Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-15-2018, 08:39 PM

Default Storage

Hi,

Does anyone here in Alberta keep their safe in the garage? Just curious if there is any troubles with rusting from the winters, especially in non-heating garages?

Thank you
Old 09-15-2018, 08:58 PM

Default Safe in garage

Hi. I have my vault in the garage (48 gun). I had the same concerns as you regarding moisture. I installed two dehumidifier bars and use three dehumidifier packs. These packs (made by Remington) are the plug in type. When the beads turn from blue to pink I plug them in which dries them out. I do keep the firearms lightly oiled and have not had any problems with corrosion in the 5 years the safe was installed.

As a side note, I have my vault inside a cabinet so when you walk in to the garage you would not know there is a vault in there. It’s kind of handy not having to pack rifles from the house. It’s direct from the the vault to the truck to the field.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:43 PM

Had a safe in my garage once. Never again! Too much moisture and has some rust start
Old 09-16-2018, 08:08 AM

I would avoid it not only based on moisure but also because a garage is where one can easily back up a vehicle and load it in to open up with more time to spare elsewhere. That and what else is in a garage but tools? “I’ll just put this vault right here adjacent my 9” grinder, my larger pry bars and the ramp for loading heavy stuff into my truck”

Don’t make things easy for thieves: put it in the basement, conceal it and bolt it to the floor and/or walls.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:45 AM

I had to in our last home. Was a heated garage but I usually kept it just above freezing. Put the dehumidifier rods in safe. No problems.

I did build a cabinet around the safe as well. Nobody knows what is there. Also had an alarm system in the house with sensors and a camera in garage.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:12 PM

Hmm that's a good point with the tools. I mean I made sure when I bought it that it had no external hinges and it was a bolt down. With the security system installed I am less worried about theft and more about corrosion.

The other part I worry about is if I did take it down the stairs (besides the size -48 gun safe) the darn thing weights 800 lbs...so would my stairs be even able to support it.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:39 PM

My first house that I had when I bought my 1000lbs safe went down the stairs, reinforce them from the bottom. It was a pain as it has been moved 3 times since then. Not being moved again as no more housing changes .

Is your garage attached to the house? If it is put a heater in. Co-op has them on sale right now. Mr. Heater units.

I was nervous about having my safe in the garage at the last house. Nobody knew it was there once I built the cabinet for it. I didn't have an issues with corrosion. Put a rubber mat under it then bolt it to the floor. Build the cabinet to the wall with a sturdy frame that's not easy to get apart.

My safe is in a walk out basement now, not hard if they really wanted to steal it. I'm not making it easy for them how it's mounted .