Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 10:53 AM

Default Foul Weather Waterfowl Hunting

While foul weather waterfowl hunting can be very productive, there are some precautions you can take to make the experience much more pleasant. I had the pleasure of using my hunting partners new willow blinds for the first time yesterday. Being able to sit or stand up in those cold, wet conditions, was much more tolerable than laying in a layout blind. Wearing goretex clothes kept me dry , with the exception of the water running down my neck, because I was wearing a cap. The next time, I will wear my goretex boonie hat with the brim all around. My neoprene gloves eventually became soaked, so I will take two pairs next time. As well, I will have a towel to dry hands and face, and also to wipe down my gun before putting it in the case for the trip home. Once at home, I completely stripped down my shotgun, and the water ran out of the receiver. I completely dried the shotgun, using wipes and a hair drier, and I let the case fully dry before placing the gun in it for storage. Overall, the willow blinds were the number one factor in our being as comfortable as we were, and they also allowed us to shoot at angles that would not have been possible with a layout blind. My hunting partners used a very good design, and did an excellent job of building them, and the magnetic fronts make them superior to the commercial blinds that I have seen.
Foul weather waterfowl hunting does have drawbacks, but it also has advantages, other than having to wipe the wet snow off of the decoys, the geese came in low and seemed much more anxious to commit to our spread than they normally are in bright sunny conditions.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:11 AM

Do you have any pictures to share. Sounds like a great set up.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Do you have any pictures to share. Sounds like a great set up.
I don't, I meant to take pictures with the blind fully dressed, but my phone didn't survive the wet conditions yesterday.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:01 PM

We got out this weekend on Sat and Sun. Had a couple of good shoots on Specks and ducks. The soggy conditions are not a favorite with me, but knocked out the competition for fields in the area for the most part. Sat was rain most of the day, this AM was a wet mist. Few things to dry out and get the mud off over the next few days. We had one peafield that was a gem, just folded the stalks up over the layouts, one that was hoovered, scrounged for stubble around the edges. Specks worked like they were on a string on Sat, ducks as well. Specks seemed to disappear on us this AM, no clue where they went, but, we ground it out and did alright, ducks were phenomenal, they didn't quit coming in even with the mojo down after we'd limited on them. They wanted to get shot.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:36 PM

Had a good hunt a couple days ago near Trochu, was rainy and overcast with heavy fog. Hardly saw any geese, which was strange for the area, but assumed it was due to the fog somehow. Lots of ducks in the air, including a ton of pintails. Ended up limiting out for three guys.