Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Banned

Default After market bumper?

I’ve got a 2016 ram 3500 and am looking for a aftermarket steel bumper for. I like the looks of the iron cross but I’m unsure how good they are. Looking for something that a guy can use the jack all on and something that’ll protect my inter-cooler better. I’m a pee poor welder so building one is out of the question. I’m not a fan of those herder bumpers either.

What are you guys putting on your trucks?
Old 04-18-2018, 09:41 AM
Banned

Old 04-18-2018, 10:21 AM

Check out 4 Wheeler Parts on the South Side of Edm. They carry a really wide range of makes and models that will fit you truck and they have the experience to sell you exactly what you are looking for. They will also do the install.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-...s=26&t_pt=6410

I have used Specialty Offroad many times to install stuff. Find exactly what you want to have installed, have them order it, I usually save at least 30%. They do first class install work for good prices. They are also expert at doing one of, upgrades and installs.

Specialty Truck and Offroad
(10) · Truck Accessories Store
17893 106A Avenue Northwest #101
(587) 524-8177
Open ⋅ Closes 4 p.m.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:38 AM
Banned

Thanks Dean I'll check them out. Was looking at those move bumpers and getting a welder to buzz it together for me. Gonna have to price compare.

Any one you deal with there?
Old 04-18-2018, 03:55 PM

Bulletproof bumpers out of Red Deer
http://www.bulletproofbumpers.ca/
Old 04-18-2018, 04:04 PM

https://www.tdotperformance.ca/
Old 04-18-2018, 04:26 PM

I’ve had two ARB bumpers, had to buy the second after the first saved my life. Would highly recommend them if they have one for your truck.

Had a friend with a Road Armor bumper on a Hummer. Good, beefy bumper, but the coating sucked on it and he wound up redoing it.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:33 PM

Lots of out of work welders right now, I would look around for one.

I'd take a guess you could probably have one made for the same if not less then an off the shelf bumper.

I'm into both of mine for just material cost, about $500 for both plus powder coating, took us a few nights in the garage for each. And they are BEEFY

Even if I had to pay a welder it would probably still be less than an Iron Cross or anything comparable and I got to design them exactly how I wanted. I would post some pics but that skill set eludes me
Old 04-18-2018, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Lots of out of work welders right now, I would look around for one.

I'd take a guess you could probably have one made for the same if not less then an off the shelf bumper.

I'm into both of mine for just material cost, about $500 for both plus powder coating, took us a few nights in the garage for each. And they are BEEFY

Even if I had to pay a welder it would probably still be less than an Iron Cross or anything comparable and I got to design them exactly how I wanted. I would post some pics but that skill set eludes me
Thinking I might order one from move bumpers. About $500 for the kit and I think I can dig up a welder.

Bumpers aren't cheap lol. Any one that I like is $2000 +

Last edited by Norwest Alta; 04-18-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:47 PM

Caution. After market bumpers are causing a lot of issues with overheating. Quote from duramaxtuner.com protecting your after cooler may cause an issue they need a lot of air . Good luck !
Old 04-18-2018, 07:05 PM

Just installed an MLine on my truck. $2800

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 04-18-2018, 07:28 PM

Like that?

21751463_1921562034777543_4468356893039432456_n.jpg
Old 04-18-2018, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Yessir that's what I'm looking at. Yours?
Old 04-18-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Yessir that's what I'm looking at. Yours?
Brothers actually, he built it for his own truck. He owns an autobody shop in Sundre, does fab work like that as well (has built quite a few bumpers and such for ATV's as well). May be a bit far for you though

Have to look close at pic, but there are openings with expanded metal for air flow and lights in behind
Old 04-18-2018, 08:32 PM

Stay away from iron cross, I have seen two fail during towing. I did have one custom built at Badass Custom Bumpers, located in gull lake. approx. $2500.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Brothers actually, he built it for his own truck. He owns an autobody shop in Sundre, does fab work like that as well (has built quite a few bumpers and such for ATV's as well). May be a bit far for you though

Have to look close at pic, but there are openings with expanded metal for air flow and lights in behind
For some reason when I zoom the pic closes. The ones I'm looking at from move bumpers have their logo cut out in the center. Should provide enough air flow to keep things cool.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:50 PM

adrenaline bumpers
Old 04-19-2018, 06:28 AM
Banned

I have not looked in to this but I have heard from a few people who had accidents that they had problems with insurance companies for home made bumpers. There is no safety stamp or engineering stamp. Even though they are built very well, they aren’t built to work within the parameters that the normal bumpers are. I think it’s a load of crap but it might be worth talking to your insurance company about the bumper replacement guidelines. It sounds stupid I know, but anything they can do to avoid paying out....
Old 04-19-2018, 08:27 AM

I have front and rear Buckstop Hardware bumpers

https://www.buckstopinc.com
Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I have not looked in to this but I have heard from a few people who had accidents that they had problems with insurance companies for home made bumpers. There is no safety stamp or engineering stamp. Even though they are built very well, they aren’t built to work within the parameters that the normal bumpers are. I think it’s a load of crap but it might be worth talking to your insurance company about the bumper replacement guidelines. It sounds stupid I know, but anything they can do to avoid paying out....

Kill's me they pull that garbage (insurance companies), type of guy that determines he needs this type of bumper is buying insurance (jmo).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 04-19-2018, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Kill's me they pull that garbage (insurance companies), type of guy that determines he needs this type of bumper is buying insurance (jmo).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, I don’t know how much truth there is to this but it may be worth looking in to.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 AM

FWIW, I was in an at fault rear ended collision and neither my company nor the company of the person I hit cared that I had a steel bumper on my Jeep. The only thing I was told is that if my Jeep was written off and I hadn’t told them about the bumper, they’d be paying for an OEM part because my rates didn’t reflect the higher cost of the aftermarket steel one. Same goes for any aftermarket modifications really
Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
FWIW, I was in an at fault rear ended collision and neither my company nor the company of the person I hit cared that I had a steel bumper on my Jeep. The only thing I was told is that if my Jeep was written off and I hadn’t told them about the bumper, they’d be paying for an OEM part because my rates didn’t reflect the higher cost of the aftermarket steel one. Same goes for any aftermarket modifications really
This^^^^^^^

Just like aftermarket stereo's, Wheels & Tires, canopy or any other non factory equipment. If you don't tell them up front what ya got and prepare to pay the increased premium, your only going to get covered for factory stuff.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:11 PM

Misguided fabrication check them out on Facebook.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:17 PM

Had a dodge 1500 with a frontier bumper and now have a ford with a ranch hand. I think the frontier was built better. Both were work trucks. A buddy had one on his dodge 2500 and smoked a cow elk at 65mph. All it did was push the bumper back, loosened the bolts straightened it back up and tightened it back down. One deer or elk strike and your aftermarket bumper just paid for itself. I love the ARB bumpers but don’t own a truck I can put one on so it’s never been an option. My current f150 I just use my snow plow Lol. I figure that works for part of the year anyways.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:12 AM

Check out "Move Bumpers" it's a DIY kit and I'm sure it wouldn't take long someone to weld it up for you.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Check out "Move Bumpers" it's a DIY kit and I'm sure it wouldn't take long someone to weld it up for you.
Just ordered one. Upgraded to the off-road package and square light holes. $700 usd shipped. Should be here by the end of the month.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:19 PM

Any welders who have a 2015-2017 F150 and is interested in fabbing up two sets of bumpers for myself and himself--I can take care of the custom cut steel--shoot me a PM
Old 04-21-2018, 11:18 AM

Saw on Kijiji a while back that there was a guy making custom bumpers starting at $400. Sounds pretty good for a basic bumper.

Pretty hard to justify the price of some of them. I also like the look of the Iron Cross bumpers, but the finish seems to come off, and the price is high.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 04-21-2018, 11:18 AM

One of these days, I will weld up my own tube steel bumper.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!