Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-22-2018, 10:47 AM

If there was moisture involved, for sure I can see the big differences in velocity ,
I tested some factory ammo a while back that was not stored well and had huge POI differences and hang fires as well .
I have never experience that in properly cared for factory Ammo however old it is
Cat
Old 07-22-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
This member is long on claims, and short on specifics.

He’s worried about answering questions, for some reason.

The jist of the matter is, if ya wanna put mind blowing information on the inter web, you better be able to back up said information. So far I’m not seeing any thing but un supported rhetoric.
Lol ok

I shared my experience.

I’ve seen some cool things over the years and had some really great experiences.

I wouldn’t call this one mind blowing.

I find you quite heavy on the rhetoric.

Either way I’m done with this thread.... and you.

Enjoy your Sunday!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcw View Post
Yes far apart on the same range with two labradars.

It’s been tested against F1 Alpha and Beta and against two Magnetospeeds.

Slight variance but stable variance between units. As expected.

What’s your point?

I don’t care if you believe or not. As I pointed out to elk hunter those shells could very well have sucked in moisture.

That would certainly account for the vast differences in velocity.

You don’t need to be a dick, Dick.
So now moisture may have been an issue?

In the other thread, you were using those huge velocity variances to imply how inconsistent factory loads are.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:01 AM

I bought a box of Nosler trophy grade 140 accubonds to break the barrel in on a Tikka 270wsm that I had bought. On the box the ammo is supposed to be 3100 FPS. I set up my shooting chrony and used my magnetospeed and I was surprised that the factory ammo averaged 2840, significantly different than what was printed on the box.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:04 AM

I have had some conversations in the past with several industry R&D people about cartridge consistsncy of componants and finished Ammunition itself and any lot # of ammo that displayed those velocity extremes would be pulled.
Cat
Old 07-22-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I bought a box of Nosler trophy grade 140 accubonds to break the barrel in on a Tikka 270wsm that I had bought. On the box the ammo is supposed to be 3100 FPS. I set up my shooting chrony and used my magnetospeed and I was surprised that the factory ammo averaged 2840, significantly different than what was printed on the box.
Quite common, and no different than loading manual velocities being way optimistic.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Quite often that is the case because of the different rifles used , this is not unusual at all.
a friendcsndvibonce tested a batch of ammo I loaded in our 30'06's, his a M70 and mine a Parker Hale.
Mine with the same ammo was consistantly 127FPS faster than his
Cat
Old 07-22-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Read the small print!
Weatherby’s are quoted as from a 26” barrel, with copious free bore included.

And chronograph’s have at least 1.0% to 2% instrumental error from one to another. Let’s see, 3300fps x 0.02= 66 FPS

It’s a number, plain and simple, how one number compares to the next, or even the next 20 is what’s gonna matter.

You can therorize, pontificate, and beat your finger tips raw calculating all the numbers out there. At the end of it all under field conditions, with adrenaline coursing through your veins, is it gonna matter that much?

The OP was about a very extreme situation, which I think was driven by some serious mis quoting of misunderstood results, and is far from typical.
Not sure I understand why you are suggesting "read the fine print"? I don't recall mentioning my barrel lengths in my post, which, BTW, both are, in fact, 26".

My point was simple, I haven't seen the variation in inconsistency using factory rounds anywhere near what the OP experienced - that's all, that's it.

Although I'm not an expert, I do understand, and do expect, some small variation in load velocities from round to round and I also don't expect to see velocities as published "on the box" to be repeatable to all rifles as the same box of ammo produces different results in different rifles. I know at least that much - but that wasn't my point.