Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-17-2022, 01:29 PM

This is many years ago before hood releases were inside the cab. My buddy returned to his truck after a week of hunting and his truck would turn over but not fire. He lifted the hood to find someone had taken the rotor out of the distributor cap. He said it was a long cold ride out for help on a Honda trike.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:54 PM
Gone Hunting

6 men hale and hearty
6 balaclavas
6 Louisville sluggers
Zip ties and burlap sacks
Overwatch

Attitude adjustment as required. Zip tied and dressed in fine burlap, left blue and bruised in parking lot of local RCMP.
Adios!

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-20-2022, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Never could understand how low lives would mess with a truck that belonged to a guy carrying a loaded gun.
hahaha.. I guess they have no fear for gun lol
Old 02-21-2022, 09:19 AM

I think anyone messing with a vehicle like this should be charged with attempted manslaughter. It’s easy to see how getting back to a nonfunctional or missing vehicle could lead to death, inclement weather, miles from help etc.

I’m all for the burlap suggestion.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:45 AM

May as well take everything out of it and leave it open. Then maybe you won’t need to replace a window. Best you can do is hide anything worth taking and hope for the best.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:10 PM

I usually remove a fuse or 2 in hopes that if the contents go missing the truck stays...
Old 04-01-2022, 11:32 AM

Arrange a drop off and pick up or your vehicle will be a target. I have had the misfortune of several events over the years. Came back to find someone had tried busting the door lock by wedging a screwdriver into the lock but thankfully the culprit did not get the door open. One of my buddies had a window smashed and a parka stolen while sheep hunting near Cat Creek. Even the trailhead staging areas in Kananaskis are notorious for break-ins and theft.

On a hunt near Newbrook, while sitting in my winter whites on a cutline, with my truck parked within 500 metres and in sight of my hide, the neighbouring landowner drove up and tried jimmying the doors, windows, and canopy. Busted a lock but did not get in. He took off when he realized I was coming back up the cutline. I called the landowner, for the property I was hunting, who in turn called the RCMP. The would-be thief called F&W and reported my vehicle being on his land and that I was poaching and shooting one off his buildings. RCMP did nothing; no surprise, and I had to bring the F&W officer out to show him where my truck was parked and where I was hunting. Thankfully the fresh snow that came down just before I drove in proved whose land I was on, where I was parked, and where I was hunting. Even though I witnessed the guy trying to get into my truck and damaging the lock, the F&W said it would just be a "he said/he said" scenario and without pics of the guy at my truck, nothing would happen.

Great Karma Story - While hunting the OK Colony, my buddy and I were dragging a couple whitetails back to my truck that was parked at the top gate. Some younger colony boys came up in a truck, tried getting the window and canopy open. They did not see us in our whites until we were within 200 metres. They jumped back in their truck and waited for us to walk back. They demanded the pack of cigarettes on the dash and the box of beer in the back of the truck, even demanded money, or they would report us for trespassing. The one kid even pointed his Cooey 22 at us. They took off back down the road and my buddy and I loaded our deer. By the time we got to the main road, there was a colony tractor and an RCMP cruiser blocking the road and waiting for us. We were accused of driving across the fields but the RCMP officer quickly recognized that the wheel tracks on the fields were from a full sized truck and we were in a Ranger. The tracks matched the width of the colony truck. The Field Boss was on the tractor and recognized me, came over to say hello and let the officer know we were good guys and had been hunting there for years. The RCMP talked about pursuing charges against the colony boys that caused the drama but the Filed Boss says, "Leave dis to me." He went over and backhanded each one of the boys and started hollering at them in a mix of English and German. I am guessing those boys had their asses kicked later that day.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:36 PM

Default Too high

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt343 View Post
hahaha.. I guess they have no fear for gun lol
to care about the consequences of play stupid games win stupid prizes.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:01 PM

Default Swan Lake

Swan Lake by Caroline has had a lot of issues last few years. Last we were there the campground host advised us to not leave a motor on the boat or anything in it. That night the campground was raided and lots of stuff went missing. I hear its a regular event. You would think it was far enough away from town for the low lifes to go there, but no.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Changing the subject a little, but has anyone heard or seen any damage or theft at boat launches in the south? Been hearing stories of gas tanks drilled, tires stolen, windows smashed, etc. Just curious if there is any truth to these rumors.i know in the north this is becoming more of issue. to many places to grab and go and stay hidden while doing it.
I had my truck and trailer parked in the Peace River boat launch parking lot in Taylor, BC while I was out hunting one Saturday in November. After a morning hunt, I returned and found the truck up on firewood blocks with all 4 tires stolen. Happened in broad daylight right in plain view of all the vehicles traveling the Alaska Highway. Couldn't believe it. Not a great way to end the day.

I was pretty gunshy to leave my truck unattended anywhere for a while after that, but eventually realized you just have to live your life and deal with the risks.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:03 PM

Graham lake…years back…”locals” hanging around at the launch. We pull up, set up camp, load the boat, last thing I do is take the rifle out and load it. Made real sure they saw. Go fishing, nothing goes for a walk. No cell phones to call trudopes gestapo back then, consequences were real. Wouldn’t even drive there now.

Locking wheel nuts, locked metal bed cover, steering wheel lock, pull a fuse, nothing visible. Best a guy can do. If they want in and bring tools, they’ll get in.