Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-22-2014, 04:04 PM

The XCR was never designed, advertised or promoted to be a Sub MOA firearm. The XCR has good ergonomics, easy caliber changes, reliable and runs very clean. Decent enough trigger for fast follow up shots.
You can get lightweight or heavy barrels (crome lined), sadly no match barrel yet. Can switch the flash hider to any brake you feel like using, or leave the factory A2 on it.
Get a stock adapter and run any AR stock on the market. Takes Lar 15 mags. Easy to use, disassemble and clean, needs very little lube and its Not Restricted.
After 20,000 rnds down mine, the bolt catch is getting a bit weak, so I ordered the repair kit from Wolverine.
After many reloads, load development, I found a load that would shoot 1.5moa All day long ( challenge on this site ) since then it hasn't been back to the range, but has shot many gophers and Coyotes…. from every hunting position imaginable, without the benefit of using my most accurate load ( barnes VG's are too expensive when going through 1000's of rnds) Been using bulk Hornady SP 1.5" to 2.5" MOA
While MOA is nice and achievable, it is not necessary for hunting or plinking as the biggest variable is the shooter, field conditions, rest...if any, Ammo, then rifle. Not to many hunters hunt from a Cement bench And many a coyote has been downed with a worn out 303 that shoots 2-10 MOA
If you want a sling for it, get A padded 2 point Vickers. Do a little research on its use and you will stop worrying about how front heavy the rifle is; and can be fired, with the sling on, from any field position.
While a bench is nice for load development or competition, or ringing gongs, once learn you use your rifle in the conditions you hunt in, worrying about that extra 1 MOA of difference in the rifle/ammo seems to disappear.
Good luck, keep your powder dry.
SW.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Out of all my rifles I like the XCR L the least, it's heavy, only shoots if you feed it a premium diet, occasionally get FTE. It is piston driven so it does stay cleaner than my AR but for what you pay for these rifles I think they are a disappointment.
FTE are usually caused from not enough gas, adjust your gas setting, empty brass should eject 10-15 feet forward around the 2 O'clock position, if you would rather it eject rearward, to the 4 o'clock position, switch your 223 brass deflector out for the 7.62x39 brass deflector. After the first 200rnds down mine on setting 2, the adjustment hasn't left the #1 setting unless it needs to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjump View Post
Gotta just say that I love my XCR-L. Was running PMC Bronze 55 Grs. .223's through it with no problem at all. Barely had to clean it even, went through 2000 rounds with no problem.
Switched to MFS .223 Rem SP 62 gr rounds with the soft lead head, and my beloved XCR-L jammed after 100 rounds of this **** ammo. Would not fire after round was cleared until I cleaned the whole gun with frog lube.
Bottom line, you are right when you say this gun will not eat cheap ammo. Stick with pure bronze and youll be fine. But as stated, that does get expensive.
Frog lube is no good in semi autos, it collects dust, powder residue, sand, brass or lacquer and can get abrasive. G-96 and very little of it, on your bolt/carrier only, keep your trigger group, barrel, gas system dry. Mine eats anything, but shooting steel cased lacquer coated ammo does leave a lot of crud in the chamber and trigger group.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:26 PM

I really don't get the hype around this rifle.
Some TAVOR are unrestricted, same price tag and nobody complains about them.

What are the key features of this rifle that make people buying it?
Old 06-22-2014, 09:11 PM

Some people don't like bullpup style guns, I find them awkward. This is not to say that they are inferior I just don't like them.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
Some people don't like bullpup style guns, I find them awkward. This is not to say that they are inferior I just don't like them.
I can't stand them either. I prefer the ACR with an 18.5" barrel.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I can't stand them either. I prefer the ACR with an 18.5" barrel.
Well who can not love a Bushmaster, apart from the price tag
Old 06-22-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Well who can not love a Bushmaster, apart from the price tag
I paid $2000 for my ACR but a premium barrel and trigger added over $1000 to the price.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:00 PM

H all you guys with the crappy rifles, I would give you $500 for one of them
Old 06-27-2014, 11:05 PM

1-9 twist 223 barrel loaded with 40gr V-Max + H322 powder = 3400fps

I average 1 1/2" 10 shot groups at 100 yards with this load this is shooting as fast as I can aim/fire.

Works on coyotes...

and when I pop my 6.8SPC upper on with my AA2200 powder and 95gr TTSX loads I have a 300 yard deer combo.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:32 PM

Nice shooting camp cook
Old 06-28-2014, 12:49 PM

I have to say I do have an issue with my XCR-L that drives me Nutz...

I have 10 round pistol mags for both the 223 and 6.8SPC uppers with one in the chamber I have 11 rounds at my disposal and another 10 - 40 more rounds in spare mags.

Here is my issue I only ever have to take one shot my XCR-L is so accurate with my loads that I kill everything with only one shot who would have ever thought...

Here I am ready to take on anything with this fast/accurate handling rifle and all I ever get or need is a single shot that's why my other favorite rifles are T/C Contender carbine single shots.

Ok I'll be honest the top coyote in the pic above twitched so I shot it a second time...
Old 06-28-2014, 10:12 PM

The Robinson Arms guns are OK, in my opinion. Not great and as was mentioned were never advertised as a sub MOA gun.

They are not worth $2500 except for the fact they are un-restricted. That is what you are paying for. They can not and do not hold a candle to a comparably priced AR, but the AR is restricted.

So, you pay your money, you take it into the field and enjoy it's un-restricted classification.

I can still remember when we could legally take our converted autos out hunting. Have taken many deer in years gone by with FN FALs, G3's and AK's.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:27 AM

Default Xcr-l.223

To wally338. It had nothing to do with adjusting the gas system bro. Its just that the soft lead heads of the cheap MFS .223 Rem SP 62gr ammo were leaving very fine shavings all over the inside of my XCR-L.
From the barrel to the back chamber above the tigger. Opened the gun up once it started jamming and it was a mess. Had to clean whole gun twice, top to bottom with frog lube at home before it would work. This cheap @ss ammo should not be used period. PMC Bronze or Winchester .223 rem 55 gr full metal jackets are the bomb. And are actually reasonably priced at wal-mart.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:04 PM

Nice shooting Camp cook! I may have to try using the 40gr vmax again because honestly my velocities are lacking I had terrible luck with those on coyotes a few years ago in my Savage. Didn't seem to have the knockdown power at 400 yards that I was hoping. How many grains of H322 are you using for that load and what is your OAL?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:06 PM

What scopes and mounts are people "actually" using on " this " gun? I just purchased one a week ago and looking for some optic ideas . Also just received my Beowulf mags today
Old 06-30-2014, 07:29 PM

I have a cheap Vortex red dot on mine. I was planning on buying the 7.62 base for my 3.4x Elcan till I realized this gun is not a keeper.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:40 PM

Also . The lar 15 and Beowulf mags still legal to use? I read and read the magazine capacity law and I know it was legal before and the lar 15 is still but i want to make sure I'm fine using the Beowulf mags
Old 07-01-2014, 09:10 AM

Yes LAR 15 and .50 Beowulf mags are legal. Many of us use them. Just like putting 9mm in a mag designed to hold .40sw. So I can legally hold more
Old 07-01-2014, 09:10 AM

If I remember correctly OAL = 2.28" with 25.5grs H322 I used LAR15 mags

I like to see bang flops when I shoot coyotes = if I can help it I do not shoot these loads or any 223 load beyond 150 yards why I have both electronic and mouth callers the fun is getting the coyotes in closer.

As far as I am concerned if my set up is for shooting longer distances I will grab a more appropriate cartridge like my 22-250 or 6mm-284.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonerkiller View Post
I shoot the cheap bulk ammo that is 55gr and it shoots sub MOA, fun gun to shoot but a little heavy for packing around calling coyotes. But a good alternative to the R-15 for sure.
Same here. Ive fed my XCR probably about 800 rounds of the norinco stuff and compared to my reloaded hunting rounds, theyre just as good. My hunting rounds have taken a while to get the right recipe but its super tight groups at 250yds. Changed to the M4 style stock and its even better!
Old 12-06-2014, 06:09 PM

After considerable frustration I found the issue with my XCR. It seems the barrel retaining nut had worked itself loose, I tightened it and I am now very happy with the gun.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:51 PM

Wally are you talking the 1/4" Allen bolt that holds the barrel on?
Old 12-06-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Wally are you talking the 1/4" Allen bolt that holds the barrel on?
Yes,that and the gas block worked themselves loose. I should have said retaining bolt instead of retaining nut.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:21 AM

Fairly common problem, the bolt coming loose. A bit of thread lock helps.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:24 AM

not really.. But i am planning to buy why please do share your experience if its worth money or not!
Old 01-14-2015, 05:29 AM

This gun is chambered in 5.56 NATO correct?

Then it would be safe to run 5.56 army surplus and .223 hunting loads correct?
Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 AM

yes

or you can load 5.56 hunting loads

Dec 28/14 I got out for the morning.

60gr VMax 120 yard coyote = bang flop

60gr VMax 180 yard coyote = bang flop and me thinking shoot it again its beyond my 150 yard rule it got up and made it into a deep hole that I wasn't going down into to take a pic. Got two more shots off as it was running = fun.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Just wondering if any of you have any experience with the XCR-L. I bought one thinking it might be a good alternative to an AR for a non restricted semi auto coyote gun. I mounted a 3-9x40 Leupold on it and sighted it in for a 200 yd zero. I was shooting federal premium 55 gr. Ammo and I'm sure my 12 gauge could probably shoot a better group. One thing I can say is it sure is consistent. I shot 5 five shot groups, all were in that 61/2"-71/4" range. My AR with the same ammo will easily do 21/2" groups at 200. I will be taking it back today.
ADJUST YOUR ADJUSTABLE GAS BLOCK TURN IT DOWN UNTIL SHELLS ARENT FLYING ACROSS THE FIELD. it will help close up groups. read your manual. thanks.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
I shoot an easy 1 inch group @ 50 yards with norinco and American eagle using an eotech holo sight. About a 2-3 inch group at 100 - again with a holosight. for a plinker, gopher gun and coyote hunter shes just fine. if I wanted precision I would use a bolt action. for a non restricted black gun in 5.56, the XCR cannot be beat (I have never shot a Tavor though...)

My Bushmaster ACR beats every XCR I've shot against. Loves everything I throw at it, 1 in 7 shoots 55 G's no problem. It is my all time favorite firearm. A little on the heavy side but she is accurate!
Old 12-11-2016, 08:35 AM

I traded smokinyotes for his xcr last winter (the gun that started this thread). This was the extent of my load development, these were shot at 100 meters, sitting in knee high snow shooting off a bipod. I still haven't shot this at the range so I'm not sure what it's really capable of but it's killed everything I've pointed it at. In the end I chose 50 grain Vmax and BLC-2 powder. I can't say a bad thing about the rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk