Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-19-2020, 07:25 AM

Default Are hunting rifles over scoped?

I was shooting again last night with the rifle I’ll be hunting with this fall. I’ve hunted with a lot of rifles over the last 15 years. 95% of them wore the same model of scope. A light small fixed 6X scope that can be mounted low over the rifle, not affect balance, carry well in the hand, go into a saddle scabbard, and most of all maintain zero. I’ve taken game cleanly with that scope from 5 yards to over 550 yards.

Are hunters, in general, over scoped?

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 08-19-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:35 AM

Most hunters deer hunt and most deer are shot within 50 yards. Thats low power territory.

I like the 1.75-6x32 Leupold

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2020, 07:37 AM

I like a 3x9x40. I have never needed anything more then that.
It’s set on 3 power all the time.
I will turn it up to 9 if the need arises for a longer shot which isn’t that often.
Maybe once every 3 or 4 years. And that would be inside of 500 yards.
That’s my comfort zone. Any farther and I am either getting closer or passing on the shot.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:43 AM

You and I have conversed about this before Chuck , and I think that most hunters would be much better served by getting away from high powered , big variable scopes and either going to a lower powered fixed or variable like a fixed 6X or 3-9X, and for several good reasons .
However this is not the popular trend these days .
Cat
Old 08-19-2020, 07:45 AM

Id say it depends on the type of hunting you do, down south were there is much more open territory you could be taking longer shots. Ive never sheep hunted but I hear there are also many occasions were you take longer shots. Personally I would like the option of an adjustable scope should one of those situations arrive. Where I hunt I find 5x gives me a nice field of view for most in blind shots. If Im walking the woods I would prefer iron sights but I settle for 3x because that is as low as my scope will go. When coyote hunting I often have it dialed up to 9 or even 12 depending on what rifle I have that day.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-19-2020, 07:50 AM

I would say that most are over scoped. But we all some point think more magnification is better. (Being young and dumb) with time we come to realize we dont need much more then 4 power. Most of my hunting run a 2-7 or iron sights. I also hunt with mostly pistol calibers and "older" I use that word lightly calibers like the 30-30 and 45-70
Old 08-19-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Most hunters deer hunt and most deer are shot within 50 yards. Thats low power territory.

I like the 1.75-6x32 Leupold

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Maybe where you hunt, but in over 45 years of hunting, most our shots were well over 50 yards. The average has been more like100-200 yards.

As far as magnification goes, yes many rifles are over scoped, probably more a product of media promotion than anything else.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

depends on your eyesightbudget cuz we all know bigger is better..actually for my out to 300 or less a 3-9 by 40 works very well....but a compact 6 power would be nice for my needs.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-19-2020, 09:16 AM

3-12 is my favourite but I started hunting g with a fixed 4 power and I loved that too. I own a 6-24 and while I love it for range day I don’t find it necessary at all for the field.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:17 AM

My favorite hunting rifle carries a 2-7 usually carried on 2x unless shot is over 100yds. My coyote calling rifles wear a 2.5-10 and 4-12. Which i find perfect for calling sets. My target/ long range hunting rifles wear 6-18 or 6-24. These are primarily long range hunting ( if shot expectation is over 400-500 yds) or precision target and long range shooting. I also have rifles wearing irons only which I shoot out to around 300. For every day hunting a fixed 4 or 6 or variable in the 1x-10x is all that's needed.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:22 AM

Default Thermal hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
My favorite hunting rifle carries a 2-7 usually carried on 2x unless shot is over 100yds. My coyote calling rifles wear a 2.5-10 and 4-12. Which i find perfect for calling sets. My target/ long range hunting rifles wear 6-18 or 6-24. These are primarily long range hunting ( if shot expectation is over 400-500 yds) or precision target and long range shooting. I also have rifles wearing irons only which I shoot out to around 300. For every day hunting a fixed 4 or 6 or variable in the 1x-10x is all that's needed.
Did you try attaching thermal hunting scope to your rifle, please visit the sponsor Forums: Infiray Thermal Hunting

Thank you.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:27 AM

I have a couple Leopold 1.5x - 5x scopes that I really like. Unfortunately I think they are discontinued.
I used to have a 6 x redfield on a 308 years ago. I like the idea of a fixed power having less to go wrong with it.
Sometimes 6 x is to much on a general purpose gun. Example coyote in culvert, badger / skunk in ditch or yard.
I think a compact fixed 2.5 or 4 power with just a one inch tube and no bell would have value on a everyday type of gun for old guys with tired eyes but if your just shooting big game at longer range you could use some more x and light gathering.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visir-thermal hunting View Post
Did you try attaching thermal hunting scope to your rifle, please visit the sponsor Forums: Infiray Thermal Hunting

Thank you.
When I can only LEGALY hunt between sunrise and sunset with 1/2 hour on either side of it that ain't gonna happen today and tomorrow don't look any better !
I am not about to shoot into bush when I do not have a clear line of sight either .
Cat
Old 08-19-2020, 09:31 AM

I dunno, I run the gambit from 2-7’s through to 8-32’s.
Purpose and expected use plays a big part in my optics choice.
Also many rifles I have serve double duty too, both for precision shoot for score scenarios, thru to big game hunting.

What I do know is far to many high mounted scopes out there these days, keep it low bro!

There are no absolutes
Old 08-19-2020, 09:31 AM

I have a 22_250 with a big variable. Can't remember how high it cranks up to but probably 8 or 9 would be the highest I would ever go. Magpies aren't that small
Old 08-19-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I have a couple Leopold 1.5x - 5x scopes that I really like. Unfortunately I think they are discontinued.
I used to have a 6 x redfield on a 308 years ago. I like the idea of a fixed power having less to go wrong with it.
Sometimes 6 x is to much on a general purpose gun. Example coyote in culvert, badger / skunk in ditch or yard.
I think a compact fixed 2.5 or 4 power with just a one inch tube and no bell would have value on a everyday type of gun for old guys with tired eyes but if your just shooting big game at longer range you could use some more x and light gathering.
I have shot coyotes at 30 feet with a 6X scope , no problem .

Cat
Old 08-19-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have shot coyotes at 30 feet with a 6X scope , no problem .

Cat
Were they moving? Field of view I think they call it?
I've shot stuff under grainerys and old buildings, etc. Sometimes if your to close you can hold your rifle in one hand out away from you and you will get a little circle in the center of the blackness in your scope where you can see your target if its extremely close.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:06 AM
Banned

I think worrying about other people’s methods is overthought.

If someone wants a 25x50x56 scope to hunt black bear out of a tree stand with a 30-30 because they like to count eyelash hairs then giver’ I say. I’ve used scopes that were 3-18x and never felt over scoped. I set it on 4x and if I need more I’ll crank it up.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visir-thermal hunting View Post

Thank you.
Why on earth would I need a thermal hunting scope? Legal shooting light is 1/2 HR before sunrise to 1/2 HR after sunset. It's illegal to discharge a weapon outside of that time frame. For protection purposes IF a firearm is need in the dark a weapon mounted light is the best option for dealing with dangerous critters.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I think worrying about other people’s methods is overthought.

If someone wants a 25x50x56 scope to hunt black bear out of a tree stand with a 30-30 because they like to count eyelash hairs then giver’ I say. I’ve used scopes that were 3-18x and never felt over scoped. I set it on 4x and if I need more I’ll crank it up.

Very true but this is a forum to discus everything hunting. Everyone should use what they like, but I have personally seen lots of people spend 30-50 seconds just finding the standing deer out in the middle of the field it's almost laughable. Also witnessed many guys pound rounds at targets and miss then turn mag down and what do you know hit after hit. It helps hunters accuracy more often than not to turn that mag down.
Often new shooters don't understand or know that and think that seeing the hairs on the deer is important for accurate shot placement.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:31 AM

The older my eyes get, the happier I am with today's scopes
Old 08-19-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I've shot stuff under grainerys and old buildings, etc. Sometimes if your to close you can hold your rifle in one hand out away from you and you will get a little circle in the center of the blackness in your scope where you can see your target if its extremely close.
Not after I stopped them
I don't shoot stuff under grain bins as a rule but know how to shoot moving stuff fast using both eyes .

Cat
Old 08-19-2020, 11:57 AM

I like 3x-3.5x for the minimum magnification, any more that that is a hindrance when a coyote runs up to your caller, figures out the game, then goes into maximum overdrive at 30 feet. Low magnification is also great for game in thick timber. For maximum magnification, the older I get, the more I like around 15x.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-19-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:09 PM

I don't make a habit of hunting coyotes with my " all around hunting rifle" but when I do it's because they are seen when I am hunting big game and they get a .311 shot from a rifle wearing a 1.5-4X Leupold
Otherwise they are shot with a rifle most likely wearing a 3-9X

I also believe this thread was started concerning big game rifles and the f
fact that many hunters are using scopes that are beyond their capabilities simply behave they were told or believe that is what they need .
Personally I think a guy is entitled to use whatever they want but if they ask tir help I will give them my full attention and experience and give them all the help I can
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08-19-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:21 PM

My no nonsense big game rifle has a Leupold 6x36. I'm assuming it's the same scope you are talking about.

Light (9.3 oz), compact, good glass for the price, super reliable. It works for me. The rifle it is on weighs 6 lbs 3 oz scoped.

Given the right cartridge, conditions and sufficient practice, you are good to 500 yards with such a set up.

Lots of talk lately of wind meters, range finding binoculars with ballistic data, big glass scopes that can take wind and ballistic data ect.

Can you push the range further with such a set up? Sure, still have to practice of course, and practice in field conditions, the cost is weight, bulk and complexity.

I like things simple, if I need to get closer, I'll get closer. If I miss out on an animal because I can't get closer, well I'm fine with that. If having all these gadgets adds something to the hunt for you, well whatever makes you happy is fine by me.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:29 PM

And it's not just a case of what the scope offers it, it's the magnification that you choose to carry it on. One fellow that I hunted with lost two opportunities on elk, because he couldn't find the elk in the scope at very close range. Both times , he had the 3-9 scope on 9x, and never thought to adjust it to 3x. We cured his problem by setting the scope to 3x, and using electrical tape to keep it there, but he never got another opportunity.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I use a 12 g with #4 buck and dead coyote choke for those close in running dogs. When calling in often packing the 12g and 22-250. 12g in lap and 22-250 right beside on bipod. I clip a plastic clamp on the shotgun tube so if I have to set out down quick it acts as a short bipod and Keeps the muzzle clear of the dirt/snow.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:55 PM

I don't shoot stuff under grain bins as a rule

LOL, I just gotta steal this line!
Old 08-19-2020, 01:09 PM

No they are not overscoped in general. People buy what they want. If they pay for it then it is good for them.

To cut to the chase, where I hunt in the woods, my opinion is that at 6x you are the one overscoped.

Why would your fixed 6x be better than a 3-9 in any way, shape or form?
Old 08-19-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
No they are not overscoped in general. People buy what they want. If they pay for it then it is good for them.

To cut to the chase, where I hunt in the woods, my opinion is that at 6x you are the one overscoped.

Why would your fixed 6x be better than a 3-9 in any way, shape or form?
They are brighter. In my experience they hold zero like grim death, they are lighter, the ring spacing is better, generally they can be mounted lower, reticle subtension doesn’t change, eye relief is constant, eye relief is generally more generous, eye placement more forgiving, and I’m sure more.

-Billy Molls