Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-15-2019, 06:05 PM

Picked up an amazing used boat from leisureliquidators.com They have a yard at Toefield that they will move a boat to from their Winnipeg yard for free. We got an 1989 Bayliner 1810 Fish 'n Ski with a 1999 120HP Force 2 stroke and trailer for $6500 shipped! (The boat is my profile pic)
Old 09-16-2019, 03:43 PM

My last 2 boats have been new and I will explain why.
Let’s say I’m in the market for a new 18 foot aluminum fishing boat. I go into the dealer and see that one set up the way I want it is $65,000.00. Fine, that a bit of money but I’m ok with that.
Now I go look at the used market. I see a barely used 2013 of the same make and model as the new one I looked at. Looks nice and clean. Barely used. The original owner won’t go done below $45,000. So I’m going to save $20,000 and have a like new boat. Probably not. I’ve come to find out that barely used boat in Alberta means the original owner did no maintenance or upgrades and wants to get rid of the boat boat boat before it cost him a bunch of money.
First off as soon as I get the boat depending on weather the bowmount is a 24 or 36 volt I’m going to have to replace all the batteries including the starting and house battery. That’s $1,000 right there. Then I look at the electronics. They are 6 or 7 years old. They are obsolete and can’t be upgraded. So another $3,000 for some basic units. Then I need to do some wiring for all this new electrical gear. $300 here. Then I take a look at the outboards. Original aluminum prop on the main motor. New stainless prop $800. Might as well get the right prop for the kicker $200. Now I check the main motor. Hope the guy changed the leg oil in the last 6 years. Now I check the water pump impeller. Hasn’t been changed. $400. Another $200 for the kicker. Then I look at the trailer. Dang, the bunks have dry rot from being stored in the heated garage. $300. Wheel bearings need done. $200. Need new tires $400. And all this does not include my time in which I will value at $4000 for 40 hours. And I missed a week of boating with my family. Priceless.
So the barely used 2013 boat in the end cost me maybe $10,000 less than a brand new one and I still didn’t get any warranty. A good deal? Not in my books.
I would happily buy a barely used boat. At 50% of new. Otherwise, no way.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I am running a 19' Warrior Deep V, Dual Console Walleye Tournament boat with a 150 HP and an 8 horse kicker. The boat is in top notch shape and has always been stored in doors. New that boat would be north of $120,000 today. Used mine would go for about $20-$25,000 despite being nearly pristine. You tell me if buying new makes sense, it sure doesn't to me. If you can find one that was well cared for, clean and not all scratched up you can save a ton of money. It isn't hard to tell looking at a boat if it has been cared for or not.
I think you're WAY underestimating what your current boat would sell for, there's big demand for them and not much supply. Check the Walleyecentral classifieds and some of the Facebook pages. Depending on condition, I'm guessing you'd get those numbers, or more, in USD for it. I think you're likely overestimating the new price too.

As for your point though, I completely agree, you're still saving a LOT of cash. It makes a ton of sense to go used if you can find the right boat that's been taken care of at the right price. I sold mine, 4 years old, loaded, like new condition, with under 200 hrs on it and still under warranty for $25-30K less than the cost to replace it new. That $25-30K is a giant leap in how much boat you get when it comes to comparing prices on new boats.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
My last 2 boats have been new and I will explain why.
Let’s say I’m in the market for a new 18 foot aluminum fishing boat. I go into the dealer and see that one set up the way I want it is $65,000.00. Fine, that a bit of money but I’m ok with that.
Now I go look at the used market. I see a barely used 2013 of the same make and model as the new one I looked at. Looks nice and clean. Barely used. The original owner won’t go done below $45,000. So I’m going to save $20,000 and have a like new boat. Probably not. I’ve come to find out that barely used boat in Alberta means the original owner did no maintenance or upgrades and wants to get rid of the boat boat boat before it cost him a bunch of money.
First off as soon as I get the boat depending on weather the bowmount is a 24 or 36 volt I’m going to have to replace all the batteries including the starting and house battery. That’s $1,000 right there. Then I look at the electronics. They are 6 or 7 years old. They are obsolete and can’t be upgraded. So another $3,000 for some basic units. Then I need to do some wiring for all this new electrical gear. $300 here. Then I take a look at the outboards. Original aluminum prop on the main motor. New stainless prop $800. Might as well get the right prop for the kicker $200. Now I check the main motor. Hope the guy changed the leg oil in the last 6 years. Now I check the water pump impeller. Hasn’t been changed. $400. Another $200 for the kicker. Then I look at the trailer. Dang, the bunks have dry rot from being stored in the heated garage. $300. Wheel bearings need done. $200. Need new tires $400. And all this does not include my time in which I will value at $4000 for 40 hours. And I missed a week of boating with my family. Priceless.
So the barely used 2013 boat in the end cost me maybe $10,000 less than a brand new one and I still didn’t get any warranty. A good deal? Not in my books.
I don't completely disagree with you, there'll always be some time and cost to getting a used boat, (new or used in my experience) set up the way you want it and 100% seaworthy, but IMHO, you're rationalizing buying new by creating a false scenario. Many of those items are not "needs" at all, they're wants, and in most cases, unlikely to be issues or unnecessary. You're also doubling up on items, you're spending money on electronics regardless of whether you buy new or used, and at least with used, you have the option of keeping that cash in your wallet if you don't need the latest and greatest. Your time is also pretty valuable lol, I don't disagree it has value, but personally, that time spent rigging and working on the boat is all part of the enjoyment for me.

The simple answer is don't buy that boat for $45,000 if it needs all that work. Keep shopping until you find a better deal where either the boat doesn't need the work/mods, or the needed mods/maintenance are factored into a much lower asking price. It can be done, just takes some time and a willingness to go on a road trip if you find the right deal.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
And all this does not include my time in which I will value at $4000 for 40 hours. And I missed a week of boating with my family. Priceless.
Wow $100/hr for your time you are charging the ***** out of yourself. Lol. Do you need a hired man I would come work for you for $100/hr. You do have some very valid point when buying new vs. used. A lot of these things most people would not change or address when buying a used boat. Lots of people have the mindset of run it until she blows. They are the guys you will see on the side of the raid changing a blown tire or looking in the ditch for their wheel that flew off due to lack of maintenance or sitting at the launch trying over and over agin to get the boy to fire or having to boost the weak battery at the launch.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:57 AM

The simple answer is don't buy that boat for $45,000 if it needs all that work. Keep shopping until you find a better deal where either the boat doesn't need the work/mods, or the needed mods/maintenance are factored into a much lower asking price. It can be done, just takes some time and a willingness to go on a road trip if you find the right deal.[/QUOTE]

You are quite right. After having several used and 2 new boats I know that what is required to make a boat safe and fishable. Non of the items I listed above are “wants”. They are all necessary maintenance items. Others may have a different opinion and that is fine. Sure, I might find a decent used boat that fits my needs - after spending hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars searching. That’s why I said I’m not paying any more than 50% of new. Most people place very little value on their time. Time is valuable - a precious commodity that can’t be replaced. I have no interest in spending my time rebuilding someone’s junk. I can always get more money I cannot replace that time once it has been wasted.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Wow $100/hr for your time you are charging the ***** out of yourself. Lol. Do you need a hired man I would come work for you for $100/hr. You do have some very valid point when buying new vs. used. A lot of these things most people would not change or address when buying a used boat. Lots of people have the mindset of run it until she blows. They are the guys you will see on the side of the raid changing a blown tire or looking in the ditch for their wheel that flew off due to lack of maintenance or sitting at the launch trying over and over agin to get the boy to fire or having to boost the weak battery at the launch.
Exactly. I can’t afford to have a breakdown like that. I frequently fish large lakes where I am 40 km from the launch and I could be the only boat out there. I need to have a boat that’s safe, reliable and fishable. Otherwise it’s a no go. I can’t tell others what to do but I’m going to do the necessary maintenance on my boats so I don’t have any issues.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The simple answer is don't buy that boat for $45,000 if it needs all that work. Keep shopping until you find a better deal where either the boat doesn't need the work/mods, or the needed mods/maintenance are factored into a much lower asking price. It can be done, just takes some time and a willingness to go on a road trip if you find the right deal.
You are quite right. After having several used and 2 new boats I know that what is required to make a boat safe and fishable. Non of the items I listed above are “wants”. They are all necessary maintenance items. Others may have a different opinion and that is fine. Sure, I might find a decent used boat that fits my needs - after spending hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars searching. That’s why I said I’m not paying any more than 50% of new. Most people place very little value on their time. Time is valuable - a precious commodity that can’t be replaced. I have no interest in spending my time rebuilding someone’s junk. I can always get more money I cannot replace that time once it has been wasted.
New electronics, stainless steel props, different kicker props, those are definitely not "needs". Replacing batteries that might be perfectly fine is good for peace of mind, but also likely unnecessary. Load test them, replace as necessary, and go use the boat.

The rest of your maintenance items, when you combine the cost you quoted, plus the value of your time, you'd be better off just dropping it off at the dealer and having them do it. Same price, or less, in the end, and you don't lose any of your valuable time doing the work.

I know you're trying to make a point, and it is valid, it takes time and effort, but if you spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars trying to find a boat, you're doing it wrong lol.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
New electronics, stainless steel props, different kicker props, those are definitely not "needs". Replacing batteries that might be perfectly fine is good for peace of mind, but also likely unnecessary. Load test them, replace as necessary, and go use the boat.

The rest of your maintenance items, when you combine the cost you quoted, plus the value of your time, you'd be better off just dropping it off at the dealer and having them do it. Same price, or less, in the end, and you don't lose any of your valuable time doing the work.

I know you're trying to make a point, and it is valid, it takes time and effort, but if you spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars trying to find a boat, you're doing it wrong lol.
You can call props and electronics unnecessary if you wish. I assure you that they are necessary - on my boat. I have already stated that others can maintain their boat however they chose. I will maintain my boats to my standard of safety and fishability.
And getting a dealer to look after most maintenance items is usually a big waste of time and money. Most dealers do not even know how to prop a boat correctly.
The less time spent at the dealer the better. Is that my new boat? Yes. Good, here’s your money. Off to my marine mechanic.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
You can call props and electronics unnecessary if you wish. I assure you that they are necessary - on my boat. I have already stated that others can maintain their boat however they chose. I will maintain my boats to my standard of safety and fishability.
And getting a dealer to look after most maintenance items is usually a big waste of time and money. Most dealers do not even know how to prop a boat correctly.
The less time spent at the dealer the better. Is that my new boat? Yes. Good, here’s your money. Off to my marine mechanic.
Fair enough. My point being, those items are not required to use the boat or go fishing, they are items you want in order to maximize performance and potentially safety. For the record, I agree with you, if you're passionate about it, those items are all "must haves" in order to get the most out of your boat. I'm the guy with 4 or 5 stainless props kicking around all the time and WAY too much money in electronics mounted on my boat. I don't "need" any of it, but I sure do enjoy it.

Are you your own marine mechanic? If not, sub "dealer" with "marine mechanic" and the point from my last post is the same. If you've found someone that's good and charges fairly, you're lucky, they're worth their weight in gold.

At any rate, there's definitely no right or wrong answer, and I'm not trying convince you of anything, I just enjoy a good discussion.

Last edited by Walleyedude; 09-17-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Fair enough. My point being, those items are not required to use the boat or go fishing, they are items you want in order to maximize performance and potentially safety. For the record, I agree with you, if you're passionate about it, those items are all "must haves" in order to get the most out of your boat. I'm the guy with 4 or 5 stainless props kicking around all the time and WAY too much money in electronics mounted on my boat. I don't "need" any of it, but I sure do enjoy it.

Are you your own marine mechanic? If not, sub "dealer" with "marine mechanic" and the point from my last post is the same. If you've found someone that's good and charges fairly, you're lucky, they're worth their weight in gold.

At any rate, there's definitely no right or wrong answer, and I'm not trying convince you of anything, I just enjoy a good discussion.
Yes, I enjoyed this discussion. You sound like a fellow that knows his way around a boat. That’s good to know.