Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-06-2017, 09:27 AM

Default Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun

Well, ended up with a new manufacture, 2016, Marlin 45-70, straight stock 18.5" barrel Guide gun, with Skinner sights, as part of a trade. Took it out to the range to try it out. The newest manufactured Remlins are indeed a lot better finished and function a bunch better than the ones when they first took over.

The ammo fed smoothly, trigger was pretty decent for a lever and the gun shoots real well. I am not a huge fan of the Skinner sights, even after shooting them I prefer a Lyman or Williams peep, but you can't kick at the results you can get with them. Shooting 425 grain cast it did about 1.5" inches and Hornady 350 grain round nose just over an inch at 50 yards. Load for both was CCI LR primers, and 42 grains of Varget in WW cases. Recoil is very tame which makes recovery for a second shot very quick.

Cast

Hornady 350 RN

Old 09-06-2017, 09:36 AM

Very nice! I've always wanted one of those rifles, in that chambering. Enjoy it!

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-06-2017, 12:52 PM

The big reason I posted is I have been a very vocal critic of Marlin post Remington. My pre Rem Marlins are well made, well fitted and function great, not to mention they shoot REALLY well. I was quite surprised to see the large improvement in quality on this gun.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The big reason I posted is I have been a very vocal critic of Marlin post Remington. My pre Rem Marlins are well made, well fitted and function great, not to mention they shoot REALLY well. I was quite surprised to see the large improvement in quality on this gun.
This is good to hear im in the market for another my wife has claimed my jm guide gun for horseback trips ive been reluctant to try a new production but am sure im not getting mine back haha so might have to try one
Old 09-06-2017, 03:50 PM

I am also very impressed with the fit and finish. I went with the 1895 GBL.

Love it.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:21 PM

Just for fun load up some 500 gr bullets to the max and let her fly. Make sure you have a chin strap for your hat.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:52 PM

Factory loaded Leverevolution shoot well out of both of mine. They are both Remlins and no issues whatsoever.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:11 PM

Remlin owner here as well - Bought the SBL from a friend of mine. Absolutely outstanding from end to end, and cycles without flaw. I'd say the newer Marlins are just fine - the old ones I'm sure are great too. Glad yours was great out of the box

J
Old 09-23-2017, 05:54 PM

Well pulled the pin today decided to try a new production 1895gbl on route in the mail see how she stacks up to my old JM one
Old 09-23-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
Well pulled the pin today decided to try a new production 1895gbl on route in the mail see how she stacks up to my old JM one
Look fwd to hearing how yours shoots and whether u find it as well finished.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:22 PM

Didn't you find varget had an incomplete burn? I tried the exact same load (42 grains varget with a 350 grain boolit) in my 450 and had unburn kernels of powder falling out of the ejected cases. When I did a bit of reading on line the consensus was that varget wasn't a good match for the 45/70 or 450.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Didn't you find varget had an incomplete burn? I tried the exact same load (42 grains varget with a 350 grain boolit) in my 450 and had unburn kernels of powder falling out of the ejected cases. When I did a bit of reading on line the consensus was that varget wasn't a good match for the 45/70 or 450.
The load shoots 3/4" at 100 yards with a scope and under an inch with open sites at 50 yards. They can say whatever thet want about it not being a good match but it and 3031 works good for me. I have used thousands of rounds of these loads in a half dozen 45-70s and they all shot them well. Realistically I never checked for unburnt kernels but I wouldn't quit using it if I found some.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:12 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
I am also very impressed with the fit and finish. I went with the 1895 GBL.

Love it.
Son got one of those beauties, shoots and groups very well. Thought it would be harder on the shoulder buts it's a push not a snap which I really enjoy shooting.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-25-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Ive got both a GBL and an SBL, post JM remlins.

They have dealt with the issues,im sure you will be happy.

The SBL can crack a 10" gong off sticks every shot at 100 yards through the XS peep sight.

The GBL i mounted a 1-4x20 Leupold on and reload 300gr Partitions for it.... stacks 3 under an inch at 100 easy.

Love them both.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post

The SBL can crack a 10" gong off sticks every shot at 100 yards through the XS peep sight.

The GBL i mounted a 1-4x20 Leupold on and reload 300gr Partitions for it.... stacks 3 under an inch at 100 easy.

Love them both.
Yes, same here. I've got a JM 1895SS and Remlin SBL & CBA. While the Remlins may not quite stack up to the JM Marlin as far as fit and finish of both wood and metal goes, they're all shooters, that's for sure.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post

Love them both.
Nice good to hear my Jm stamped one i own has been flawless and very accurate as well with multiple loads
I cant wait to give this new one a go and see should be here Wednesday
Old 09-29-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Look fwd to hearing how yours shoots and whether u find it as well finished.
Well got a few rounds through the new one havent done any load development had some middle road 405g hc and factory lever revolution.
Did not like the factory lever revolution rim is a bit thicker than my WW brass and took a bit to come up into the boltface shot well tho.
With WW, starline and rem brass it cycled like a dream and shot well
I dont like hornady 45-70 brass anyway so im happy with its performance i didnt bench test it just freehand 25yds so will do more playing when i have time

The fit and finish is decent im happy with it unless my original JM is beside it they are not in the same league but I expected that.

Im happy with it im sure it will be a reliable rifle
Old 09-30-2017, 10:16 AM

Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Very nice! I've always wanted one of those rifles, in that chambering. Enjoy it!

SS
i happen to know a guy who has one for sale
Old 09-30-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Well got a few rounds through the new one havent done any load development had some middle road 405g hc and factory lever revolution.
Did not like the factory lever revolution rim is a bit thicker than my WW brass and took a bit to come up into the boltface shot well tho.
With WW, starline and rem brass it cycled like a dream and shot well
I dont like hornady 45-70 brass anyway so im happy with its performance i didnt bench test it just freehand 25yds so will do more playing when i have time

The fit and finish is decent im happy with it unless my original JM is beside it they are not in the same league but I expected that.

Im happy with it im sure it will be a reliable rifle
Glad to hear you too are happy with your Remlin. I would like to think they improved the quality sop much because they care about their custoemrs but I really think oit was a case of they were running out of people that would put up with what they were producing.

As long as they shoot as good as the newer ones, I can live with a little less in the fit and finish area. I actually took my new one apart and stoned all the machining marks I would find. That made it look better but also slicked it up quite a bit more. I also fit the butt and forestock better so it has a much tighter wood to metal fit.Put a couple of coats of oil on the stock and finished filing all the pores. Now looks as good as an older JM Marlin.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear you too are happy with your Remlin. I would like to think they improved the quality sop much because they care about their custoemrs but I really think oit was a case of they were running out of people that would put up with what they were producing.

As long as they shoot as good as the newer ones, I can live with a little less in the fit and finish area. I actually took my new one apart and stoned all the machining marks I would find. That made it look better but also slicked it up quite a bit more. I also fit the butt and forestock better so it has a much tighter wood to metal fit.Put a couple of coats of oil on the stock and finished filing all the pores. Now looks as good as an older JM Marlin.
Nice bet its a beauty now
This one will be a straight utility gun itll spend its life as a saddle gun so reliability was the number one concern, so so fit and finish i can live with makes the first scratchs easier to live with