Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Banned

Default "My Spot"

Had a very interesting encounter with a guy this morning. Parked my truck at 5:30 am at the only public access to 3 1/4s of awesome Crown land. Hiked in, set up, called two different bulls in (shooter and a rag) and walked back out. Didn't see or hear any sign of another guy anywhere in the area. A couple hours later a greasy looking little guy pulls into camp screaming about how "I ruined his hunt". Managed to decipher through his obscene rant that he owns a 1/4 that borders the Crown. He had walked in from his yard apparently and unbeknownst to me I had got between him and a bugling bull. This guy screamed for ten minutes about "******* ethics" and then tells me "stay out of my spot or I'll call the fish cops".

How in depth does he expect a person to get when checking for other hunters prior to walking in? Should I rent a chopper and scan it all with thermal imaging first?

He has spent the last four hours screaming up and down the lease road we're camped on, making dust and firing an SKS or something steady. Rcmp don't care, Fish and Wildlife will be another couple days before they call back most likely.

This stuff gets worse every year
Old 09-13-2017, 02:32 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 02:36 PM

if your hunting crown land, I would tell him to pound sand and then kindly give him the F & W phone number.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:43 PM

Sounds like a real winner...Better set up some trail cams around your camp, you will likely have a visitor while you'er out hunting...

Cohod
Old 09-13-2017, 02:46 PM

we had an incident like this 2 years ago but with out the yelling and ranting
my friend walked across the road from his parents farm and was laying in a combine rut in wheat field that we have permission to hunt.
When a guy came up and set up in the trees behind him in a position that would be shooting at or over my friend. i got the text and had to leave my stand to warn the other hunter as he had no idea there was a person out there. and really he did nothing wrong ( he also had permission from the land owner). From that day on we always make sure to park a vehicle at the entrance to the fields we hunt to make people think twice at least that there is other hunters in the fields

you did nothing wrong if it is crown land you were on how are you to know there is someone else in the area with no vehicle parked
Old 09-13-2017, 04:22 PM

What wmu?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Carry the app IHunter on your phone and check your position where you're hunting, maybe you did step into his land. At the end of the day if the CO shows up you'll end up getting charge with trespassing.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisg View Post
Carry the app IHunter on your phone and check your position where you're hunting, maybe you did step into his land. At the end of the day if the CO shows up you'll end up getting charge with trespassing.
Just guessing, but it sounds more to me like the landowner may have been hunting the crown land (or near it) thinking he owns it as well.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher10 View Post
Just guessing, but it sounds more to me like the landowner may have been hunting the crown land (or near it) thinking he owns it as well.
We don't know the true story, but if the guy is yelling he will call a fish and wildlife I'm sure he is very confident or just bluffing. But anyway its better to check where you are.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
We don't know the true story, but if the guy is yelling he will call a fish and wildlife I'm sure he is very confident or just bluffing. But anyway its better to check where you are.

Maybe he was just the village idiot.

What makes you think the OP didn't know exactly where he was? Sounds to me like he had a pretty good idea.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Sounds like an fn guide that was trying to bluff him.
I've run into that kind testing me to see if I could be buffaloed about who owned the land we were standing on.
Probably deserved some shots fired in anger.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:56 PM

Default my spot

very good chance ur dealing with the village idiot good luck
Old 09-13-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
We don't know the true story, but if the guy is yelling he will call a fish and wildlife I'm sure he is very confident or just bluffing.
I've also been sued every time someone threatened to sue me.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:09 AM

His reckless behaviour may be interfering with a lawful hunt. You may want to call the fish and wildlife office for him
Old 09-14-2017, 02:11 AM
Banned

I knew EXACTLY where I was. He walked into the Crown from his own land. He openly admitted that it's Crown land several times on video.

What this was, was an effort to try and intimidate me / us from hunting 3 1/4s of raw Crown because it's "his spot".

What's unfortunate is that had the little greaseball showed up and had some class / manners, he would have had a plate of breakfast, coffee & Baileys, a friendly chat and left with a handshake and a couple less guys ever hunting "his spot" again.

Even if he would have realized 1/2 way through his hissy fit that maybe I'm not such a bad guy after all and apologized he probably could have salvaged it.

Instead, now he has a camp full of hunters who couldn't care less about "his spot". We probably would have even just let it go if he would have stormed off and left it at that. Instead he spent in excess of 70 minutes (the first time) flying up and down a mile long, 2 track lease road doing 80+ and firing his stupid SKS off. We collected 207 7.62X39 brass today off the road. The road is literally less than 3 feet from my trailer (very limited camping around here). And there are 3 kids under 10 in our camp. Then he came back and did it all over again for even longer. Then he came back a third time).

Despite 3 calls to the rcmp and solid video evidence (face, name & license plate) of him clearly shooting his gun in the air while driving his truck, nobody came out to put a stop to this. (15 whole minutes away from the detachment).

Once F&W gets through with the dozens of calls about this idiots brethren hopefully they show up and discuss some firearms offences.

Not sure if the guy was drunk, high or just plain stupid. I tend to lean towards the latter. Who in their right mind pulls something like this on 5 large grown men by yourself? Seems like a good way not to make it home that day if you pull the wrong guys chain....
Old 09-14-2017, 02:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Sounds like an fn guide that was trying to bluff him.
I've run into that kind testing me to see if I could be buffaloed about who owned the land we were standing on.
Probably deserved some shots fired in anger.
180 degrees the other way in reality actually.

Not sure what you're trying to encourage with "shots fired in anger" but it's certainly not something anyone with any sense would involve a firearm in
Old 09-14-2017, 05:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentSpokesman View Post
I knew EXACTLY where I was. He walked into the Crown from his own land. He openly admitted that it's Crown land several times on video.

What this was, was an effort to try and intimidate me / us from hunting 3 1/4s of raw Crown because it's "his spot".

What's unfortunate is that had the little greaseball showed up and had some class / manners, he would have had a plate of breakfast, coffee & Baileys, a friendly chat and left with a handshake and a couple less guys ever hunting "his spot" again.

Even if he would have realized 1/2 way through his hissy fit that maybe I'm not such a bad guy after all and apologized he probably could have salvaged it.

Instead, now he has a camp full of hunters who couldn't care less about "his spot". We probably would have even just let it go if he would have stormed off and left it at that. Instead he spent in excess of 70 minutes (the first time) flying up and down a mile long, 2 track lease road doing 80+ and firing his stupid SKS off. We collected 207 7.62X39 brass today off the road. The road is literally less than 3 feet from my trailer (very limited camping around here). And there are 3 kids under 10 in our camp. Then he came back and did it all over again for even longer. Then he came back a third time).

Despite 3 calls to the rcmp and solid video evidence (face, name & license plate) of him clearly shooting his gun in the air while driving his truck, nobody came out to put a stop to this. (15 whole minutes away from the detachment).

Once F&W gets through with the dozens of calls about this idiots brethren hopefully they show up and discuss some firearms offences.

Not sure if the guy was drunk, high or just plain stupid. I tend to lean towards the latter. Who in their right mind pulls something like this on 5 large grown men by yourself? Seems like a good way not to make it home that day if you pull the wrong guys chain....

Play the dam video...looks like a good laugh...come on we are waiting...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-14-2017, 06:37 AM

if its crown land tell him to pound sand, you didnt know he was there.

if im on crown, and i dont see any trucks, you can bet ill hunt there. if there is a truck ill move on.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:38 AM
Banned

Oh well. In the city or out in the bush you will always run into someone that is upset about something. Just the way it is.
Good luck on the rest of your hunt.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:44 AM

Default police involvement

Sounds like the police need to visit this guy. It might be a pain in the butt, but I'd keep calling the rcmp until you get results.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:50 AM

Best thing you could do is tell everyone on here the gps coordinates to these 3 1/4's of Crown Land.

If he didn't like 5 guys hunting it he for sure won't like 500. Payback's a bitch!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:19 PM

Sounds like he's used to things going the way he wants. Even if that means trying to bully somebody into doing what he wants. What happen to having a nice chat with a guy? Would love to see the video
Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Best thing you could do is tell everyone on here the gps coordinates to these 3 1/4's of Crown Land.

If he didn't like 5 guys hunting it he for sure won't like 500. Payback's a bitch!
That is SORELY tempting.......
Old 09-14-2017, 01:40 PM

If it's on video show the cops, shooting out of the window of a vehicle? He might lose his guns over that one.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:23 AM

The video should be some good popcorn material!!
Post it up!
Old 09-15-2017, 11:46 AM

Wow, this dude is obviously off his rocker. RCMP passing on a chance to lay firearms charges though? 15 minutes away from a detachment? That's weird.

either we will be seeing one of the best/worst videos in AO history, or I smell black dodge dually exhaust from his trips up and down the road

Old 09-15-2017, 12:00 PM

So sorry to hear about your experience.

Its a CRIME to harass or prevent someone from lawfully hunting, under s. 47 of the Wildlife Act.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:00 PM

Pretty sure we will never see said video......
Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 PM
Banned

Not something I ever see myself posting on the internet.

Still no call back from Fish & Wildlife
Old 09-15-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentSpokesman View Post
Not something I ever see myself posting on the internet.

Still no call back from Fish & Wildlife
If everything you say is legitimate probably would have been better off to call 911. That is dangerous use of a firearm, shooting from a vehicle etc! (Crime in progress)