Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-14-2015, 05:58 PM

Default Tree Stand

Okay so this is my first season out with the bow, and I would like to use a stand, if not now then eventually. I've attached a photo below of one I could have interest in if I decide to get one for this year.

I'm not sure the brand/model but I'm looking for some advice.

1. Is it too late to be setting up a stand?
2. Should I be staying away from ladder stands? (i know they all have their pros and cons)
3. What kind of trees should I be looking to setup on? Is it as simple as making sure its not a dead tree and has a thick enough trunk?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_27.JPG (54.9 KB, 463 views)
Old 09-15-2015, 09:51 AM

that stand is fine .... too late nope not too late... yes you are looking for a tree that would be around 8", 6 might be ok but the thicker the less wobble in wind...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 09-15-2015, 10:21 AM

1: no, but you want to avoid disturbing the area as much as possible. Let it sit outside for a few days. Spray with a scent killing spray. Set it up in the middle of the day, with gloves on, try to only cut what you have to for shooting lanes.

2: ladder stands are fine just get rid of the bar on the front, in that pic, it's a gun rest. And practice shooting from sitting, you don't always get a chance to stand up.

3: basically yes. You want to be 15-20 yards from where you think you will shoot game, in a spot you can see animals approaching, with enough cover to draw undetected, good shooting lanes. don't skyline yourself - ie make sure you are under or in the canopy with something above and behind you. Otherwise you stick out.

Edit: and have an access plan that doesn't involve stepping on any game travel route. Whitetails especially are smart enough to pattern a hunter in a week.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
1. Is it too late to be setting up a stand?
2. Should I be staying away from ladder stands? (i know they all have their pros and cons)
3. What kind of trees should I be looking to setup on? Is it as simple as making sure its not a dead tree and has a thick enough trunk?
1. Never too late
2. If you are getting a ladder stand and that is the only stand you have, you are conceding that you can't haul it around and put it wherever you want....i.e., you need an ATV to haul it right up to the tree you want it on. Maybe that is your plan? They are easily accessed by others and therefore easily stolen.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:24 AM

1. Set up the stand whenever, just cover your scents and minimize your area disruption, I use a climbing stand so I bring it in the day I'm hunting...

2. Ladder stands are a pain in the a** for moving around. So if your committed to one area of hunting there fine but as said before easy to see and steal, another reason I use a climbing stand, I take it out when I leave at the end of the day..

3. Any tree that's strong enough to hold.. 6-8" minimum. Try to be in the cover of branches and such... Your goal is to blend in, I do a minimum of 20 ft but I don't go much higher.

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING
Old 09-15-2015, 01:08 PM

Know dozens guys set up stands in any time of season get in and take critter same night...as stated above use as much scent free and distrubance caution as possible...

I love ladder stands...trees here are at a premium for portables so the ladders work very well... IMHO much more comfortable and safer also...but always use the buddy system setting up and taking down!

Neil
Old 09-15-2015, 06:56 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Set up anytime, let it be for a bit or not depending on time of season, bucks chasing does set up sit and hunt. One point I would do it flip up the rifle rest and attempt to be on your feet for the shot.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-15-2015, 06:58 PM

Never too late. I always choose the right tree first before the best trail to set up on. If possible set up in a good size spruce tree. They offer the best concealment bar none. You do not want to be skylined. My stand of choice is a lock-on stand with climbing sticks in a spruce tree if the limbs are not climbable. i will ususally have 8-10 stands set up and sit the ones that have the right wind direction.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:54 PM

I bought the Big Game Blackhawk hang on stand, I was going to wait till next year but I figured what the heck.

Just curious if there are any suggestions on harnesses I should be looking at
Old 10-27-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
I bought the Big Game Blackhawk hang on stand, I was going to wait till next year but I figured what the heck.

Just curious if there are any suggestions on harnesses I should be looking at
Most come with decent harnesses now...didnt the Big Game have one?

Neil
Old 10-27-2015, 09:33 AM

It does but definitely isn't an ideal harness.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
It does but definitely isn't an ideal harness.
Hunters Safety Systems makes a great harness for about $100. Is much better than the ones that typically come with the stands.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Hunters Safety Systems makes a great harness for about $100. Is much better than the ones that typically come with the stands.
x2

I also use their life line system for tying into the tree and climbing up and down the tree.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-27-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
x2

I also use their life line system for tying into the tree and climbing up and down the tree.

Heh! I use that one as well. A bit heavy, but sure is nice when you have a stand that you use often.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Heh! I use that one as well. A bit heavy, but sure is nice when you have a stand that you use often.
I use it with my hand climber. It is heavy though with all that rope.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-27-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
which one is that? the HSS Ultra-lite flex?
Old 10-28-2015, 09:12 AM

Default Tree Stand

Quote:
which one is that? the HSS Ultra-lite flex?

Yup! The one I have is the older version of the Black Ops model (same as the Flex, but black).

I love the fact that I'm buckled up and ready within a few seconds.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:13 PM

i bought the elite flex, i noticed it said "L/XL fits 175 lbs to 250 lbs" (I'm about 185) and adjusts from 35-56" around waist (I'm about a 32 or 33) Ive got it all maxed to the smallest it can go and it feels like the shoulders could slip off and legs aren't as tight as they could be. Should I go and try a medium (i think the Small/Medium size was good for up to 175 lbs) or should I stay with this one because ill be wearing some hunting gear and its actually rated for my weight?

Im in construction and have worn harness' before but I'm just wondering what you think
Old 10-28-2015, 09:20 PM

Good choice in stand! I have 4 of them as well a lone wolf and two big game hang ons, by far out of all my stands the Hawk is my favorite and its affordable.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I believe there are a couple vest-style Hunters Safety System harnesses in the South Edmonton Cabelas Bargain Cave - you might give them a shout to see whether they're still available and in what size.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
i bought the elite flex, i noticed it said "L/XL fits 175 lbs to 250 lbs" (I'm about 185) and adjusts from 35-56" around waist (I'm about a 32 or 33) Ive got it all maxed to the smallest it can go and it feels like the shoulders could slip off and legs aren't as tight as they could be. Should I go and try a medium (i think the Small/Medium size was good for up to 175 lbs) or should I stay with this one because ill be wearing some hunting gear and its actually rated for my weight?

Im in construction and have worn harness' before but I'm just wondering what you think
try it with your clothes on it should fit snug like the construction ones even if you have one of those they would work too
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 10-29-2015, 09:34 AM

With a ladder stand most dont need a five point harness system, they are safer than most portables with the side arm rest rails etc...

Neil
Old 10-29-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
With a ladder stand most dont need a five point harness system, they are safer than most portables with the side arm rest rails etc...

Neil
Didn't end up buying the ladder stand in the original post. Bought a hang on
Old 10-29-2015, 06:48 PM

I don't know what I did to all my footwear...but the deer cross my tracks to my stands all the time and walk along the same trails I have just minutes before...none have busted me due to scent on the ground, downwind of me is another story.

LC
Old 10-29-2015, 08:48 PM

To be a consistent with a bow with whitetails you need to be able to move. I hang sets and sit the same night. I killed my 2013 buck around 6:00 and hung the stand around 2pm. I'll move stands to stay on top of scrapes and changing patterns until the trees freeze mid November.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:29 AM

I recently bought the war hawk climber... I'm a big guy and it's very stable and easy to use. Killed a mule buck by seeing where they walked, went in at 2 pm, got in the tree, killed him that night. Gotta be versatile and able to move. It's the law in Canada, tree stands have to be sold with a harness.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:34 PM

first time putting a stand up. it went pretty smooth, I now own 2 stands and I'm going to end up putting them both up for opening season next year. But it sure is nice to actually do it, I'm sure i'll learn and improve on somethings for next season.

here are a few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tree stand1.jpg (95.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg tree stand 2.jpg (97.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg tree stand 3.jpg (96.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-02-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I don't know what I did to all my footwear...but the deer cross my tracks to my stands all the time and walk along the same trails I have just minutes before...none have busted me due to scent on the ground, downwind of me is another story.

LC
For sure! Two seasons ago I had finished setting up my stand, then went and got something to eat from the truck. When I came back, the base of the tree was littered with deer tracks. Too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneOutdoors View Post
I recently bought the war hawk climber... I'm a big guy and it's very stable and easy to use.
Is that the Hawk Warbird? I was looking at that one last year. Looks to be a really great unit at a reasonable price. Glad it's working out for you!