Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2013, 12:50 PM

Default Fishing Holes and Flooding

Hey guys,

I was wondering how people here adapt to the mountain floods that can make a huge different in the rivers. I'd expect the bow around Calgary to not be affected as much as the elbow above Glenmore due to the type of debris. Everything above ghost I'd expect be very different. I'm originally from Ontario and many of the rivers I fished there don't change that much and the floods don't carry as much debris. Do you often have to re-explore and find new favorite stops after such big floods? Does that make things more interesting for you or is it just a pain?

Cheers.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Banned

good question.

im wondering if all the fish will end up in saskatchewan
Old 06-21-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
good question.

im wondering if all the fish will end up in saskatchewan
havent got down this far yet, fishing was dead today

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-21-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
havent got down this far yet, fishing was dead today
Or theys already gone!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:30 PM

With the saddle dome being filled to the 14th row, they may have to hold a fishing derby for the flames since the gold courses will all be flooded!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:35 PM

Some old spots will be destroyed, some new spots will be found...

All part of the game.

Looking forward to adventuring once the water drops.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 PM

Every year after the flood the water course changes and holes move.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-21-2013, 04:43 PM

With this type of a flood (which can be classed as catastrophic) the biggest loss are the trout eggs and very young fish. It may take a couple of years for the trout population to recover from this one.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:40 PM

Anything can happen except for things to be the same.

Watercourses could take completely new paths, or not. Fish might survive in strong numbers or the fish population could be almost entirely wiped out. I've seen all these things happen after the floods in 1995 and '05.

You won't know what changed until you go look. "Interesting" is a mindset, might as well enjoy the exploring, but it does suck when your favorite stream that used to produce 100 trout days suddenly has no fish at all....
Old 06-21-2013, 07:05 PM

I wonder if there will be a fish rescue effort from all the flooded areas that become stagnant after the torrent subsides.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
I wonder if there will be a fish rescue effort from all the flooded areas that become stagnant after the torrent subsides.
I'm also curious about this and maybe wondering if something could be organized through this great collection of outdoorsmen anyone else have thoughts on this? Or any info. I guess now would be the time to plan and start to organize. I would be in.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 PM

Default Where do they go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Anything can happen except for things to be the same.

Watercourses could take completely new paths, or not. Fish might survive in strong numbers or the fish population could be almost entirely wiped out. I've seen all these things happen after the floods in 1995 and '05.

You won't know what changed until you go look. "Interesting" is a mindset, might as well enjoy the exploring, but it does suck when your favorite stream that used to produce 100 trout days suddenly has no fish at all....
I remember a huge "washout" in the upper Athabasca region in the late '80's. All the rivers north of Hinton to GP area. Big stretches of Wildhay, Berland, Muskeg, Smoky, Cutbank, etc. just totally altered and turned into new, muddy, no cover, cleaned out water funnels, with barren banks, and with little apparent fish life. They came back over the years, of course - this has no doubt happened dozens of time over the life of such rivers.
But, it is an interesting question as to the effect on the resident fish when this occurs. With this kind of strong and humbling force of nature, do the fish generally "hunker", if they can, or do they get swept along with a significant degree of mortality? We know they "hunker" in the typical yearly high flow events, because fishing in the right spots can actually be pretty productive when this is happening. Anyone know of any studies, or just your own "surmise" on this? If anyone has seen that video of the sheer force of that water column coming off the Oldman River dam today... how would any fish, big or small, manage to hunker down and survive in the face of that kind of incredible power?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
I remember a huge "washout" in the upper Athabasca region in the late '80's. All the rivers north of Hinton to GP area. Big stretches of Wildhay, Berland, Muskeg, Smoky, Cutbank, etc. just totally altered and turned into new, muddy, no cover, cleaned out water funnels, with barren banks, and with little apparent fish life. They came back over the years, of course - this has no doubt happened dozens of time over the life of such rivers.
But, it is an interesting question as to the effect on the resident fish when this occurs. With this kind of strong and humbling force of nature, do the fish generally "hunker", if they can, or do they get swept along with a significant degree of mortality? We know they "hunker" in the typical yearly high flow events, because fishing in the right spots can actually be pretty productive when this is happening. Anyone know of any studies, or just your own "surmise" on this? If anyone has seen that video of the sheer force of that water column coming off the Oldman River dam today... how would any fish, big or small, manage to hunker down and survive in the face of that kind of incredible power?

I'm not sure how you could study this in the field other than to analyze post flood populationss.

In the larger systems the fish can possibly find a place to ride it out, but the smaller rivers and streams don't offer much for protection. The worst I experienced was after the 1995 flood. One gem of a stream with many trout in every pool and run was completely wiped out. I fished there four times that year and never caught a single fish when I was used to dozens a day. It has taken years for the stream to come even close to resembling what is was, and I'm pretty sure it has been wiped out again today....
Old 06-22-2013, 09:49 AM

I could see how streams can be totally wiped out. I'm sure there are some flat areas that flood and allow the fish to rest but the closer to the mountains the streams are the less likelihood of that happening. Fortunately Alberta has this obsession of damming up everything they can for hydro and reservoirs can provide shelter for the fish in these cases.