Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2007, 02:51 PM
sheep hunter

Default Gun Seized

Not sure if this is true or not but here is what was sent to me.

Uzi, assault rifles seized in raid

Calgary Herald

Published: Wednesday, April 18, 2007

DRUMHELLER - Police seized 28 guns, including an Uzi and two assault rifles, from a rural home in a predawn raid.

A search warrant was executed by Drumheller RCMP and the emergency response team from Calgary before 5 a.m. Monday at a property south of the hamlet of Craigmyle, said police.

One man was taken into custody without incident.

Police found 28 firearms with ammunition, including an Uzi, two assault rifles, five handguns and 20 long guns.

RCMP have charged William (John) Rew, 50, of Starland County with unlicensed possession of firearms, possession of prohibited devices, two counts of possession of prohibited weapons, unsafe storage of firearms and possession of ammunition with restricted and prohibited firearms.

Rew will appear in provincial court in Drumheller on May 25.

© The Calgary Herald 2007

EVERYONE MUST KNOW

LAST MONDAY, APRIL 16TH, 4 AM, NEAR THE HAMLET OF CRAIGMYLE, SOUTHWEST OF HANNA AB. JOHN REW, AGE 50, WAS AWAKENED TO THE SOUND OF A S.W.A.T. SMOKE GRENADE SMASHING THROUGH HIS BEDROOM WINDOW.

HE WAS THROWN FACEDOWN ON THE FLOOR AND HANDCUFFED INSTANTLY AFTERWARD, AS A SECOND SMOKE GRENADE EXPLODED THROUGH HIS TV STAND IN THE LIVING ROOM, BURNING A HOLE IN THE FLOOR.

THE DRUMHELLER RCMP, CALGARY S.W.A.T., RED DEER S.W.A.T. HAD COME FOR ALL HIS FIREARMS, IN PARTICULAR HIS REGISTERED PROHIBS AND RESTRICTEDS. YES! REGISTERED!

ALTHOUGH THEIR SEARCH WARRANT DID NOT INCLUDE ANY RESIDENCES, JOHN AGREED TO LEAD THEM ACROSS THE FARMYARD TO HIS 80 YEAR OLD MOTHER’S HOUSE. HER BASEMENT CONTAINS JOHN’S STORAGE FACILITY.

JOHN’S MOTHER, BETTY, ALLOWED THEM ENTRY AND WAS DETAINED FOR HER CO-OPERATIVE EFFORTS. THE MASKED, BODY ARMOURED, ASSAULT RIFLE EQUIPPED THUGS GOT WHAT THEY CAME FOR.

JOHN WAS HAULED AWAY, STILL IN HANDCUFFS, JOHN’S ALLEGED CRIME: ALLOWING HIS F.A.C/P.A.L TO EXPIRE, HIS VARIOUS CRIMINAL CHARGES ALL STEM FROM THAT. (ADOLPH WOULD BE PROUD)

2:30 THAT AFTERNOON JOHN WAS RELEASED, PROMISING TO APPEAR IN DRUMHELLER COURT 10AM MAY 25TH, 2007.

THE BROWNSHIRTS SHUT DOWN HIS OILFIELD BUSINESS FOR THE DAY, TURNING HIS 20 EMPLOYEES AWAY AT THE GATE. HIS SISTER WAS NOT ALLOWED ENTRY TO TEND TO BETTY.

IRONICALLY, THE NEXT DAY, APRIL 17TH, OUR GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCED AN EXTENSION OF THE LONG GUN REGISTRY “AMNESTY” FOR ANOTHER YEAR.

WILL THIS HELP JOHN AND HIS FAMILY? WE MUST CONSIDER OURSELVES JOHN’S FIREARMS FAMILY MEMBERS. I STAND UP FOR MY FAMILY, DO YOU? ELECTION TIME IS COMING NOW IS OUR TIME TO BE HEARD. DON’T FALL MUTE NOW. FURTHER INFORMATION WILL FOLLOW FOR THOSE OF US WHO HAVE THE FORTITUDE TO UTILIZE IT.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:34 PM
3 Sheep

Bottom line here............don't break the law and you'll be fine. There's so much more than the crap that you read in the paper. SH you must think that these agencies must have nothing better to do than go after the poor defenceless firearm owner !!!!!! It's not like they have a big dart board to figure who they are going to **** off today. If we checked into this, I'm betting my last dollar that this guy had a stack of firearm offences against him and maybe even domestic violence. GOOD to see this kind of thing happening. Should have happened before Mayerthorpe also. There is NO need for ANYONE to have some of these kinds of firearms. They are not sporting arms. UZI's and the like are made for one thing and one thing only. To be compact and easily concealed and the throw as many bullets down range as possible. They are ONLY made for the purpose of killing people. Just having one so I can take it to the range and shoot one is not enough of a reason to have one. This moron will be sitting at the local bar and after a couple of drinks he will not be able to keep his big mouth shut and starts telling every one about the guns he has. The local SH*T rat listens to this and the next thing you know the guys house gets B&E'ed and all the guns go missing. Then the local cop has to try and deal with the local drug nut having this kind of gun in a vehicle or in a backpack.
Ya but I see your point......................poor gun owner!!!!!!!!!!!
Give me a break. I hope he never gets his guns back and he does time for this. A lesson learned and this should be a wake up call NOT to own these kind of firearms !!!!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:45 PM
sheep hunter

Quote:
SH you must think that these agencies must have nothing better to do than go after the poor defenceless firearm owner !!!!

Not sure who ****ed in your Corn Flakes this morning 3 Sheep....I was just passing along a message that was sent to me today. I didn't add any thoughts as you implied. No doubt there are two sides to every story and this is one of them.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:54 PM
3 Sheep

"WILL THIS HELP JOHN AND HIS FAMILY? WE MUST CONSIDER OURSELVES JOHN’S FIREARMS FAMILY MEMBERS. I STAND UP FOR MY FAMILY, DO YOU? ELECTION TIME IS COMING NOW IS OUR TIME TO BE HEARD. DON’T FALL MUTE NOW. FURTHER INFORMATION WILL FOLLOW FOR THOSE OF US WHO HAVE THE FORTITUDE TO UTILIZE IT".

Sorry there SH. I thought that you added the different font at the end. If not then I add my apologies. It kind of rub's me the wrong way that people try and see the right in this kind of thing and try and stick up for guy's like this. It appeared to me that's what may have been happening here. This John guy is NO family to me even if he was blood. I will never stand up and put my name towards guys like this. IMHO !!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:56 PM
sheep hunter

I was just the messenger!
Old 04-26-2007, 04:19 PM
guns

Default guns

Wow! 3 sheep, you're a little quick on the draw there! You've already got this guy convicted with only a few lines on an internet board.:eek And for good measure let's hang the messenger.:eek

"Just having one so I can take it to the range and shoot one is not enough of a reason to have one. "

I for one am glad you don't decide what is a good reason to have a firearm,,,,,any firearm.
Perhaps you would like to list your firearms and allow some others to decide if you have a good reason to have them. We could start by submitting your list to a group of antis.

From your post I got the impression you are LEO. I certainly hope that is not the case. It would be a shame to waste an attitude like that in law enforcement. There are gov'ts in the world that could use that thinking.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:54 PM
ralfsnart

Default LOL

Quote:
UZI's and the like are made for one thing and one thing only. To be compact and easily concealed and the throw as many bullets down range as possible

You ever try to shove a kolishnikov down your pants?

I can throw as many bullets down range and as fast with my semi auot 308 hunting rifle as you can with an assult rifle. I can also take a legally bought shotgun and cut it down short enough to fit into a mikey pocket of a long coat (not that I do)..just saying.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:09 PM
bearbait

Default Re: LOL

its funny how quick a guy gets hung around here....maybe we could have a weekly hangin:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Old 04-26-2007, 05:14 PM
nafegavas

Default Re: LOL

The UZI could be dewat or semi auto only and with the right paper work is legal to own. Assault rifles? the media will call a 10-22 with a 25rd mag. an "Assault Rifle" More info required on this one. Posted on CGN that his 12 (6) license was expiring and the firearms centre had been calling him to renew or lose it and his legally owned (prohib) firearms. He supposedly told them in no uncertain terms to take a hike and leave him alone, his tone was enough to warrant a tough approach, no more Mayerthorpes please. Time will tell.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Siezed!

Default Siezed!

Yes, but 3 sheep is with the force.. so you're certainly not getting an unbiased opinion here :rolleyes
Old 04-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Scooterj

Default Part of the other half..

I read this story on Gunnutz, and the other side of it was that this gentleman had allowed his restricted and prohibited PAL to expire over a year ago, and after being repeatedly warned and told that if he did not renew it that his weapons would be siezed. He basically said to hell with you all and if anyone comes near my place there will be funerals to follow. So IMHO the cops did everything right, not taking any chances that he would be ready and waiting for them, especially after the loss of 4 of the best at Mayerthorpe. Nowadays the job of Law Enforcement Officer is getting none too easy, and it seems like everyone is out to get them..
My .000002
Old 04-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Canmoron

Default Re: Part of the other half..

As SH said - there's two sides to every story.
If this is correct

"He basically said to hell with you all and if anyone comes near my place there will be funerals to follow "

- then it sheds a whole new light on the situation.

Andrew
Old 04-26-2007, 08:02 PM
osterb

Quote:
GOOD to see this kind of thing happening. Should have happened before Mayerthorpe also. There is NO need for ANYONE to have some of these kinds of firearms. They are not sporting arms. UZI's and the like are made for one thing and one thing only. To be compact and easily concealed and the throw as many bullets down range as possible.
You're a disgrace.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:10 PM
guns

Default guns

"As SH said - there's two sides to every story.
If this is correct

"He basically said to hell with you all and if anyone comes near my place there will be funerals to follow "

- then it sheds a whole new light on the situation."

I agree 100%. Anyone that picks up a firearm to do harm to another for an unlawful reason usually deserves much worse than they get.
I have a great deal of respect for the men in women in law enforcement, military and anyone else who puts themselves in harms way to protect the rest of us. It is a thankless job for the most part performed by very professional people, and I appreciate what they do.

I'm as far from a left leaning liberal snivel liberty type as you can get, but I do not think we should judge anyone without all the facts, and as a gun owner, I'm not ready to surrender my law abiding freedoms on the say so of
someone who doesn't happen to agree with my choice of legal firearms.

Sooner or later the gov't will get around to you.
It starts with firearms and what's next?.....plastic bags and light bulbs?????
Old 04-26-2007, 08:12 PM
sheep hunter

Default Re: guns

I was going to respond to this post but no need to now....redfrog said it well and he said it all.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:13 PM
osterb

Quote:
Bottom line here............don't break the law and you'll be fine.
Obviously you haven't heard about the dirty little raids that turned up nothing.
Remember the hunter that walked by a school and had the swat team take him down at his house?

Quote:
There's so much more than the crap that you read in the paper.
Like the truth.

Quote:
SH you must think that these agencies must have nothing better to do than go after the poor defenceless firearm owner !!!!!!
Apparently they don't. My local PD is far more interested in giving out parking tickets than charging criminals.

Quote:
GOOD to see this kind of thing happening.
Wow. I'm speechless. How fascist

Quote:
There is NO need for ANYONE to have some of these kinds of firearms.
There's no need to own any firearms. Hunting? Pfft, that's what grocery stores are for.

I for one own plenty of them and I couldn't give a rats ass what you think about it. Than heaven you don't write the law because you sir, are an idiot.

Quote:
They are not sporting arms.
What defines a sporting arm exactly?

Quote:
They are ONLY made for the purpose of killing people.
Blah blah blah. Insert rhetoric.

Quote:
Just having one so I can take it to the range and shoot one is not enough of a reason to have one.
But having a gun to shoot defenseless animals is? Listen to yourself. You're a babbling idiot.

Quote:
This moron will be sitting at the local bar and after a couple of drinks he will not be able to keep his big mouth shut and starts telling every one about the guns he has.
Because someone sitting at the bar talking about hunting makes a difference.

Quote:
Then the local cop has to try and deal with the local drug nut having this kind of gun in a vehicle or in a backpack.
As opposed to a sawed off cooey shotgun. It's all the same.

I pray this baboon isn't a LEO...
Old 04-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Grizzly Adams

Sounds to me like they seized some guys collection. There shouldn't be anything with having that many guns for that purpose. They always like to drag out the fact, THIS GUY HAD AN UZI, because it makes him seem particularly dangerous. Note, they didn't bother naming the other two "assault" rifles. Haynes had one of those semi-auto long barreled Uzis in their last sale. Just because of the name, they had a bitch of a time getting it there from Vancouver. It aint guns that are dangerous, just the names.:rollin
Grizz
Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Tree Guy

Default Re: Osterb

Just a dumb question for Osterb.

How hard would it be for a mechanically-inclined person or if not, a gunsmith, to convert a legal UZI semi, into fully-auto? I am asking because I don't know, and, if anyone on this site would know, I'd guess that it's you.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:02 PM
osterb

As for auto in general. Automatic gunfire in war is rarely used and is more for cover fire. Rapid fire semi is more fluently used that auto. You don't hit a damn thing and it's hard on the gun.

Most semis fire from a closed bolt. in order to convert them to auto there are a number if vital parts that need to be different as well as an auto sear.

To be quite honest original UZI's in semi auto were very easy to convert to auto. They work on the slam fire principle similar to the thompson sub machine gun.

The trigger is pullet, the bolt slams forward stripping a cartridge from the mag and firing it once chambered. Recoil sends it back and it trips the sear which resets the trigger. with open bolt semis converting them to auto is as easy as grinding down the sear. No sear and the gun continues to fire until the trigger is released and the bolt's caught.

In the U.S for this reason open bolts are prohitibed from being manufactured and the old ones are deemed and registered as machine guns.

I know some here know of old gervarm .22's that fire from open bolts....the same principle applies to them. Of course if you decide to get out a file you get a decade in club fed.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Tucumseh

I'm not about to say who should or shouldn't own assault rifles. Personally I see no use for them other than what they are intended for. I was dead against the long gun registry and sent many letters to the powers that be saying so.

Sorry, I'm with 3 sheep on this one. I'm not saying the guy should go to jail but I am saying, if he owns assault rifles, they should definitely be registered. Before the gun registry anyone owning a unrestricted weapon had to be in possession of a FAC. Nothing should change in that respect. OMO
Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 PM
osterb

From the sounds of it the guy had it coming. If you openly present yourself as a threat to the police or anyone at that you have it coming.

Quote:
Before the gun registry anyone owning a unrestricted weapon had to be in possession of a FAC. Nothing should change in that respect. OMO
a couple of decades ago "assault rifles" I.E fn fals, ar15's were unrestricted.

How times change :\

I am partial on gun control in general... I have no problem having them registered and making sure they transfer to the right people however you should be able to hunt with them. The problem is if the long gun registry was ever canned and some guns were banned, the outcry wouldn't be very loud.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Tree Guy

So it sounds like the authorities were trying to make an example of this individual in light of Mayerthorpe. Fair enough, that's their perogative. One of the officers that perished there was going to be my in-law, so I am biased.

If, as Osterb has accurately stated, it's sometimes as easy as using a file (generalization, I know) to convert an easily concealiable semi-auto in to a fully auto, I think I have a problem with that.

I'm not saying ban them, not at all. However, would the solution not be to impose harsh, and I mean HARSH sentences upon those who do not STORE AND SECURE their firearms properly? Particularly the restricted ones? I know the regulations are in place regarding storage, but of the millions of guns in this country, what percentage do you think are secured and stored in accordance with the law?

Would this make a good poll question....

"What is more dangerous, improper/inept screening in license applications, or improper/inept securing and storage of firearms?"
Old 04-26-2007, 10:32 PM
kellyandbeth

Quote:
I'm betting my last dollar that this guy had a stack of firearm offences against him and maybe even domestic violence
I knew of a lady who lived with this guy and there was nothing wrong with him. He has never ever been abusive to her or to anyone. He has lynphnoma, and has been very sick in the past. Could be why it expired. He was very very sick for a while. He is a decent guy running a good oilfield business. Ya, he may have had to many guns, but who knows. Maybe the uzi was a collector, maybe it didnt even work. Does every human being keep their guns in a safe?? We have children so we do, but i'm sure people that have children some arnt secured right. Probably the ones where we hear of a kid shot with a .22 in the house. I'm sure there is alot of people out there that dont. He kept them in his mothers basement. Only people who would know about it is family. Unless you know first had, its all hear say. So nobody should judge him for what ever reasons he did what he did, or what ever excuses he had. He is a well known man in the area. Lets all think for awhile before we start judging. Hes not here to say whats true and whats not. Media can twist stuff around very very easy as well.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:34 PM
bearbait

well said!!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Craftyhunter

Default Re: Being Traditional and all

I think I will go with the old adage "Innocent until proven guilty".

Anyone and I mean anyone who doesn't believe that should be on the otherside one day when flat foot smoke bombs your home for big brother.

Fascism is alive and well.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 AM
209x50cal

Quote:
I'm not saying ban them, not at all. However, would the solution not be to impose harsh, and I mean HARSH sentences upon those who do not STORE AND SECURE their firearms properly? Particularly the restricted ones? I know the regulations are in place regarding storage, but of the millions of guns in this country, what percentage do you think are secured and stored in accordance with the law?
Laws dictating how you store your guns are stupid in my opinion. I mean what purpose do they serve? Why should I have to go through the expense and hassle just so that it is more difficult for some one breaking the law by B&E my house to get at my guns? This is another example of making laws for people who obey laws and not targeting the true problem - the criminals. The cons aren't following the laws so lets hassle the people that do. How does this make the world safer when we have already admitted that the law can't do anything to stop people from looting your house? Just my opinion.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:50 AM
nafegavas

Bang on 209x50, but what you are suggesting would require a complete overhaul of the legal system to give us one that makes people responsible for their criminal behaviour. These days we try to find excuses why "Little Billy" breaks the law, whose fault is it? he's a good boy after all.
Today's legal system is all about feeding those involved with as much tax-money as possible, from public defenders to counsellors etc. Whether you talk criminal law or family law, it's a racket. We've had mandatory sentencing for firearms offences for decades, yet these are the first things plea-bargained away at trial. Harsh sentencing works but the lawyers will starve.
All this talk about converting semi-autos to rock n' roll, anyone who ever took a little metal shop in school should be able to build a sten out of a cooey single shot, too easy.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:27 AM
packhuntr

Default Re:confiscation.

Confiscation started immediatly after they implemented this registry. All pistols under such and such length. Its not looking real good for us, you guys keep saying, oooh, poor law enforcement, such a bad job, lets support their push to confiscate more PRIVATE PROPERTY, that is OWNED by, LAW ABIDING citizens of Canada. I have jumped through their hoops to enjoy what it is that i love. But much more of this crap, and i will be saying the same thing to them. Come try boys, educations come free around here. To stand behind this crap they pulled is much the same as standing behind a theif. By the way fellas, was this card of theirs not supposed to be a one time only thing, suppose it only stands to reason, duped again. Not for much longer I hope.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:54 AM
ThePaleRider

Default 3 Sheep with friends like you who needs enemies?

First off 3 Sheep, in my opinion it is people like you who don't deserve to own firearms. Secondly, all firearms were made for one purpose and one purpose only, regardless of how many bullets they will fire. How long will it be before "they" reclassify your deer rifle to a bolt action sniper rifle? And then what do any of us need with a sniper rifle? Nope the anti's don't just want certain types of guns banned, they want them all! So we are all in this thing together, regardless of what we enjoy shooting!

Now then, if this individual did indeed let his pal lapse and make statements against the police, then by all means, he should have been punished. I dislike the laws we have, but until something better comes along I will comply with them 100%. Would I like to have any of the 12.X status, you bet! At the end of the day, it is all about enjoyment of shooting, being safe, and introducing the young people to the sport.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:56 AM
cobra64

Default Re: 3 Sheep with friends like you who needs enemies?

'So it sounds like the authorities were trying to make an example of this individual in light of Mayerthorpe. "

yup....lets see. guy who lives out in the countryside...has lots of guns he shouldn't have. Do we know his background ie previous run ins with the law? If he did, ya I can see why the police wouldn't be kidding around with this.

IMO this guy was probably like ah those commies i'm not gonna bother with all their BS paperwork anymore, and that turned out great for him no! instead of going through the gun registration paperwork which is really just a big hassle, he now faces an even larger stack of governemtn paperwork...his criminal chargers, lawyers involved etc etc. ya, that worked out real great for him