Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2013, 07:52 AM

Default Getting a 5yr old started in the Cold Lake area

Ok, so the 5 yr old step daughter is addicted to fishing.

She saw someone catch a fish off the pier and the next day we were off to buy rods and reels...I spent a couple hours on youtube learning basic fishing knots (I know not a thing about fishing), spending my evenings reading and rereading the regs, and every day since we've been casting off the pier.

"My arms are so tired but I don't want to stop fishing." lol, and that's despite not catching a thing.

It's pretty awesome seeing how into it she is and I want to help her learn all she can about it. I also want to keep this enthusiasm up.

Any tips on where to look in the cold lake area for a decent spot to catch little fish? We're not after trophies or eaters by any means - I just want to help her pull something - anything - out of the water so she can get the hang of this sport she loves so much and I know nothing about.

I'll be out this weekend looking for spots along rivers and some smaller lakes in the area, but really don't know what to look for. We don't have access to a boat, so that limits what we can do.

Also any tips on what to start using - spoons, lures, jiggs, worm on a hook? I'm so new to this it's beyond funny.

Any help = much appreciated!

BMD
Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 AM

I'm not from around Cold Lake, but if you have any little stocked trout ponds around, those are gold when it comes to kids fishing as typically the fish aren't too big and they aren't necessarily the smartest fish either.

Hook up a pickerel rig with some worms, shrimp, minnows or even corn (though I've heard corn isn't good for the fish I can't substantiate that), throw it out there and wait for a bite.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated as even the most basic info I can learn from.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Banned

If you go to moose lake just past bonnieville on #28 there is an information centre with a small trailer park area there's a public ramp there you can fish off end of dock there should be some perch there this time of year. small jig or spoon or if weeds are thick then hook with small piece of worm or maggot and a bobber should work.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:34 AM

The lakeland is one of the best places in the province to fish... little bear is good for trout perch on crane lake is a given in the summer for small perch or tucker... there are just far too many to mention.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADH View Post
The lakeland is one of the best places in the province to fish... little bear is good for trout perch on crane lake is a given in the summer for small perch or tucker... there are just far too many to mention.
X2 I would go down to the fishing supply stores in Cold Lake or Sylvester’s in Bonnyville and just ask where there are small perch biting. I would also get a slip bobber system for the lakes that don't have docks to fish from. You will have a hoot watching the step daughter hauling them in. That’s how I got my kids, nieces, and wife into fishing; small perch at Crane Lake.

Good Luck
Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADH View Post
Tried Little Bear two days ago and you have to cast a mile out to avoid the very weedy two feet of water, don't waste your time there....

Buys some bullet weights, swivels, bare red hooks, floatimng jig heads and make some lindy rigs up. They work everywhere from big lakes to small trout ponds. Its easy, here is how you do it.

1) take a 20" length of line and tie on one end a swivel and the other end a floating jighead (use floater head for large lakes and a small bare red hook for trout ponds)
2) then slide on your bullet weight(s) on to your line from the fishing rod/reel so the the taper end is towards the tio of your ros, DO NOT TIE WEIGHT, let it be able to slide.
3) then tie the fishing rod line to the other end of swivel rig you previously made in step 1.
4) If at a larger lake you can put on a twister, realistic jig on your floater head and tip with a piece of a minnow or if at a trout pond first put on a marshmallow to bare hook and a piece of dew worm threaded onto the hook.
5) Cast that sucker out there and let it sink to the bottom and tighten line and wait for the bite...you can do a very slow retrieve tooo and sometimes that stirs up action.

I swear by this technique and caught many fish in all kinds of water systems and to prove this works I actually was at Cold Lake two days ago and first cast using this I caught n released a 5 lb pike...that evening in two hours I caught n released ten pike on a pier and lost several one of which was at least a 20 lb pike! It works and will catch you fish and you won't have to cast 200 hundreds and have sore arms!! LOL Good luck and good on you to get a youngster into fishing!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:50 PM

Hey everyone, thanks again for all the help. Every tip is new to me. It's already awesome just seeing the little girl learn to cast so quickle - and cast really well. She takes such pride in that, I'd love to see how she feels when she lands a fish.

Any more tips on decent shore fishing spots in the area will be appreciated - if I find any on my travels then I'll be sure to share!

Many thanks once again,

BMD
Old 06-21-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarliesDonkey View Post
Hey everyone, thanks again for all the help. Every tip is new to me. It's already awesome just seeing the little girl learn to cast so quickle - and cast really well. She takes such pride in that, I'd love to see how she feels when she lands a fish.

Any more tips on decent shore fishing spots in the area will be appreciated - if I find any on my travels then I'll be sure to share!

Many thanks once again,

BMD
You can try Marie Lake....just a gorgeous lake that has healthy walleye in it, might be able to catch a few from the boat launch pier. It is located on the east side of Cold Lake (by English Bay) on the Primrose Lake highway.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 PM

Thanks again!

I've been to Marie Lake - I've been to a bunch of lakes around here, but I've never looked at them from the point of someone who wanted to fish them before....that will certainly change now.

Just got back from the Cold Lake pier (she braved the wind) where we were able to bring in three little pike....she got to land her first fish, so now the pressure is off and I don't feel so bad....

Thanks again everyone for the help!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks again!

I've been to Marie Lake - I've been to a bunch of lakes around here, but I've never looked at them from the point of someone who wanted to fish them before....that will certainly change now.

Just got back from the Cold Lake pier (she braved the wind) where we were able to bring in three little pike....she got to land her first fish, so now the pressure is off and I don't feel so bad....

Thanks again everyone for the help!
Congrates it is a great thing your doing, Good to hear she caught.

I'm a step father myself have been for 21 years he's 22 now taught him to fish to drive fourwheeler we've had great times together still do. You are doing something you both will never forget.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new LT View Post
Congrates it is a great thing your doing, Good to hear she caught.

I'm a step father myself have been for 21 years he's 22 now taught him to fish to drive fourwheeler we've had great times together still do. You are doing something you both will never forget.
You've got that right - i never will forget these times!! The best thing about this in my mind is that it's she who is getting me into fishing. Before she showed this enthusiasm, I could have taken it or left it. Now I need to know every knot that's been tied, lol.

ON TOP OF THAT,

The other day, she was brushing her teeth, getting ready for school with the missus and asked her "Mom, can I go hunting one day with Bob (me) and Doyle (our dog)?"

Damn near broke my heart through sheer happiness and definitely made my day.

Life is good.

I hope everyone is doing well, especially our folks in the south end of this province! Stay safe down there.

BMD
Old 06-22-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
You've got that right - i never will forget these times!! The best thing about this in my mind is that it's she who is getting me into fishing. Before she showed this enthusiasm, I could have taken it or left it. Now I need to know every knot that's been tied, lol.

ON TOP OF THAT,

The other day, she was brushing her teeth, getting ready for school with the missus and asked her "Mom, can I go hunting one day with Bob (me) and Doyle (our dog)?"

Damn near broke my heart through sheer happiness and definitely made my day.

Life is good.

I hope everyone is doing well, especially our folks in the south end of this province! Stay safe down there.

BMD
This is awesome. Good job.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:34 AM

congrats BMD, good luck out there