is manually operated is going to be less finicky and probably lighter, resulting in the hunter being able to have a clearer mind, be quicker, or take other stuff that will help his hunt. If someone wants to carry a noisy loading, complicated semi-auto cause he wants to, then go ahead.. The first shot is always going to be the best opportunity for a well placed shot. How many times is it going to matter if the second shot is ready in 1/100th of a second or 1 second later. Even a single shot rifle is faster than a bowhunter getting a second shot, which is even faster than a cross-bow.

Its very common that for people using a semi auto and having the subconscious knowledge of a new round immediately available makes it too tempting to take a less-than ideal first shot.

Ive had a lot of occasions of things going wrong on my semi autos, none on my bolt actions.

Figure out the priorities that need to be fulfilled for your activity, and then consider the strengths and weaknesses of the different guns your are considering. Maybe having a semi-auto in your hands gives you a different kind of rush. If that's important, don't ignore it.

Get a Ruger 10-22 and a Ruger American Rimfire and give them both a fair comparison. Check out what you enjoy more. The 10-22 is known for being extremely reliable. I bet you will still have more issues with the semi than the bolt action.

You could always stick to the level rifle style that you are considering replacing. Kind of the middle ground.

Last edited by Nyksta; 09-23-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:27 PM

[QUOTE=Throttle_monkey1;3628367]OP if you like semis, buy one. I have killed game with semis and bolt guns. Ignore these one shot, one kill halfwits. Buy the gun you like and practice with it until you are proficient.[/Q

NVM....
Old 09-24-2017, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Buy a single shot and learn how to hunt and shoot......
Most people with semi auto's, learned that decades go. You?
Old 09-24-2017, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
5 shots and you still need a bayonet ?

Grizz
Ya, cause he missed, hahaha.....
Old 09-24-2017, 10:01 AM

Over a 50 year span, very few of the deer harvested were taken while pushing bush and now that I am exclusively a horn hunter, the likelihood that I will take a (whitetail) deer in the bush is very low. That is why I have gone to that M1 semi for my bush carry rifle. Weighing only about 5.5 lbs with the red dot it is a dream to carry. If I am not going to get a deer, I may as well not get it with an M1 Carbine
However, someday I will get a muley draw again and I occassionally bump into one standing in a clearing about 50M away.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:42 AM

Default 05-03-2016

You guys realize this is a really old thread right? Lol....
Old 09-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Heavyhitr View Post
You guys realize this is a really old thread right? Lol....
Yup, so what exactly is your point? Lots of good info opinions and advice on some of these older threads, oh my!
Old 09-24-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
I agree with the part of buying the gun you want, and enjoying it. However, there is a lot of advice being given as a result of other people sharing common issues. the more complicated the machine, the more can go wrong. A simple device that is manually operated is going to be less finicky and probably lighter, resulting in the hunter being able to have a clearer mind, be quicker, or take other stuff that will help his hunt. If someone wants to carry a noisy loading, complicated semi-auto cause he wants to, then go ahead.. The first shot is always going to be the best opportunity for a well placed shot. How many times is it going to matter if the second shot is ready in 1/100th of a second or 1 second later. Even a single shot rifle is faster than a bowhunter getting a second shot, which is even faster than a cross-bow.

Its very common that for people using a semi auto and having the subconscious knowledge of a new round immediately available makes it too tempting to take a less-than ideal first shot.

Ive had a lot of occasions of things going wrong on my semi autos, none on my bolt actions.

Figure out the priorities that need to be fulfilled for your activity, and then consider the strengths and weaknesses of the different guns your are considering. Maybe having a semi-auto in your hands gives you a different kind of rush. If that's important, don't ignore it.

Get a Ruger 10-22 and a Ruger American Rimfire and give them both a fair comparison. Check out what you enjoy more. The 10-22 is known for being extremely reliable. I bet you will still have more issues with the semi than the bolt action.

You could always stick to the level rifle style that you are considering replacing. Kind of the middle ground.
Not really disagreeing with what you say, but I think too many people focus on the type of gear rather than practicing shooting, shooting from different positions, immediate action drills in case of a stoppage etc.

Any decent bolt gun, lever gun or semi will serve you well. I had a tuned m14 that was dead reliable until it was -30. Lube was too thick at that temperature. Had a marlin 45-70 that was awesome until I reloaded some hard cast bullets that just wouldn't feed worth poo making it pretty much a boat paddle. My favourite beater rifle a T3 let me down big time last year. The time I needed it to go bang it didn't. Striker would barely move. I fixed it within 5 minutes but the opportunity was still lost.

It can happen to any gun, and a good semi can be very accurate and reliable.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdan44 View Post
How many bullets do you take afield? One? Most of my game has been one shot kills but not all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I take only two
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 09-25-2017, 12:09 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Yup, so what exactly is your point? Lots of good info opinions and advice on some of these older threads, oh my!
That the OP probably figured it out by now.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
I take only two

That's one too many. Overkill lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle_monkey1 View Post
Not really disagreeing with what you say, but I think too many people focus on the type of gear rather than practicing shooting, shooting from different positions, immediate action drills in case of a stoppage etc.

Any decent bolt gun, lever gun or semi will serve you well. I had a tuned m14 that was dead reliable until it was -30. Lube was too thick at that temperature. Had a marlin 45-70 that was awesome until I reloaded some hard cast bullets that just wouldn't feed worth poo making it pretty much a boat paddle. My favourite beater rifle a T3 let me down big time last year. The time I needed it to go bang it didn't. Striker would barely move. I fixed it within 5 minutes but the opportunity was still lost.

It can happen to any gun, and a good semi can be very accurate and reliable.
There is a clear pattern to your gun failures, and it has nothing to do with make or action, you are using the WRONG lube. Any gun hunted in cold weather needs to be lubed with dry graphite or something similar. All oils get thick at -30 and colder.

This argument that semis are not reliable seems pretty silly. Every Army in world runs semi auto rifles as their main battle rifles. If they weren't reliable no one would carry them into a fire fight. Probably 80% of waterfowlers use semi autos in the mud, swamp, straw and other detritus. They work virtually 100% of the time despite often being filled with crap and fired 1000 rounds between cleaning.

Being left handed I am very limited in LH semi rifles. The BAR came in LH, they shoot great, most will easily do an inch at 100 yards, and I have never had a problem with one failing to work properly. If you want one buy it, worst is you can re-sell if you find it isn't what you really like.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:39 PM

Before cold weather hunting my M1 Carbine, I disassemble and flush all lube...works fine, just like all the M1's used in Korea.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There is a clear pattern to your gun failures, and it has nothing to do with make or action, you are using the WRONG lube. Any gun hunted in cold weather needs to be lubed with dry graphite or something similar. All oils get thick at -30 and colder.

This argument that semis are not reliable seems pretty silly. Every Army in world runs semi auto rifles as their main battle rifles. If they weren't reliable no one would carry them into a fire fight. Probably 80% of waterfowlers use semi autos in the mud, swamp, straw and other detritus. They work virtually 100% of the time despite often being filled with crap and fired 1000 rounds between cleaning.

Being left handed I am very limited in LH semi rifles. The BAR came in LH, they shoot great, most will easily do an inch at 100 yards, and I have never had a problem with one failing to work properly. If you want one buy it, worst is you can re-sell if you find it isn't what you really like.
The military uses semi autos because when the targets are shooting back, its nice to have multiple immediately available followup shots to ensure that the target is stopped of all action that could kill you or your friends. Volume of fire is a big priority with the military. Hunting has different needs. If you want a semi auto, go for it. But dont think that just because it works for the military, it must be the best for every other use.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:42 PM

I am a true bolt action fan that being said I ended up with a BAR 30-06. The silly thin is pleasant to shoot and will shoot into an inch at 100 yds . I have grown fond of the damn thing . However semi autos will not take the weather / debris / dirt etc that a bolt will . You are relying 100% at the mercy of the firearm to function. If you not willing to take care of them eventually it will let you down.

Yes I hunt with my BAR and like it , and use it for certain applications as I am a mutuple gun owner and have choices
Old 09-29-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Most people with semi auto's, learned that decades go. You?
Old 09-30-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Only the M14 was a lube issue. Some m14s are even known for short stroking at -30 even without lube. Port size could be the culprit. It also suffers from oprod damage using heavier than 168gr bullets. It is what it is.

The marlin was finicky with certain ammo at any temperature and the tikka was outside in the cold and brought inside. Slight surface rust caused the striker to not have enough force to ignite the primer. Anyways the point of everything was to show that any firearm can fail, regardless of action type. Any mechanical device can