Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-24-2009, 04:14 PM

Default Goose Patterns - how many hits do you need?

When you guys pattern your guns - where do you draw the line for acceptable/unacceptable?

Do you say for example "I need 15 body hits of no. 2 steel that was launched at 1500 fps"

Perhaps you want 75% of your shot in a 30" circle?

Really what I'm wanting to know is what is required to bring down a goose? I'm using 2 steel at a muzzle velocity of 1550 (the 20 gauge kent load) - how many hits would be needed at 30 yards?

I know turkey's are head shots - I assume for geese you also want head/neck shots or do you go for body hits? I've never chased geese before as you can probably tell. Thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 10:06 PM

the best goose shooter i ever hunted with (this is going back to lead days) told me all he ever went for was head shots. While we were using 1 7/8 lead bb's he would use no. 4 or 5's 1 7/8, he told me his berretta had one of the tightest chokes he'd ever seen (this was even before removable chokes).
He consistantly brought down geese from 50 to 60 yards and many many days he was the only one to get geese. All pass shooting, and almost always head damage. I don't know anything about steel but brain damage kills them.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
When you guys pattern your guns - where do you draw the line for acceptable/unacceptable?

Do you say for example "I need 15 body hits of no. 2 steel that was launched at 1500 fps"

Perhaps you want 75% of your shot in a 30" circle?

Really what I'm wanting to know is what is required to bring down a goose? I'm using 2 steel at a muzzle velocity of 1550 (the 20 gauge kent load) - how many hits would be needed at 30 yards?

I know turkey's are head shots - I assume for geese you also want head/neck shots or do you go for body hits? I've never chased geese before as you can probably tell. Thanks
I can tell you that from personal experience, that if you shoot a load of Fassteel 2's out of a 20 gauge at a goos , with the proper lead at 30 yards, that goose is in the pot!
I've also used Federal Premium 4's in 2/3/4", and and use a lot of Winchester 3"#2's, and have absolutely NO problem killing cleanly at decoy ranges on geese with this ammo.
I would use an IC choke and try it first however, looking back on my notes of the last few years, I have killed more birds with IC than with MOD choke.
Trulock Choke's hunter series of chokes are actually close to SKT2, as well, because of the idiosyncrasies of steel and choking it.
BTW, I've never pattrned this particular gun for goose and duck loads, except for my handloads, the factory stuff killed to my sastisfaction righth off!

However, yup, get yerself to yon gun shop, buy some fassteel or Winchester Drylock 2's, and go kill geese with your 20 - just remember to lead them on the HEAD, not the body!!

Cat