Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-27-2013, 09:06 AM

Default i agree

There a fun gun my Freind had one. I tried his then bought one my self .if u go to stettler any they sell them for 180
Old 01-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Banned

An interesting little fact that I found out with my Chinese SKS, and I'm not at all suggesting that what has been posted in regards to cleaning after firing military FMJ is false, this is simply "my" personal experience:

I had fired some corrosive primed ammo but waited a couple of days before cleaning due to time constraints. No corrosion. Next time, again due to timing, it was a week, still no corrosion. As of late, it has been two weeks as I wasn't concerned due to previous experiences, still no corrosion, not in the barrel, not on the gas piston or tube. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I treat the affected parts with G96 on re-assembly. Again, not suggesting that they not be cleaned, simply reporting my personal findings. I should add that mine is stored in a dry environment.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 AM

How difficult are they to clean? I seen one with red and yellow laminate stocks for $120 used
Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger1 View Post
i find the $140 is almost worth it just for the fun of seeing how fast i can completely disassemble and reassemble the whole thing, the only tool needed being a bullet.
? Lol ?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 PM

Default just buy one

they have gotta be the most fun a Canadian can have with a "military automatic". one note about cleaning: I just tore mine down after 2 weeks or so of shooting at paper and coyotes, and where mine likes to rust is right in the middle of the gas tube. so be aware when shooting corrosive surplus. but: 4" groups at 100, goes bang everytime.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 PM

Default Just noticed this thread was started 3 years ago

this one has suffered long enough. let it die.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 PM

If you the spare cash pickup a cz-858. Elegant design for internals, and really accurate.

The Russian sks is a great value and you can shoot cheaply all day long with surplus ammo. don't expect accuracy with surplus ammo though. Try to find non corrosive ammo.

Tear it down and clean everything after shooting including gas system just in case. It's not that hard and you'll get faster at it.

A fun gun all around.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Weatherbyguy

I know there annoying as hell at gun range flinging shells everywhere it sucks shooting at the range when ppl are shooting them
Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
An interesting little fact that I found out with my Chinese SKS, and I'm not at all suggesting that what has been posted in regards to cleaning after firing military FMJ is false, this is simply "my" personal experience:

I had fired some corrosive primed ammo but waited a couple of days before cleaning due to time constraints. No corrosion. Next time, again due to timing, it was a week, still no corrosion. As of late, it has been two weeks as I wasn't concerned due to previous experiences, still no corrosion, not in the barrel, not on the gas piston or tube. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I treat the affected parts with G96 on re-assembly. Again, not suggesting that they not be cleaned, simply reporting my personal findings. I should add that mine is stored in a dry environment.
Chinese Military PLA SKS rifles have chrome lined bores, plus, Alberta Winters are notoriously dry.

Post 1951 dated Russian SKS rifles will have chrome lined bores as well. Some Pre '51 Rusky SKS rifles may have had the original non chrome lined barrels replaced with chrome lined ones when they were refurbished. The chamber however on the Chinese and Russian SKS rifles are NOT chrome lined.

The salts that are deposited in the barrel, bolt face, gas tub/piston, and chamber will only start to rust if they are able to attract moisture. If you have them stored in a dry environment, and you do not let them get extremely cold, and then warm up, they shouldn't sweat either, thus, no moisture build up or rust. The G96, or other gun oil can protect the steel from moisture for a certain amount of time before it runs off, dries out, etc, and then the moisture will find it's way in.

They are some of the most simple rifles to strip and clean. Not as quick as a bolt action K98, but.... Keep 'em clean!!
My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
How difficult are they to clean? I seen one with red and yellow laminate stocks for $120 used
They are very easy to keep clean. I can strip one with my eyes closed, and I have only cleaned my SKS rifles maybe a half dozen times.

$120 is a fantastic price for a used rifle, I'd jump on it if I were you (as long as it isn't rusted to bits or have missing or broken parts).

We are definitely seeing the last of the SKS imports for a while now, many dealers are sold out already. Hopefully more shipments will come.

Take it apart with a cartridge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZERFoz06wDQ

Cleaning after surplus ammo and serious neglect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AyRX58ZHGg
My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:56 PM

Default For scope use side mount

Dont use the over the receiver type. Side mounts work well but get them installed using the right tools. Not a BnD drill and a vice. The Choate side mount works well. I can strip the rifle down without taking the scope or mount off. Skinny fingers help.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 PM

anywhere in calgary have sks in stock right now?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:55 PM

Default SKS at cabelas

Boxing day sale in Edmonton the Russian one 160
Old 12-28-2014, 01:05 PM

If you do get one pick up your brass. Or at least what you can find. Starting to hate SKS's for that fact that too many idiots have them. Only ever seen a few guys actually try and use the sights. I would rather have an accurate air riffle.