Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 AM

Default First Time Hunting As An AKA...

Above The Knee Amputee (AKA),

This will be my first year back hunting since the amputation, really looking forward to going out with my son as this will be his very first time. My main reason for disclosing this info is to see if anyone is trying the same thing as being a newbie to all of this and seeing if anyone had some good or bad expeirences that we could try as well.We both have tags for W/T and Bull Elk

Thank you in adavnce.

Last edited by SDW; 11-02-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 AM

I'm not in your situation, but did have a friend a few years ago that lost a leg due to testecular cancer - it didn't slow him down too much.

Go for it and have fun , Bucko!!
I'm not sure how mobile you are, but I think i would choose to watch trails and employ a ground blind.
Cat
Old 11-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Good luck
My hunting buds and I , always would bull**** in camp about what would happen if one of us could not walk.
Of course in the bravado we said we would pack each other around on a pac board.

In the end I think you have the support of every hunter out there who's heart and minds are in the woods.

Found these links- Not sure what we have local- but somewhere to start.

http://www.activeamp.org/sport_dir.htm
Old 11-02-2012, 08:38 AM

Thanks Omega50...lol..Yes I have had those same discussions with the boys when we were out and of course everyone said " Oh hell ya we will just tie you up to a tree and hope for the best...hahaha

I think if I gave them the oppurtunity they would still do this!!

Thanks for the link!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 AM

Best of luck to ya , SDW. Just curious, what method do you plan to employ?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 AM

Good to hear your getting back into it. As your son gets older im sure he and your friends will be there to help with getting the gear in and out. Lots of nice ground blinds out there now. With a heater im sure they would be cozy. Im sure you know about it but get the permit that lets you use and atv. Make sure you display that blue sign from the mirror Go out and get a big one, you deserve it.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:55 AM

Good for you! Good luck! I hunted one year with a cast on my right leg from my crotch to my ankle. Knee surgery. I even managed to pack a mule deer up the Peace River hills! You're only limited by what you think you can and can't do.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 AM

I have applied and recieved a permit to use an off road vehicle from morning to noon.. Im not to sure if that allows me to use my truck as well in the morning. I will have to check into that, Im sure it does. Its only good for three years though, (like the leg is going to come back...lol) but better then nothing! We have been out twice now but walking through the bush is more of a battle than I thought it would be.. I like the idea of ground blinds..but my son loves the thrill of tracking them and seeing where their headed, so I was just seeing if someone had some other ideas on how a guy can go about this.
Thanks to everyone that has given some good pointers!!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:12 AM

Ground blinds can be very rewarding....just takes a little extra patience. I used one when hunting with the crossbow. I actually had one like an ice fishing shack with a small heater in it. I was fortunate to have access to the land to accomodate such a setup.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 AM

I admire your tenacity.

How did you lose your leg?

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 AM

Bushmaster what kind of heater did you use that wouldn't spook the deer? How long did you sit in your blind? To be honest I have never used one, always thought that once you get it setup thats where you stay for quite awhile... I guess if you know where their traveling this would work very well??
Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Banned

I have seen Americans from the southern states use those little propane canister heaters up here. Those heaters are pretty tough. They can even take a few hits of chaw onto the burner.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
I admire your tenacity.

How did you lose your leg?
It was due from a rodeo accident 21 years ago, broke my femur, which led to a whole pile of DUNG from that moment on.

As of April 2011 the took it after 13 surgries trying to stop the arteries from devoloping aneurysms.

Or we could go with SHARK attack, that always sounds better...lol
Old 11-02-2012, 09:41 AM

Good luck to you and your son. Good on you for still chasing your passion and getting past your challenges.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/man-w...aper-1.1018264

Interesting story, hopefully he will be successful and will start create new technology for amputees.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:46 AM

I just used methyl hydrate in a tin can....just takes the chill off. And yes, I just set it up on a trail they were using heading to a field to feed in. And I cut the window slot specially to fit my crossbow. If you could find the right situation it works perfect....and it doesn't take them long to get used to it. I think I shot my deer that year only 2 nites after putting the shack out.

And the shack really retains any scent so it helps with that situation.....
Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I just used methyl hydrate in a tin can....just takes the chill off. And yes, I just set it up on a trail they were using heading to a field to feed in. And I cut the window slot specially to fit my crossbow. If you could find the right situation it works perfect....and it doesn't take them long to get used to it. I think I shot my deer that year only 2 nites after putting the shack out.

And the shack really retains any scent so it helps with that situation.....
The methyl hydrate that Bushmaster mentions is excellent.

I use an old metal tobacco can or similar, put a roll of toilet paper into it an pour a liter of methyl hydrate in. Works like a charm.

Bushmaster: thanks for getting some cobwebs out of my memory system

Cheers.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW View Post
It was due from a rodeo accident 21 years ago, broke my femur, which led to a whole pile of DUNG from that moment on.

As of April 2011 the took it after 13 surgries trying to stop the arteries from devoloping aneurysms.

Both are actually pretty intense scenarios!
I have no advice, but I'm sure glad you're not going to let it slow you down.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 AM

very intertersting story behind that knee!!!

This is the start of one of many knees I have tried
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0183.jpg (20.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 AM

My Dad had a friend that lost both legs from the knee down..a war vet. His name was Gene and he used to come out deer hunting with us in Manitoba every season...he would just wear shoes when the rest of us had on nice big warm boots to slug around in the snow...one day we were out hunting with a coupla others that did not know Gene and finally after midway through the day one of the fellows said to Gene "hey man your feet must be frozen by now..where are your boots" well Gene was sitting on the tailgate of the truck and he just started banging his feet together while saying to the guy "i think your right..my feet are frozen i can't even feel them"...Gene had a great sense of humour same as you have SDW...Gene used to take his turn pushing the bush as he wouldn't have it any other way...he just had to do it at his speed...and we all went along at the speed he was comfortable with.
The look on that fellas face when Gene was banging his feet together which produced a sound something like to pieces of wood being slapped together was priceless to say the least.
Good luck with your hunting...you will do just fine once you get the hang of it...but go at your own pace...it worked for our Bud Gene and it will work for you.
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 AM

Default Another brother!

Quote:

You should have gone with the venemous spider bite-story.
Arach would have been on a string at this point.
You missed your chance fella.
Stick around long enough and you might learn something.

As for me, I'm a double AKA.
In my former life I was a super hero.(I know lot's of super hero's from around the world)
I tried to stop a car from rolling down a hill onto my cousins and my sisters. I got pinned btwn the tailgate and a power pole. I lost my super hero permit that day, but hey... I was only 2 at the time.
I have hunted pretty well all my life. I have taken Elk, moose and deer and often on my own.I would still like to hunt a Caribou one day. That's my next goal!
I use a quad and I made a three wheeled hand pedal bike to get me in on stealth mode for the bow hunts.
As for Heat?
Helly Hansen insulated Coveralls, cut off and sewn up with a Hd sewing machine. It's just about time for a new/used set.

Now, for those of you who didn't know what Ken was talking about, go re-read the Lowballing thread

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 AM

Thas an awesome story!!! Thank you to evryone for all of your input.

We will keep you updated as to how the season goes.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I'm not sure how mobile you are, but I think i would choose to watch trails and employ a ground blind.
Cat
I lost my left leg below the knee in 1994. This is the strategy I like to take.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:38 PM

Little off topic, but I can't help myself.

If you guys want to go play some sledge hockey, PM me and I can put you in touch with the coach in your area. Once hunting season is over anyways. Priorities!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Thas an awesome story!!! Thank you to evryone for all of your input.

We will keep you updated as to how the season goes.
you have a awesome attitude, I know you'll do great...best chain
Old 11-02-2012, 06:53 PM

My father lost his right leg in WW11 above the knee. Only thing he couldn't do with his wooden leg was dance like he used to. He drove standard vehicles for many years from gravel trucks to personal pickups. One guy he hunted with said he was quieter walking with one leg than most people with 2. I remember only hearing the squeek/clunk of his leg. I will warn you though be very carefull on ice. I would hate to have you fall and break a hip.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Banned

Luckily I have my two legs but I just can't feel them. I had a spinal cord injury that has left me with no sensations from the ribcage down. I have applied for a special licence from RELM to get out this year. Hopefully it turns out okay or else it will be JUST a meet and great with Ken07vette...
Old 11-02-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain2 View Post
you have a awesome attitude, I know you'll do great...best chain
^^^x 1000 I can offer a little insight to using ground blinds and heaters as I got a buck in one last year and tried (in vain) many times to thin out the wolf population. The deer seem to get used to the blinds right away and we put Mr. Buddy propane heaters in them and it keeps them pretty toasty and it doesn't seem to spook the game at all.

The only down side is trying to avoid falling asleep sometimes. LOL It doesn't have the suspense of spot and stalk hunting or tracking but it is a great way to get out doors and you still see lots of wildlife and game.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 PM

I hunt in ground blinds all the time. I use a small catalic propane tent heater when it's real cold. It's nice and warm and i don't seem to see any less game with or without the heater running. Being comfertable makes it way easier to sit long periods of time. I shot a 6x6 bull elk last fall while hunting whitetails..it was minus 30 and the heater was going full blast. The elk fed right out in front of my blind..maybe 75 yrds away.