Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-07-2019, 05:11 PM

Default Thoughts on the marlin 1895sbl

anyone on here own one? what are your thoughts on it? im looking for a larger caliber rifle that I could use for bears, primarily to have it when camping in case but also have considered getting into bear hunting. it would likely also get used for moose and deer occasionally and just because big lever guns are a lot of fun to shoot.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:20 PM

I have two Marlins. The SBL and the GS. I have only hunted with the GS which has a 2.5x8 leupold on it.
If your looking for a brush gun with big stopping power you have found it. I would limit shooting distance to 200 meters. Not that is won't do the job further but you'd need to practice bullet drop to be consistent with accuracy. I found surprising good accuracy out to 200.
I loaded both copper jacketed and my own cast bullets. The jacketed are 325 grain hornady lever action bullets loaded with reloader 7 travelling @2150fps. You know when you've touched off. If at the range..... all the AR people stop to wonder what the !@#$ was that!
Produces a good concussion blast and fireball. Lol
This is the round I'd pack in grizzly country.
My casts are 500 grain with imr4198 @1350fps which is no slouch and a 340 grain plinking round loaded with unique @900fps for fun and easy on the shoulder.
45-70 is a great caliber for bear or other large game.
The SBL holds 7 rounds in the magazine. That's a lot of fire power.
Good luck with your future hunts.

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 02-07-2019, 07:48 PM

I just got one for xmas. It’s such a fun gun to shoot. I got it primarily to carry in bear country on my sheep hunt this fall. Gives me a little better piece of mind having it by my side while being way back there.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:30 PM

I LOVE my SBL. I bought it for to use as a bush gun with no scope. Love the ghost ring sights. I've shot one wild boar at 60 yards with a Hornady 325 FTX. Obviously dropped in it's tracks. Only animal I've taken so far with it. I just got set up for reloading. I'll be reloading Hornady 350 round nose, flat nose, & 405 cast gas checked lead. This fall I'll be taking a bear with this baby. I do want to buy a Happy Trigger & new spring & loading gate to make it easier to load & unload. Looks Awesome on the gunroom wall too!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5707.jpg (41.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6674.jpg (66.6 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by wheeler; 02-07-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
I LOVE my SBL. I bought it for to use as a bush gun with no scope. Love the ghost ring sights. I've shot one wild boar at 60 yards with a Hornady 325 FTX. Obviously dropped in it's tracks. Only animal I've taken so far with it. I just got set up for reloading. I'll be reloading Hornady 350 round nose, flat nose, & 405 cast gas checked lead. This fall I'll be taking a bear with this baby. I do want to buy a Happy Trigger & new spring & loading gate to make it easier to load & unload. Looks Awesome on the gunroom wall too!!!!!
God help the fool who tries to break in your house
Old 02-07-2019, 09:54 PM

I spent the money on the trapper. I prefer the shorter barrel and skinner sights. I don’t like the xs rail but it’s got its place if your throwing a scope up there. I’ll eventually put some laminate furniture on it. I’ve changed the loading gate with a stainless version and put a safety delete in since these pictures. I’ve also got a stainless grip cap for when I change the stock to laminate. I guess I’m trying to make a 16.5” barreled sbl with a skinner peep and no rail.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:34 PM
Banned

Own a few 1895's (SBL, CBA, SS, GS, XLR). For my money the GS and the CBA are the two favorites to carry on an all day hunt. The CBA has the 18 1/2" barrel and a very slim stock and fore end. The GS just seems to be better balanced than the SBL with the shorter magazine tube and the fore end isn't quite as bulky as the SBL.

You really can't go too far wrong with any of them though. The 45-70 is an amazing cartridge than can be loaded from mild to wild (within reason) and still be very effective. You really don't need to go overboard on velocity though as you'll never make it into a flat shooter.

The 325gr FTX at velocities over 2100 fps sounds impressive but have you ever shot anything substantial with that combination? Not the greatest meat load for preservation of product.

My favorite loads are WFN cast bullets (hard cast) and gas checked in weights between 425 and 450gr. Loaded stoutly you can still eat right up to the hole with very little blood shot meat and they will fully penetrate not only side to side but also front to back on most anything that walks around here.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys, looks like I'm gonna have to start saving. its my understanding that 45-70 is one of the most versatile rounds for reloading, I also own a 270 that is my primary hunting rifle now but I've recently moved to a brush filled area with plenty of bears so I though 45-70 would be a good option to have for a larger caliber. what does it cost to reload? I know to buy its quite expensive.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylejm View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys, looks like I'm gonna have to start saving. its my understanding that 45-70 is one of the most versatile rounds for reloading, I also own a 270 that is my primary hunting rifle now but I've recently moved to a brush filled area with plenty of bears so I though 45-70 would be a good option to have for a larger caliber. what does it cost to reload? I know to buy its quite expensive.
It can be quite reasonable, especially if you want to load cast bullets. Jet Bullets in Alberta or the Bullet Barn in BC are good sources. Gas checked bullets if you're looking at velocities over 1600 fps should be considered.

The Hornady 350gr FN bullet is an excellent all around jacketed bullet choice. Starline brass is very good and quite reasonable. Rustywood in BC is one source.

No need for exotic high end bullets, let the weight (350 - 450gr) do the work for you and you'll be happy with the results.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
Where do you get a better loading gate?

The biggest reason I don't shoot my marlin more is I despise the stiff loading gate. It will take the end of your finger off if your not careful.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360hunt View Post
I have two Marlins. The SBL and the GS. I have only hunted with the GS which has a 2.5x8 leupold on it.
If your looking for a brush gun with big stopping power you have found it. I would limit shooting distance to 200 meters. Not that is won't do the job further but you'd need to practice bullet drop to be consistent with accuracy. I found surprising good accuracy out to 200.
I loaded both copper jacketed and my own cast bullets. The jacketed are 325 grain hornady lever action bullets loaded with reloader 7 travelling @2150fps. You know when you've touched off. If at the range..... all the AR people stop to wonder what the !@#$ was that!
Produces a good concussion blast and fireball. Lol
This is the round I'd pack in grizzly country.
My casts are 500 grain with imr4198 @1350fps which is no slouch and a 340 grain plinking round loaded with unique @900fps for fun and easy on the shoulder.
45-70 is a great caliber for bear or other large game.
The SBL holds 7 rounds in the magazine. That's a lot of fire power.
Good luck with your future hunts.

I agree 100%
I shoot the 420 grain gas checked hard cast bullet at 1630 fps with IMR 4198 out of my GS.
Lot'sa boom, nothing runs off.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
Where do you get a better loading gate?

The biggest reason I don't shoot my marlin more is I despise the stiff loading gate. It will take the end of your finger off if your not careful.
You can Google Marlin loading gate for instructions on how to grind the gate to reduce spring pressure. I have done a couple and now they are much easier to load.