Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2018, 08:44 AM

Default NETFLIX and You Tube question!

As I'm new to NETFLIX, does playing you tube use up more data?does it cost extra money?I'm using a Roku to stream this stuff any hidden foreseeable problems with this set up?Thank you.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:47 AM

You can log in to your Netflix account and choose your speed. YouTube shouldn't be as bad unless you are a very heavy user.

Quote:
Sign in to Netflix.com.
Select the profile you'd like to change your data usage settings for.
Note:
Data usage settings cannot be adjusted from a Kids profile.
Select Account.
Under My Profile, select Playback Settings.
Select your desired data usage setting (please note that each estimate below is per stream, and that restricting data usage may affect video quality):
Low (0.3 GB per hour)
Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)
High (Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD and 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)
Auto (Adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality, based on your current Internet connection speed)
Select Save.

Edit>

Found a listing for YouTube use. If you watch 2 hours a day of 720p content you can hit around 30 GB month.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:18 AM

Default netflix

What that does it translate into real $$$/month/movie, not interested bite coins?
Old 04-04-2018, 09:24 AM

All depends on your internet plan as well, most internet providers have a certain Gigabyte limit per monthly plan, you will need to figure that out as well in order to see the full picture.

As noted above, you can change quality settings on Netflix, AND Youtube as well. These are all factors that change how much data you will go through.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:55 AM

General rule of thumb to get you in the ball park is streaming a movie or tv show, whether it’s Netflix, you tube or what have you is about a gig per hour of content. As the guys said this varies if it’s standard def, HD, or whatever. Our home package with Telus is supposedly unlimited, but the fine print says unlimited up to 500 gigs or something. I’m fighting with them about this currently lol. We don’t have tv, just Netflix and combined with internet use we have come close many times and went over a couple of times, which costs extra and costs can add up fast once your over your limit
Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
What that does it translate into real $$$/month/movie, not interested bite coins?
It can vary greatly based off of what kind of plan you are on. copper/dsl/fiber? Satellite? Cell tower? Line of sight?

Find out how much you pay for your data and then we can work it out. It is 2018 and being ignorant to the most basic data terms is not really acceptable.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
General rule of thumb to get you in the ball park is streaming a movie or tv show, whether it’s Netflix, you tube or what have you is about a gig per hour of content. As the guys said this varies if it’s standard def, HD, or whatever. Our home package with Telus is supposedly unlimited, but the fine print says unlimited up to 500 gigs or something. I’m fighting with them about this currently lol. We don’t have tv, just Netflix and combined with internet use we have come close many times and went over a couple of times, which costs extra and costs can add up fast once your over your limit
Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try switching to teksavvy, they offer actual unlimited plans. I use them because even on a slow month I use >600gb. I also only have netflix/youtube.