Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-23-2009, 05:57 PM
gitrdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by viral_override@hotmail.co View Post
Strangely enough I was out hunting with BBJ, Redneck Posse, and Rollie and betweent he 4 of us we had

30-06
300WM
300 WSM
and BBJ had the 270. We all found it to be louder and kick harder then any of the others.

We were firing between 150 gr- 180gr
It's not all about the caliber, there's a whole lot more that plays into the equation. Rifle weight for one, type of powder, bullet weight and barrel lenght all play a factor. I find it hard to believe that on par, the .270 kicked harder than any calibers that you listed. But then again, I wasn't there either.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 PM

Good advice quoted by others:

"As my wife always told me with my son's, "pick your battles"." - Okotokian

"Let him tag along without his gun." - huntinstuff

"Don't push him to go hunting." - altaberg

"Before giving up completely, try to have a heart to heart with him."
- DarkAisling

"...take the kid with you for the fun and the nature of it... he will have fun that way and in his own time get interested in shooting again." - crazy fool1

I suggest you start over by taking him along for a day's grouse or rabbit hunting. Just your gun, not his. He can bring a camera, binoculars, knife, cut a walking stick along the way. Maybe a guidebook on birds or plants/trees.
Take time for a nice lunch and kick back in a nice quiet place by some running water. Show him how to start a fire by
which to make hot choc. or warm a Danish. Talk about whatever comes up.

Yeah, with a kid that age, you pick your issues and your battles. When he shows outdoor skill or the beginnings of competence, take notice and praise him.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:10 PM

Give him some time behind a borrowed .223 or .243 and try attending a trap shoot just to watch, so that he can become more accustomed to muzzle report, Remember once bitten twice shy.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Don't know your situation, and CERTAINLY don't mean to offend, but have you considered that perhaps your son is not genuinely interested in participating in hunting or shooting at this time?....perhaps wanting your approval, but not really into it.....?
Hard for most of us to imagine, I know, but perhaps encouraging him too much before he's ready on his own may turn it into a negative experience, thus losing his interest.
I may very well be way off base, but thought its worth considering.
Many kids are like this, and one must try to figure out if their kid wants to go, wants to go to appease Dad, or gos but doesn't really want to!
The easiest way is to ask.....
Cat
Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 PM

Add weight to the gun first off then let him watch you shoot 110 or watever light loads are available in .270 while he wears ear plugs and muffs.
Eventually he will express an interest in shooting it again, just make sure it's pleasant. I shoot a light .243 and I find it unpleasant off a covered bench so I can only imagine what an indoor range must sound like.
It seems like a big thing now but in 2 years you will both have forgotten it ever happened if it's not made into a big thing. My two cents Denis
Old 09-26-2009, 08:45 AM

Default Interesting Thread!!

At 12 years of age my son was small in size, but wanted to go hunting. I've been a firearms safety and shooting instructor for a long time, so had a pretty good idea what effect recoil and muzzle blast could have on a person even my flinchy self. We shot the .22 rf lots and then moved up to a .223 (fun and cheap to shoot with .270 ballistics). I got him a short stocked Husqvarna .270 and put a Huber Concepts trigger on it. I sighted it in and he got to dry fire it to get used to the trigger (I know some may not agree with this practise, but it works pretty well for a new shooter). The first time he fired the .270 he shot an elk through the heart at 100 yards and then later that fall a whitetail buck. At 13 with his third shot through the .270 killed another whitetail buck. "What recoil Dad?"
This year at 14 he is my height (but not weight!). We have practised with the .223 and a few Remington Managed Recoil rounds throught the .270. We also shoot some trap. He now manages recoil pretty well. This fall I've asked him to borrow his .270 for elk hunting during the week while he is in school while my Sako .338 Win. Mag sits in the safe. THere must be a lesson in there somewhere!!
I'd suggest as others have to go back to the beginning and work back up to more recol when he is ready. He's probably growing now too. I do know that some persons can be very sensitive to recoil and muzzle blast. It may take awhile. Be patient a good luck! There nothing more exciting then seeing your kid get his first big game animal when he's ready!
Old 09-26-2009, 03:45 PM

Default Thanks everyone.

Thanks again everybody. All good advice, I am taking the patience approach. I do have access to a .243 and if he wants to we will try that out. For the record he loves going hunting and has come for three years, I don't believe that is the issue. Thanks again, patience grasshopper!

LB