Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 PM

Default Syphilis

What is with the ad blitz on the syph? Radio and TV, it is getting tired.

Also makes me wonder what the models and actors are getting paid to portray syphilis sufferers.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:55 PM

Oh no, Bob hacked Swifty's account!!!

We just saw that same stupid commercial. Are you watching Bones too?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Oh no, Bob hacked Swifty's account!!!

We just saw that same stupid commercial. Are you watching Bones too?
me to lol
Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 PM

Nope, hockey, and then a movie. Pretty much any Canadian network is getting it.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 PM

They've been blitzing it for the last few weeks.

I believe that syphilis, a disease with low and steady infection rates in the west, has been making a sudden and alarming resurgence.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:28 PM

deep throating a pike and banging its tail on the table to the beat of a lady gaga song is suppose to cure and prevent it
Old 06-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Considering how these things generally get started, my guess is some politician visited a lady of the night and paid the price, more then once.

Either that or some add agency has friends in high places and needed some work.

Yeah I know, I'm cynical. It comes from years of watching governments do their thing.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
deep throating a pike and banging its tail on the table to the beat of a lady gaga song is suppose to cure and prevent it
you told me that was a cure for hemorrhoids ....and i'll tell you it didn't work
Old 06-08-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
LOL!!! I can see that.

Now when I think about Lady Gaga fans I also think of that guy from Silence of The Lambs. " It puths the Loshion in the bathket. It doths thith whenever ith told."
Old 06-08-2011, 10:34 PM

syphilis is easy to cure. It has few symptoms.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 PM

Ok got it, stay away from Phyllis!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 PM

The rates of STI in Alberta are the highest in Canada
Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Considering how these things generally get started, my guess is some politician visited a lady of the night and paid the price, more then once.

Either that or some add agency has friends in high places and needed some work.

Yeah I know, I'm cynical. It comes from years of watching governments do their thing.
Unfortunately not - it's a real problem affecting Canada.

Reported Rates of Infectious Syphilis by Sex and Overall, 1993 to 2008, Canada
Old 06-08-2011, 10:41 PM

A foursome of Mafia guys are on the golf course and a funeral procession drives by. Big Lou stops mid swing when he notices the procession; puts his club down,removes his hat and bows his head. After the procession goes by,Lefty says: " Big Lou,I've never seen you show respect like that for someone you didn't know." Big Lou replies:" I did know her. She died of Syphilis." Lefty says: "OH COME ON,nobody dies of Syphillis anymore." and Big Lou replies: " When they give it to me they do!"
Old 06-08-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
you told me that was a cure for hemorrhoids ....and i'll tell you it didn't work
you need to check your freezer for your reading glasses
Old 06-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoplex View Post
Unfortunately not - it's a real problem affecting Canada.

Reported Rates of Infectious Syphilis by Sex and Overall, 1993 to 2008, Canada
No kidding ! I had no idea, I though that was something only hookers and their johns got. Guess I'm out of the loop. Mmmmmm, it occurs to me that could be a good thing in this case.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
They've been blitzing it for the last few weeks.

I believe that syphilis, a disease with low and steady infection rates in the west, has been making a sudden and alarming resurgence.
Geeze plex....you have to stay home more often and stop buying tequila shots and mojitos for the waitresses

LC
Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
No kidding ! I had no idea, I though that was something only hookers and their johns got. Guess I'm out of the loop. Mmmmmm, it occurs to me that could be a good thing in this case.
That's the messed up thing. Apparently, the age group accounting for most of the increase in new infections, are teenagers. I assume that means high-schoolers too. That's the alarming bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Geeze plex....you have to stay home more often and stop buying tequila shots and mojitos for the waitresses

LC
Hah! I was going to make a joke about "hey, those infection rates aren't going to raise themselves!" but in light of the age group thing I mentioned above, maybe that's a joke best left untold
Old 06-08-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
syphilis is easy to cure. It has few symptoms.
In its early stages, but it is nothing to be trifled with. You don't even have to have sex to catch it. You can get it by contact with infected bedding or clothing. It can also be transmitted by the mother to her fetus, during pregnancy. Unlike gonorrhea, it doesn't stay in your genitals, but migrates to other organs. Untreated, it will become a very unpleasant experience that will kill you in the end, after it affects your brain and makes you insane. Supposedly, Columbus men brought it back to Europe, from their explorations.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 06-08-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:01 PM

I would be interested in the data. Usually if a rate is given, then it is based on positive results. Therefore, only people who tested positive are used for data. People who tested negative are not important, we are not interested in them,...but the segment of the population that is importnat andmay not be represented (I don't think they are) are the undiagnosed/tested positives. I would guess the rates are much higher than in the graph in this is the actual case.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 PM

Photoplex is right. It's not just Alberta, it's across Canada. It's pretty sad the attitude the younger generation has towards STI's. Where I was working the stuff I came across would make a lot of you sick. I could tell you stories that would give you nightmares for weeks. Anyways to give you an example of the attitude of what I was dealing with. one of the clients I worked with came into our care. She had genital warts on her anus, gonnorhea of her throat and eyes, chlyamidia,PID, and gonnorhea. The thing that was disturbing was that she was proud that she had contracted all of these infections. She was only 14yrs old at the time. This was back in 1997.

In the last couple of years it's gotten even worse with Aids. The attitude is " It's not going to happen to me." They have this mentality that they are invincible. I got bit by a girl who had been working the streets. I wasn't allowed to know what her status was. ( hiv +) as she was child welfare. So I ended up on the anti hiv / aids cocktail. ( combivair) That stuff made me so sick for 6 week. Then blood test for the nexts 6months. Not knowing if you have a life sentence because of a little female dog. Fortunatly I was lucky.

I've seen kids have sex for money their 1st time as something special. They are now HIV positive.

The reason for the syphillis campaign is it is the fastest transmitted STI going at the moment and yes it's easy to treat. However not always are there symptoms. That's why when you see the girl in the commercial doing her make-up you only see her with the scabs briefly as the symptoms are hidden.

I guess this has run on a bit sorry. I guess I just want to keep people informed.

SycoSean
Old 06-08-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I would be interested in the data. Usually if a rate is given, then it is based on positive results. Therefore, only people who tested positive are used for data. People who tested negative are not important, we are not interested in them,...but the segment of the population that is importnat andmay not be represented (I don't think they are) are the undiagnosed/tested positives. I would guess the rates are much higher than in the graph in this is the actual case.
You're right. That's why it says "reported rates" on the graph title

The actual rates will be substantially higher - but they don't know they have it yet, and haven't been to a doctor or clinic.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycosean View Post
Photoplex is right.
Doesn't happen that often!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:

The actual rates will be substantially higher - but they don't know they have it yet, and haven't been to a doctor or clinic.
I present data on infectious diseases, even things like a graph title can totally misrepresent the data collected. I saw an alarming statement that MRSA infections had doubled in just one year at a particular facility...

Last year they had one case, this year they had two.

Out of thousands of patients it's pretty insignifficant rate wise.

Goverment are masters of the graph and data spin...lol
Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Sad. Just sad.

So this is the legacy of the free love generation. I was part of that generation. I didn't heed the warnings either, but I was never part of the in crowd so I didn't get to join in the "fun".
Back then I felt so left out. Now I am just thankful I wasn't welcome in that crowd.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I present data on infection diseases, even things like a graph title can totally misrepresent the data collected. I saw an alarming staement that MRSA infections had doubled in just one year at a particular facility...

Last year they had one case, this year they had two.

Out of thousands of patients it's pretty insignifficant rate wise.

Goverment are masters of the graph and data spin...lol
The data is at the bottom of this page: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/std-mts/r...008/05-eng.php (Table 5)

Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 PM

There is stigma, fact, at risk populations, misinformation, information overload ..etc etc etc.

The majority of new cases of AIDS now come from heterosexual activity..

In Canada if you are a homosexual male, you cannot donate blood...well you can, but it won't be used...
Old 06-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

That would explain the higher number of infected men in relation to women on the chart then. Insanity is easier to detect in men so more of them get tested quicker.....or not.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 PM

Wow I thought I was being edgy asking for advice on what kind of tree to plant as a live fence?

We truly have run out of topics LOL!

You guys should see some of the ones on the Corvette forums, they have absolutely no shame. I remember one about grooming hair. Not that hair, or the other the 'other other hair'

Old 06-08-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Wow I thought I was being edgy asking for advice on what kind of tree to plant as a live fence?

We truly have run out of topics LOL!

You guys should see some of the ones on the Corvette forums, they have absolutely no shame. I remember one about grooming hair. Not that hair, or the other the 'other other hair'
Westicle would be proud
Closed Thread