Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2018, 02:52 PM

Default Things to do with the family in Phoenix

Hey folks,
Im sure a lot of you have travelled to Phoenix in the past or have places down there. The wife and I are taking our 3 kids down in April and are wondering what all to do and see. Pool time at the hotel will be a must with the kids and hope to get to a college baseball game (the D backs are on the road when we are there).
Any tips or ideas? should I rent a car or just use Uber? any Good restaurants a must visit? We are there for a week, staying at Arizona Grand Resort.
Any tips on things to bring?
thanks for your input.
SS
Old 02-25-2018, 04:15 PM

Default Phoenix

Rent a car. Take a day trip to Sedona. It's a two hour drive from Phoenix. Take a guided Jeep tour out into the desert, very informative and if the cacti are blooming, very beautiful.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:49 PM

Few hours to mexico. Firecrackers!!!

Lots of good golf in the phoenix area if your into that.

Heart attack grill for cheeseburgers.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:38 PM

Default Arizona

Trip to Boot Hill and on to Tombstone, Saguaro National Park.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:49 PM

We take the kids to Phoenix every year. Definitely take them to the zoo, the aquarium and the children's museum. As for restaurants we like Gallo Blanco and Otro Cafe for authentic Mexican. I would recommend getting a vehicle because cab/Uber rides will get expensive.

Have a good time!!!

Edit: Cowboy town in Gold Canyon is awesome too!
Old 02-25-2018, 06:01 PM

Not sure if your family likes to swing the clubs or not, but if you do I've heard top golf is a blast.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operator john View Post
Rent a car. Take a day trip to Sedona. It's a two hour drive from Phoenix. Take a guided Jeep tour out into the desert, very informative and if the cacti are blooming, very beautiful.
X2, Pink Jeep Tours is one which comes to mind.

The Grand Canyon is a full day trip.

If you like seafood, Pappadeaux Seafood is pretty decent as is Joe's Crab Shack.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:54 PM

It's a bit of a drive but the south rim of the Grand Canyon is worth it. I was down a few years ago and Coyotes tickets were cheap.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:04 PM

Great ideas guys. I have heard the zoo, aquarium and museum were a must with the kids.
I hope to get a round of golf in but will just rent clubs if I can fit it in.
I was hoping for a great authentic Mexican restaurant so thanks for that tip Hooter.
One of the seafood restaurants will be a must too.
Looks like we could take in a Coyotes game too. Kids have been to games in Calgary but would be cool to go to a game in shorts and a T shirt.
The jeep tours look pretty fun too.

Keep the ideas coming, thanks again.
SS
Old 02-25-2018, 07:40 PM

Good seafood in Scottsdale at a unique underground restaurant which was an old salt Cellar.
Aptly named "The Salt Cellar" More of a date night place for two.
http://saltcellarrestaurant.com/

Kids might enjoy sliding into the dining Room at Rustler's Rooste and trying a Fried Rattlesnake appetizer. Good views. Stumbling distance to your hotel

http://www.rustlersrooste.com/

Sedona day trip as mentioned-visit the energy vortex on the Airport Road.
Worth a stop on way back at Jerome- old Copper Mining Town on a ridge with stilts holding up the backs of the houses. Lots to see and do there of a touristy nature.

Last edited by omega50; 02-25-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:31 PM

there's a huge outdoor flea market that's great for a couple hours.
dog races are if your into that.
there's a few real neat restaurants on Indian School rd, can't remember the names though, one had sawdust on the floors.
lots of great golf courses, there's probably 10 on Scottsdale road alone.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:39 PM

They have some fun water parks and some of the best rated BBQ in the country. If the kids are older San Tan Flat bar and grill is fun. Live music, smore kits, beverages for the adults. Good ribs.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:49 PM

If the kids are old enough, hit Scottsdale gun club for some mags of full auto. You are never going to get any younger, you need to do this asap.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:37 PM

I'm not sure how old the kids are, but the hike up Pinnacle Peak trail is a good way for the kids to burn off some steam if they are getting bored of the pool. We had our daughter up there when she was about 6, a little bit of whining initially as it was fairly warm (first week of May), but ended up enjoying the hike. A moderate hike with great views. There are a few places to sit down and rest, but nowhere to get anything to drink so make sure that you take water along.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:13 PM

Not sure how old your kids are, but I'm a young guy and my parents have taken my brother and I to Phoenix numerous times since we were in our early teens (I'm in my early 20's now). Best thing we ever did was check out the Davis-Monthan base in Tucson (under a 2 hour drive). It is without question the most surreal thing I have ever seen in my entire life. Acres upon acres of USAF planes all neatly arranged in rows far as the eye can see. If nothing else, it puts the sheer military might of the United States into perspective.

Catching a Coyotes game is also great family fun for fairly cheap (nevermind, I see you said in April lol). Cave Creek is a sweet place to spend an afternoon hanging out and eating. Fashion Square mall in Scottsdale is a pretty premier place to shop, and a cool place to see a Ferrari with Alberta plates on it. Lots of great hiking all around the metro area. Other than that, if you're a real "out-and-about" family when it comes to vacations, there's not a whole lot else to offer. If your family is more of the kick back, relax, enjoy some nice weather and eat type vacationers like mine, Phoenix is fantastic. So many great restaurants and an unreal variety.

Oh, and prepare to spend what feels like half your trip driving on either the 101 or 202, lol.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:59 PM

Gun club would be great, would they let a 10 year old shoot too?
Trip will be relaxing by the pool with a couple day trips/adventures.
I will send the girls to the mall as its not my thing, and me and the boy will go find something to do. Anyone know of any Zipline places down there? We did that at GAtorland in Orlando a couple years ago and the boy loved it. He was 6 at the time.
Looking forward to some good restaurants as well.