Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:05 PM

Default 4 officers, not just 1, were outside the school...

The latest reports say that Liason Officer Scott Peterson wasn't the only LEO outside that day...
3 other Broward County officers were hiding behind their cars, waiting.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/23/four-s...hool-shooting/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x8hCgRydcs

Old 02-23-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
The latest reports say that Liason Officer Scott Peterson wasn't the only LEO outside that day...
3 other officers were hiding behind their cars, waiting.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/23/four-s...hool-shooting/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x8hCgRydcs

So what you are saying is Trump is wrong again? Just cuz someone is armed doesn't mean they are up to going toe to toe with someone set on shooting up a place.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:09 PM
Banned

Here's the CNN link for the undecided.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2018/0...-wait-live.cnn
Old 02-23-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post

Why can’t you guys post the verbiage from the story?

There are no absolutes
Old 02-23-2018, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Why can’t you guys post the verbiage from the story?

Ahhhhhhh, I don't know Dick maybe cause it's a video and secondly I'm not your Mother?????
Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 PM

Pretty sad -- the one guy was paid specifically to protect the kids in the school and received a pretty generous salary. He resigned to save his benefits. That just says a bunch about personal values. The other three responded and would not go in. What has not been mentioned is their Rules of Engagement. Very bad that they did not follow the other officers in.

Not one but four sheriff’s deputies hid behind cars instead of storming Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS in Parkland, Fla., during Wednesday’s school shooting, police claimed Friday — as newly released records revealed the Broward County Sheriff’s Office had received at least 18 calls about the troubled teen over the past decade.

Sources from Coral Springs, Fla., Police Department tell CNN that when its officers arrived on the scene Wednesday, they were shocked to find three Broward County Sheriff’s deputies behind their cars with weapons drawn.

The school’s armed resource officer, Broward County Sheriff’s Deputy Scot Peterson, was also outside. He resigned on Thursday after his failure to act was publicly revealed.

The Coral Springs cops entered the building to engage the shooter on their own, before other Broward County deputies arrived, two of whom joined the police inside, the sources said.

It was unclear whether the shooter was still inside at the time, CNN reported.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post

I'll wait for a real news service to report on this before passing judgement.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbra View Post

Woooooooooooooosssshhhhhhhhhh

and I expect that to be a very looooooooong time buddy......

Old 02-23-2018, 10:04 PM

That's going to be a heavy cross to bear the rest of their lives.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:07 PM
Banned

They got introduced to the real world, and didn't like it.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:49 PM

I’m not convinced that more guns are the answer.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
I’m not convinced that more guns are the answer.
Well, let's take the guns away from the criminals for starters. If that works, we'll talk.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
So what you are saying is Trump is wrong again? Just cuz someone is armed doesn't mean they are up to going toe to toe with someone set on shooting up a place.
Well it proves that not all armed people will or would react, you are correct about that. Let me ask you this though; if you were a teacher hiding your class from some armed invader in the library of a school for instance. If/when the psycho comes into that library would you be happy with your only weapon being a copy of Moby Dick or possibly a sidearm you have practiced with. I’m not saying that I would win in the aforementioned scenario, but I’d be happier going out trying, than cowering with a copy of war and peace. I’m not saying it’s the answer, but I think arming volunteer teachers at least gives them a chance to defend themselves, not necessarily stalking and neutralizing the idiot.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:52 PM
Banned

If true like mentioned in the video probably the biggest display of in-competence and cowardice in law enforcement history. Law enforcement is not paid to stay safe, they are paid to keep us safe. I am sure other cowards will try and defend these cowards, pretty pathetic.

FBI fail numerous times
Sheriff fail numerous times
But lets blame the guns, typical anti-gun bonehead response.

Last edited by bobalong; 02-24-2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:03 AM

I don't know. Its one thing if you come under fire and pull your side arm . But to go into a active shooter scene with out knowing how many shooters and what type of firearms with only pistols and shot guns.

The RCMP did this in Moncton and lost a lot of good intentioned Officers.

To use the word coward I don't know if that is the correct word.

Rushing into a situation like that is simply not what Officers are trained to do. We expect them to do it.
That is one reason Police Forces have SWAT/ERT teams. It is a sad situation but with out knowing more on the level of the the four Officers training, exact equipment they had and the situation I will reserve full judgement.

To me it sounds like the Sherrifs Office tried to use the Older Officer as a scapegoat and now its back firing.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
If true like mentioned in the video probably the biggest display of in-competence and cowardice in law enforcement history. Law enforcement is not paid to stay safe, they are paid to keep us safe. I am sure other cowards will try and defend these cowards, pretty pathetic.

FBI fail numerous times
Yup........have another drink!
Old 02-24-2018, 06:40 AM

There was lots of cops outside columbine they never went in but apparently at the time protocol was to wait for swat apparently it changed after that were officers are taught to go in to active shooting situations.

Last edited by Supergrit; 02-24-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
That's going to be a heavy cross to bear the rest of their lives.
THEY don't give a ****, they collect their pensions and are still alive. They are still old enough to collect salaries from who will employ them. And taken the mindset of of the people who employ them, name recgonition, only.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:28 AM

This is where the statement of " If in only saves one life" comes in"

You would have to be one low life coward piece of ****Not to put a child's life ahead of your own The whole thing screams cowards and buffoons.
Then there is the FBI. Everyone involved in this should be in jail with the general population. Let them have a taste of fear those kids felt.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-24-2018, 07:31 AM

Nope, I aint gonna bite and Dance on the Graves of those Kids.
Rob
Old 02-24-2018, 07:47 AM

To be a law enforcement officer and stand outside when you know kids are being executed? This is a fairly simple judgement call to make, IMO. If you are a cop and you don't race in, then why are you wearing a badge? Is that not what you sign up for? Somewhere along the line that fall under the heading of "To Protect and Serve". I don't care what network is reporting. This is cut and dry.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post

FBI fail numerous times

I'm betting dictated regulations and procedures got in the way. Bureaucracy can be a killer.

Grizz
Old 02-24-2018, 08:16 AM

Wow a lot of keyboard quarterback backs on here, would of, could of ,should of. Insight is always 20/20.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:23 AM

The local Policed had sat down and already talked to this nut bar by request of his now deceased mother,

https://youtu.be/fTLhm_mdETI?t=343

norwestalta

LC

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-24-2018, 08:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbra View Post
Real newsyou mean someone's perspective

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-24-2018, 08:30 AM
Banned

Here's an article on how the RCMP's teach officers how to best respond to an armed active threat similar to those faced during the Mayerthorpe, Alta., Moncton, N.B., and La Loche, Alta., shootings:

Stopping an active shooter
Training prepares officers to confront threat

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/gazette...active-shooter
Old 02-24-2018, 08:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
To be a law enforcement officer and stand outside when you know kids are being executed? This is a fairly simple judgement call to make, IMO. If you are a cop and you don't race in, then why are you wearing a badge? Is that not what you sign up for? Somewhere along the line that fall under the heading of "To Protect and Serve". I don't care what network is reporting. This is cut and dry.
I guess we can sit and speculate all day as to why they took up a defensive position as apposed to tactfully clearing the building...lots of unanswered questions, maybe reports of multiple shooters etc....etc...or were ordered to hold thier position.....or....or....social media warriors are going to kick down doors and take care of the bad guys one typed word at a time.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-24-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I guess we can sit and speculate all day as to why they took up a defensive position as apposed to tactfully clearing the building...lots of unanswered questions, maybe reports of multiple shooters etc....etc...or were ordered to hold thier position.....or....or....social media warriors are going to kick down doors and take care of the bad guys one typed word at a time.
Don't think it has anything to do with being a social media warrior. What it does have to do with is firemen run into burning buildings, cops run into dangerous situations to eliminate active shooters, military go oversees to protect citizens of their country, all the while putting their safety second. Kinda what you sign up for is it not? Maybe I am wrong, but I sure hope this is the mindset of the people wearing those uniforms.

The article linked before your social media warrior post actually quotes our RCMP in the context of "confronting" active shooters. Maybe it would be good to read the whole article, but here's a snippet for those who think a cop standing outside while kids get shot is maybe a good plan...

The training puts emphasis on making contact, confronting the threat and subduing it as quickly as possible."Immediate Action Rapid Deployment facilitators point out that in 90 per cent of these situations, the active shooter is stopped by a single police officer acting alone because there's no time to wait for backup. As IARD trainee Cst. Joanne Lauer says, "You can't wait. If you don't stop them, who will? You can't spend time thinking about whether or not you can or can't do it. You have a job to do."

Last edited by sns2; 02-24-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:47 AM

Exactly.
Most cops I personally know would lay their life down for someone else.
We are not against all law enforcement. Just the lazy cowardly crooked ones.
Do you job and be a man about it.

norwestalta

LC

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-24-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
I don't know. Its one thing if you come under fire and pull your side arm . But to go into a active shooter scene with out knowing how many shooters and what type of firearms with only pistols and shot guns.

The RCMP did this in Moncton and lost a lot of good intentioned Officers.

To use the word coward I don't know if that is the correct word.

Rushing into a situation like that is simply not what Officers are trained to do. We expect them to do it.
That is one reason Police Forces have SWAT/ERT teams. It is a sad situation but with out knowing more on the level of the the four Officers training, exact equipment they had and the situation I will reserve full judgement.

To me it sounds like the Sherrifs Office tried to use the Older Officer as a scapegoat and now its back firing.

That is untrue. Things changed after the Columbine shooting where we saw police set a perimeter and wait for SWAT. Almost all Police forces now have mandatory "Active Shooter" training. And in a nutshell, as soon as police is on scene they need to enter the building and find the shooter as soon as possible to stop his actions.

There is a high likelihood of injury or death for the police in this type of engagement, but there is an even higher likelihood of civilvian death and injury if they do not act. Police are told in training that they my be faced with these scenarios during their career and that it is their lawfully duty to respond and put themselves in harms way. There has been several police officers in Canada in recent years charged criminally for failing to act.

The RCMP call it IARD (Immediate Action Rapid Deployment) and it is mandatory for every Member regardless of rank or position.
Closed Thread