Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-29-2020, 12:00 PM

Default Coyote price tanked?

Talked to fellow took coyotes into a buyer today. Buyer said the market took a big hit and he was offered a lot lower price than his recent sale with same buyer. Anyone have any insight?
Old 01-29-2020, 12:11 PM

Just hold onto your fur till after this Coranavirus gets past. I am sure the worry is way less Canada Goose sales and that is what has been driving the yote prices for a while now.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:40 PM

I heard some buyers were paying way to hi of averages in the beginning and now trying to pull it back by offering lower prices now. Shop around for a different buyer.
I just sold out for a 130$ average.

I don’t believe corona virus has much if any to do with it as the ban is on wil animals for meat not for imported fur.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:49 PM
Banned

Coyote pelt futures are down?

As a precaution, the Copenhagen Fur sale was postponed due to the coronavirus and Chinese buyers attending. It sounds like the buyer is taking advantage of the situation to fleece customers. SCAM!

https://www.kopenhagenfur.com/auctio...ruary-auction/
Old 01-29-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
I heard some buyers were paying way to hi of averages in the beginning and now trying to pull it back by offering lower prices now. Shop around for a different buyer.
I just sold out for a 130$ average.

I don’t believe corona virus has much if any to do with it as the ban is on wil animals for meat not for imported fur.
I am not saying the "Chinese Wildlife Ban" has anything to do with it, but think of it this way: if Canada Goose sales in China drop to near zero you can bet that coyote fur prices are going to be heavily affected. Do not under estimate how much of a market maker Canada Goose is, selling over $800 million worth of Parkas a year and growing at 30%. I also agree that this is buyers trying to take advantage of a short term problem, which is why I said to just hold onto the fur if you can't get the prices you think are fair.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I am not saying the "Chinese Wildlife Ban" has anything to do with it, but think of it this way: if Canada Goose sales in China drop to near zero you can bet that coyote fur prices are going to be heavily affected. Do not under estimate how much of a market maker Canada Goose is, selling over $800 million worth of Parkas a year and growing at 30%. I also agree that this is buyers trying to take advantage of a short term problem, which is why I said to just hold onto the fur if you can't get the prices you think are fair.
Why would Canada goose sales drop to zero because of the corona virus.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Why would Canada goose sales drop to zero because of the corona virus.
Do you ever read a news report or watch TV? There are 100 million people in quarantine, travel in and out of the main area is already locked down and China is starting to lock down travel through out the rest of the country. Travel to and from mainline China to Hong Kong has already been suspended. Apple and a whole raft of companies, including CP rail are issuing guidance warnings for the next quarters revenue and profits as a result of trade, travel disruption and reduced demand. Airline stocks are off 5 to 30%.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/tim-cook...irus-1.1381167

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/air-cana...eads-1.1381510

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/po...-virus~1887620

Last edited by Dean2; 01-29-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Talked to fellow took coyotes into a buyer today. Buyer said the market took a big hit and he was offered a lot lower price than his recent sale with same buyer. Anyone have any insight?
What was the average offered? Maybe time for me to get into the pelt buying game.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Do you ever read a news report or watch TV? There are 100 million people in quarantine, travel in and out of the main area is already locked down and China is starting to lock down travel through out the rest of the country. Travel to and from mainline China to Hong Kong has already been suspended. Apple and a whole raft of companies, including CP rail are issuing guidance warnings for the next quarters revenue and profits as a result of trade, travel disruption and reduced demand. Airline stocks are off 5 to 30%.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/tim-cook...irus-1.1381167

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/air-cana...eads-1.1381510

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/po...-virus~1887620
Three links that show nothing about Canada goose. Thanks for the read though.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Coyote pelt futures are down?

As a precaution, the Copenhagen Fur sale was postponed due to the coronavirus and Chinese buyers attending. It sounds like the buyer is taking advantage of the situation to fleece customers. SCAM!

https://www.kopenhagenfur.com/auctio...ruary-auction/
75...last week was 125....prior to looking/grading the coyotes he warned the guys in the building. Most held onto their fur he said.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Three links that show nothing about Canada goose. Thanks for the read though.
Since it seems to be to much to ask you to put the puzzle together from the raw info, here is a Canada Goose Specific one.

https://www.fool.ca/2020/01/28/will-...s-stock-lower/

And in case pictures work better for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsHk_7dm1Bg

How can you be in a business and have no idea what drives the demand and pricing in it?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/28/coyo...ar-parkas.html

Last edited by Dean2; 01-29-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
75...last week was 125....prior to looking/grading the coyotes he warned the guys in the building. Most held onto their fur he said.
US$57 Average.

I’M IN! Everyone bring me their fur and I’ll give you $100 on good quality coyotes!

Last edited by HunterDave; 01-29-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Since it seems to be to much to ask you to put the puzzle together from the raw info, here is a Canada Goose Specific one.

https://www.fool.ca/2020/01/28/will-...s-stock-lower/

And in case pictures work better for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsHk_7dm1Bg

How can you be in a business and have no idea what drives the demand and pricing in it?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/28/coyo...ar-parkas.html
You are right Canada goose is going straight to zero and since they are the only ones driving the fur market we are doomed. Forget about the market that’s in North America, and all the other manufacturers that use coyote fur for trim, and sell all over the world as well. Forget about the Canada goose retailers that have their inventory for this year all over the world and will still sell it. You are right Canada goose is going down.

It shows that Canada goose sales have gone up drastically in the last couple years but coyote prices are about the same they have been for the last 3-4 years so with a little decline 5% now in Canada goose stock that will bring them down to still higher than what they were a couple years ago when coyote prices were still pretty much the same they are now.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:20 PM

Default Coyote prices tanked

If a person was going to hang on to some finished coyotes, what would be the best way to do that so they would not loose any of their quality.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:49 PM

Hanging mine in a building un heated.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
ok and the buyer was?
Old 01-30-2020, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
If a person was going to hang on to some finished coyotes, what would be the best way to do that so they would not loose any of their quality.
Packed air tight in a freezer. Bugs will get to them even if you think there is no way there is bugs, there are bugs.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:42 AM

Default Coyote price tanked

Marty, can you chime in on this, and tell us what you think is going to happening?

Thanks for the tip South West Trapping.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
ok and the buyer was?

Anyone? .......anyone?
Old 01-30-2020, 10:21 AM

China not doing so well... globe preparing for a pandemic...

If the prices have been hit that hard then I’d hold on to your fur.

Slow year for me anyway. I’m a recreational junior. All my fur is still hanging at home. And won’t be going anywhere soon. If markets are low and my last effort for lynx is unrewarded then I’ll be tanning all my own.
A few fisher a few fox and a couple
Coyotes. Might do ok on a few tanned.

For the guys putting up big numbers of animals, be cautious and get as much info as you can before making a decision.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:36 AM

We are probably going to miss NAFA's large cooler fur storage capacity this year. They would hold large volumes until temporary dip in market passed.
Corona virus will pass but probably take a few months for things to get back to normal.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:58 AM

I thought FH bought there facilities. Should include coolers.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
I thought FH bought there facilities. Should include coolers.
FHA only took over the Winnipeg sorting facility. The Toronto facility still belongs to NAFA.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
FHA only took over the Winnipeg sorting facility. The Toronto facility still belongs to NAFA.
I believe on Jan 6 they closed the sale of the Toronto distribution centre. Not sure if that’s the only one they had in Toronto but that’s what it says in the last letter I posted.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:37 PM
AO Sponsor

All eyes are on China... almost. But let’s not forget the high end EU and NA people with the deeper pockets. It’s still free movement of goods to those markets, but limited quantities.

Its a wait and see at this point, as to what will happen. CG stuff goes thru China, and the low end coyotes of course too, as well as all kinds of the other wild fur... obscene amounts. This is not good.

I believe I heard that the Kopenhagen sale was postphoned??? Not good.

The fur industry didn’t need a snag at this point. It’s already been dealt a tough enough hand to try to play and survive. For some in the industry this is potentially a very serious problem, I wish well to all.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:15 PM

Could be worse....thank goodness there isn’t a super moon on the horizon.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:18 PM

In sw Ontario prime hides are harder to come by. Last year the local trapper shipped over 100 last year and a few were tops at $130. Average $79ish.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:38 PM

Dont forget if China really wants them, theres internet bidding or brokers that will do the bidding for them. It's far from the end of the world. Not ideal but I wouldnt panic just yet.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:54 PM

I discovered firsthand today am that the coronavirus hasn't hit South AB, in particular Hays, yet.I was quite pleased with the prices I got from the grumpy big boy there.His face went from no expression to a huge smile when he saw the Tim Horton doughnuts.I had some $200 dogs and a $130 average on mostly section 1 dogs.Well worth the doughnuts and trip to sell to Marty.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
I discovered firsthand today am that the coronavirus hasn't hit South AB, in particular Hays, yet.I was quite pleased with the prices I got from the grumpy big boy there.His face went from no expression to a huge smile when he saw the Tim Horton doughnuts.I had some $200 dogs and a $130 average on mostly section 1 dogs.Well worth the doughnuts and trip to sell to Marty.
So you're saying we gotta bait him ??

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk