Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-15-2019, 11:33 PM

Default Wmu 400 elk! Everyone go hunt there! Bring your quad!

Hey guys,

If you're looking for elk go check out wmu 400. Loads of the buggers all over the place.

Nevermind the rules about OHVs being only allowed on designated trails. Just go wherever you want to! F&W don't bother with enforcement and the locals will be happy to tell you they think they own the place and can do whatever they want, so why would you act any different?

Oh and IF you get caught by a hunter who hiked to get into the no OHV zone make sure to blame the NDP, cuz realistically you only have to obey laws you agree with.

Last edited by sns2; 09-16-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:41 PM

I used to be really against the increasing OHV bans, but unfortunately a select group of the users really make it difficult to continue holding that view.

Last edited by sns2; 09-16-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:50 PM

Sounds frustrating. Try to adapt with a plan b or c then. You mentioned you hiked in, maybe hike away from the trails were atvs can’t get to? People will ruin hunts , it’s becoming more common on public land. I’m on plan B, had locals honking their car horns at first light on opening day. I pulled my set and went to a plan B spot that I scouted during the summer. I didn’t want to deal with that headache. Guys just want to hunt and not have to worry about other humans. Gotta roll with the punches, happens to us all

Last edited by sns2; 09-16-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Sounds frustrating. Try to adapt with a plan b or c then. You mentioned you hiked in, maybe hike away from the trails were atvs can’t get to? People will ruin hunts , it’s becoming more common on public land. I’m on plan B, had locals honking their car horns at first light on opening day. I pulled my set and went to a plan B spot that I scouted during the summer. I didn’t want to deal with that headache. Guys just want to hunt and not have to worry about other humans. Gotta roll with the punches, happens to us all
Already on it. Pulled up the tent stakes and saving the vacation days for another time. I may go back in there once the snow makes OHVs impractical if the tag doesn't get filled before then.

Truth be told I'm not upset to see other dudes out there so long as they're following the same rules I am. I tend to hunt country that requires some physical fitness to access and where OHVs are not allowed. Running into another guy who hiked his way in the same way I did will earn him some respect and a friendly chat.

These D bags fully acknowledged they were breaking the law and then had the audacity to ask who I was and where I was from. Even had their license plates flipped so you couldn't take a plate number down.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:40 AM

It’s very frustrating to not have rules enforced. I have reported many violations and F&W have yet to do anything.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:41 AM
Banned

Here's a thought, get away from all the trails. I was in there a while ago and never seen a sole.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Here's a thought, get away from all the trails. I was in there a while ago and never seen a sole.
Ya BS. You posted you saw OHVs on your last hunt. You probably one of them guys....
Old 09-16-2019, 06:28 AM

Unfortunately its going to happen out there. With the majority of the trails closed, we are still seeing fresh ohv tracks down most of them.

I would like to say that I'm not one for the closures. But with the trails being clearly marked, I wouldn't chance riding my atv down any of them.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:04 AM

It’s been happening for years and years in 400.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by sns2; 09-16-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:51 AM

Report them to fish and wildlife. That’s the only way things will change. As much as I love a good rant, you're kicking a dead horse.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:00 AM

What used to get me was you would work your way up a tough ridge get there before first light, start some cow calls and then guys blow by you on horses.
That's the way it is when hunting in areas with lots of hunting pressure.
Once walked into Tornado Pass before light had some bulls in sight just waiting for legal or good light and a group of hunters come walking by and elk scatter every where. You have to realize that they have just as much right to be there as you but it does make you angry.
I could go on about hunts that were wrecked by other guys one way or the other but that is hunting in high use areas.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
What used to get me was you would work your way up a tough ridge get there before first light, start some cow calls and then guys blow by you on horses.
That's the way it is when hunting in areas with lots of hunting pressure.
Once walked into Tornado Pass before light had some bulls in sight just waiting for legal or good light and a group of hunters come walking by and elk scatter every where. You have to realize that they have just as much right to be there as you but it does make you angry.
I could go on about hunts that were wrecked by other guys one way or the other but that is hunting in high use areas.

There’s a big difference between your hunt accidentally ruined by others following the rules and those doing so illegally.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
There’s a big difference between your hunt accidentally ruined by others following the rules and those doing so illegally.
Agree. Also, flipping their licence plates would be reason enough to call the RCMP as well. They won't change unless they get caught red handed unfortunately....
Old 09-17-2019, 02:04 AM

Get the licence plate number and report them!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:50 AM

I can see in the future hunters will start wearing body cams to keep a record of what they see and what they run into. Might be interesting to have one and review the tapes in the evening to see what you missed.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
I can see in the future hunters will start wearing body cams to keep a record of what they see and what they run into. Might be interesting to have one and review the tapes in the evening to see what you missed.
Lots will get missed because you’ll all be more worried about what others are doing and not worrying about themselves. Don’t want crowds get off the beaten path!
Old 09-17-2019, 08:42 AM

What I want to know: are there really loads of elk in WMU 400?

I don't own a quad, so you needn't be worried about me spoiling your hunt.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:12 PM

same thing in 305 in the Porkies, its a newly designated PLUZ but D bags in there going where ever they want on quads. Very frustrating when we hiked in there and guys come blazing past on quads. I don't get it, no Fishcops anywhere...
Anyways like others have said, I'm onto plan b.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosta View Post
same thing in 305 in the Porkies, its a newly designated PLUZ but D bags in there going where ever they want on quads. Very frustrating when we hiked in there and guys come blazing past on quads. I don't get it, no Fishcops anywhere...
Anyways like others have said, I'm onto plan b.
Hate to say it, but because it's a PLUZ this means that the quads "should" be allowed on the designated trails.

I'm not saying that people on quads always follow the rules and stay on those designated trails; but because the PLUZ is like Mclean Creek now, there may be quads on a designated trail next to you that are legally allowed in the same area. Doesn't matter in this case that it is hunting season - the quads (if on those designated trails) are allowed in there.

J.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:40 PM

there is many spots in the 400s where only horses or your feet will get you there
Old 09-17-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Hate to say it, but because it's a PLUZ this means that the quads "should" be allowed on the designated trails.

I'm not saying that people on quads always follow the rules and stay on those designated trails; but because the PLUZ is like Mclean Creek now, there may be quads on a designated trail next to you that are legally allowed in the same area. Doesn't matter in this case that it is hunting season - the quads (if on those designated trails) are allowed in there.

J.
Sorry jcrayford, I realize reading your response I was not clear. There are people not on designated trails, surely that is not allowed? Why would they make it a PLUZ and put up signs along the trails indicating what is allowed ie: quad or 4x4 or bike? There are maps at the kiosk too which show the trails and what is allowed.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Jeremiah Johnson: Wind's right, but he'll just run soon as we step out of these trees.
Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Trick to it. Step out on this side of your horse.
Jeremiah Johnson: What if he sees our feet?
Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Elk don't know how many feet a horse has! No, you durn fool, slide it up over the saddle.