Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-19-2019, 07:44 PM

Default Bow Hunting from Ground Blind

Anyone use ground blinds for bow hunting? There is an area of a property that I have permission on which is a clearing surrounded by smaller poplar's which I am not too interested in setting up a tree stand on. Have some activity on camera and was thinking this could be a good strategy to get close.

If the ground blind is a good way to go, any recommendations on a quality blind to shoot a bow from are welcome!
Old 09-19-2019, 08:28 PM

Cabelas the zonz XL.

I am 6’5 275 arms like an albatross and its perfect!!
Old 09-19-2019, 09:52 PM

Default Ground Blind

I have a Barronett "Big Mike" that is 80 " tall' and designed for Bow hunting'

It's brand new and never used. You're welcome to borrow it . If you like it, it will be for sale.

https://www.barronettblinds.com/Prod...ades-camo-8299

Cost was $300.00 shipped.

Gord
Old 09-19-2019, 10:15 PM

Dig you a hole about 18” deep and at least as big around. Get some good back cover to break up your form and sit on the edge of that hole with your feet in it.
Comfy huh? If you get one of those stadium beats you’ll have a decent backrest
You’ll be gobsmacked how effective it is sitting like that. I know no one believes it because I mention it every year and I never hear about the success of the method...but try it once and you’ll never look at a pop up blind again. Shovels are cheep and I’ve never fallen out of a pit blind
Old 09-19-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Dig you a hole about 18” deep and at least as big around. Get some good back cover to break up your form and sit on the edge of that hole with your feet in it.
You’ll be gobsmacked how effective it is sitting like that. I know no one believes it because I mention it every year and I never hear about the success of the method...but try it once and you’ll never look at a pop up blind again. Shovels are cheep and I’ve never fallen out of a pit blind
Would this work with a chair and some camo netting around your feet? I can't dig holes in he ground where I have permission.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-20-2019, 04:40 AM

Pop up blinds are very effective for bow hunting. Have you ever watched Any bow hunting shows on wild tv? Also, if you look on buy/sell or garage sales, they can be picked up for cheap. My favourite about them is the concealment. I’ve moved around quite a bit in them with deer within 40m and not been busted. My fiancé, my son, or a friend can also join me in the blind and it’s always memorable.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:18 AM

Cool Xenek Blinds

I've used double bull 360 blinds a ton. Then the Xenek blind caught my eye, it's like a 360 but has some features that make it even better for bowhunting. In particular, the stretchy fabric makes it awesome to shoot out of..
https://huntxenek.com/
Old 09-20-2019, 07:24 AM

I've found them to generally be expensive and for the most part useless. Even when put up several months before season. I'm a tree stand guy if I have to sit.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:59 AM

I make my ground blinds out of burlap and branches but I do have an older blind that is made of cloth and wire framed, works well.
Cat
Old 09-20-2019, 09:32 AM

I like the ground blinds as I can take my son/other people, you can move around in them without spooking game, have extra gear/blankets/chairs etc. You can be more comfortable, Ive even had a little heater in mine when it gets really cold. kids can lay down and take a nap. And I stay dry when its raining/wet heavy snow fall. Tree stands have their place but I have enjoyed blinds more lately especially now that my son joins me.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:07 PM

Sounds like a good piece of kit to have available, thanks for the feedback everyone! Appreciate the offer on the loaner Gord!

-Matt
Old 09-23-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Would this work with a chair and some camo netting around your feet? I can't dig holes in he ground where I have permission.

Not nearly as well as sitting right on the ground. For some reason animals aren’t spooked by us when we’re only 3’ tall.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Hmm I've never fallen out of a ground blind either and I just love digging through 5000 poplar roots
Ground blinds work great I use them alot the Barronette Big Mike and cabela zones are both good and I have both. Whatever blind you get if you are shooting from a chair make sure that your arrow clears the bottom of the window. Some blinds are more designed for rifle hunters and dont have arrow clearance. Make sure to brush it in good.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:01 PM

Anyone ever had any luck finding a snow camo ground blind? I’m surprised how difficult it has been to find.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Hmm I've never fallen out of a ground blind either and I just love digging through 5000 poplar roots
Ground blinds work great I use them alot the Barronette Big Mike and cabela zones are both good and I have both. Whatever blind you get if you are shooting from a chair make sure that your arrow clears the bottom of the window. Some blinds are more designed for rifle hunters and dont have arrow clearance. Make sure to brush it in good.
Some places are more difficult or Impossible to dig in.. if you can dig a pit blind is so easy it’s ridiculous. I carry a 24” spade strapped to my pack. When I decide where I want to sit, I dig a hole and in 10 minutes I’m sitting comfy and ready to hunt. When I leave I fill it in and cover it with leaves and I’m done.

A small spade and a small roll of cameo material is the most portable blind there is.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Anyone ever had any luck finding a snow camo ground blind? I’m surprised how difficult it has been to find.
Personally I would go buy snow camo material get it cut into puzzle pieces with Velcro sewn on one side. Then sew Velcro to your regular ground blind. Stick it on on winter remove it for early season. A guy would really only need to do a bit of snow material to make it blend.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Build a deadfall blind out of the surroundings backed against some type of cover.

Place a chair in it, draw bow and rotate your arcs of fire to ensure your limbs etc clear anything....the little Fort will be there next year too just might need a little touch up.

No cost other than time.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-27-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Some places are more difficult or Impossible to dig in.. if you can dig a pit blind is so easy it’s ridiculous. I carry a 24” spade strapped to my pack. When I decide where I want to sit, I dig a hole and in 10 minutes I’m sitting comfy and ready to hunt. When I leave I fill it in and cover it with leaves and I’m done.

A small spade and a small roll of cameo material is the most portable blind there is.
That's genius. I'm going to try that - thanks!
Old 09-27-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
Personally I would go buy snow camo material get it cut into puzzle pieces with Velcro sewn on one side. Then sew Velcro to your regular ground blind. Stick it on on winter remove it for early season. A guy would really only need to do a bit of snow material to make it blend.
winners sell white bed sheets for cheap. I marked them up with spray paint and pinned them to my ground blind. Worked great during the snow fall.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Hmm I've never fallen out of a ground blind either .
So ……….. you haven't met Jack Daniels yet?
Old 09-27-2019, 05:32 PM

actually favouring Gretzky 99 red Oak aged rye these days
Old 09-30-2019, 09:37 AM

Try Centenial made by Highwood Distillers.... soooo smooooth.