Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-16-2019, 08:03 PM

Default Factory 270 win ... your preferred brand and bullet weight

Had a friend ask about what to shoot in his 270 win. Mostly after deer and a chance to go for elk.

Don’t have much experience with the 270. I’ve just shot 150 grain soft point federal blue box.

I told him to check out Sierra game king offered by federal. I use them in my 308 and are quite accurate for me.

What say you?

Factory offerings as he doesn’t reload.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:11 PM
Banned

130 gr remington corelock. Federal blue box jams my m77
Old 09-16-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
130 gr remington corelock. Federal blue box jams my m77
For deer the 130 grain Corelocts are darn near ideal in my experience, for moose and elk the 150 grain corelocts have been very consistent performers. I've used the 130 grain Fusions with good success, more penetration than the corelocts of the same weight and I think they would work for bigger animals.

That said, I have two .270's right now and both have been sighted in for 150 grain corelocts for about as long as I've owned them. They work alright on deer, and will smash through a moose shoulder if needed. Not the best option for long range shots, but they handle my needs quite nicely.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
For deer the 130 grain Corelocts are darn near ideal in my experience, for moose and elk the 150 grain corelocts have been very consistent performers. I've used the 130 grain Fusions with good success, more penetration than the corelocts of the same weight and I think they would work for bigger animals.

That said, I have two .270's right now and both have been sighted in for 150 grain corelocts for about as long as I've owned them. They work alright on deer, and will smash through a moose shoulder if needed. Not the best option for long range shots, but they handle my needs quite nicely.
I have no issues with dropping elk deer moose and bear with the 130. Come to think of it I don't think any made it more than a few yards. . But mind you I've got a couple moose with the 3030 . It's all about what the gun likes.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:37 PM

140 grain Accubonds for everything.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Where did you buy those?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
x2 but in my 270WSM . I shoot reloads but if had to the Winchester Supreme or now called the Expedition in 140gr ABs get my vote. Elk moose deer bears wolves coyotes all dead.

Next choice would be Barnes 130gr TSX
Old 09-17-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Where did you buy those?
Just about every shop should have some. Cabelas, P&D, Prophet River.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:45 AM

My 270 Ruger UltraLight likes the cheap Winchester SuperX 150gr and has taken ever animal you can shoot in Alberta. Did a test with everything available back in the late eighties and these were as good as any. No reason to spend big bucks on ammo unless you are shooting gophers at 500 yards.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:10 PM

150gr Nosler partitions, works well for everything.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
I have no issues with dropping elk deer moose and bear with the 130. Come to think of it I don't think any made it more than a few yards. . But mind you I've got a couple moose with the 3030 . It's all about what the gun likes.
Good to know. I shot a deer at a steep angle with a 130 grain coreloct, the bullet broke 3 ribs going in, and 2 on the offside, the jacket minus the lead was against the offside shoulder. That is a fair bit of bone to break, and pretty much a worst case scenario for deer hunting, but I was never sure how deer ribs translated across to moose shoulders. Have you put one through the shoulder blade?

I tend to shoot my moose at pretty close range, closest was probably about 15 yards... speaking from experience, hitting heavy bone at near muzzle velocity can make bullets do some pretty weird things, thus my preference for the 150 grain load.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:43 PM

At 270 velocities (and for hunting in general), I prefer a bonded or monolithic bullet over cup and cores. Bullets hitting flesh & bones at 2900+ can get interesting to say the least. I Like 130s vs 150s to cash in on the "fast and flat" reputation of the 270. 130 gr Nosler Accubond, federal trophy bonded tip or federal fusions if you want to save a buck. 130 barnes TTSX/TSX, federal trophy copper, Honady GMX, or Nos ETips. I'd shoot what the gun likes best. Nosler partitions are always safe too. If they all shoot the same, it's whatever blows your hair back. I'd have zero problems shooting Deer, Elk, Moose, or Bears with any of those bullets. To start, if you want to go bonded, Accubonds or Fed trophy bonded tips. Monos, barnes TTSX or fed trophy copper.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I tend to shoot my moose at pretty close range, closest was probably about 15 yards... speaking from experience, hitting heavy bone at near muzzle velocity can make bullets do some pretty weird things, thus my preference for the 150 grain load.
My dad shot a pretty small doe last year - 270 Win with 150 grain Fusions - at 15 feet. I set him up to watch a trail leading into a field but this deer came barreling full tilt into the trail from the field, only missing him because he was behind a tree. It stopped, he shot. But yeah, bonded bullet going full velocity into a small doe that bullet didn't stand a chance.
The bullet shattered 4 or so ribs on impact. The bullet did not exit. The lungs looked damaged but not a "soupy" mess. Best we could figure out was the bullet disintegrated on contact.
Can't complain about terminal performance but your point of close shots can do weird things is spot on.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrider View Post
150gr Nosler partitions, works well for everything.
Same thing I use...federal premium

But I’ve been eyeing up the federal premium with the 140gr accubonds. Have to use up what I have on hand first.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:17 AM

I shoot either Remington Corelocks or the Winchester Super Points in my .270

Never had a problem.

I use and sight in for that cheaper ammo because I often also shoot Coyotes with it.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantThinkOfAName View Post
My dad shot a pretty small doe last year - 270 Win with 150 grain Fusions - at 15 feet. I set him up to watch a trail leading into a field but this deer came barreling full tilt into the trail from the field, only missing him because he was behind a tree. It stopped, he shot. But yeah, bonded bullet going full velocity into a small doe that bullet didn't stand a chance.
The bullet shattered 4 or so ribs on impact. The bullet did not exit. The lungs looked damaged but not a "soupy" mess. Best we could figure out was the bullet disintegrated on contact.
Can't complain about terminal performance but your point of close shots can do weird things is spot on.
My experience with Fusion 150's has been a little puzzling, I have actually found them far more prone to blowing appart then 150 grain corelocts… and even, get this, 130 grain Fusions. My suspicion is that in an attempt to keep the bullet deer oriented, as advertised, they might use a thinner jacket on them than the 130 grain bullets.

I've had the 130 grain Fusion's go through 4-5 feet of deer on high angle shots and leave surprisingly small exit holes, I've never actually recovered one. The 150's quite often don't exit, and the recovered bullets usually look pretty ugly. Just my observations.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:40 PM

Before I started loading with accubonds, I shot a lot with 130gr federal blue box as it shot best with my rifle.

Honestly all my kills with that stuff were sooo good, we're talking entry and exit, full soup on the inside. Really didn't need to change but I wanted to get into reloading and accubonds are great if I hit bones or shoulders when you don't exactly mean to.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:58 AM

130 grain Accubonds.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:13 AM

156gr Sako Hammerheads!

There are no absolutes
Old 09-20-2019, 09:18 AM

Hornady Custom, 140 grain. My Browning A-Bolt II loves them. Dropped everything I have used them on: deer, elk and black bear (and one iPhone, couldn't retrieve the video from it as there wasn't much left).
Old 09-20-2019, 01:05 PM

My .270 shot the 130 grain Swift Scirocco bullets, loaded by Remington, accurately and they were devastating on deer.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:52 PM

My tikka likes fusion 130grain
Old 09-21-2019, 12:31 PM

My Remington loves TTSX-130’s and Hornady core locks my boys tikka is a 110gr TTSX gun.