Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2019, 06:30 AM

Default New fly rod

Lost my fly rod so looking to get a new one. Don't use it much any more so don't want to spend a pile. Any recommendations on a rig for under $500? I seen that temple forks has a sale on professional 2 series rod and NV reel for $400. Anybody have any experience with those rods?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyjim View Post
Lost my fly rod so looking to get a new one. Don't use it much any more so don't want to spend a pile. Any recommendations on a rig for under $500? I seen that temple forks has a sale on professional 2 series rod and NV reel for $400. Anybody have any experience with those rods?

You're on the right track. TF were my first rods and even though I've spent more money on others since I don't notice much of a difference. I actually have more confidence in the TF when I'm bushwacking into tough areas. Buy with confidence.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyjim View Post

have a Professional II 8'5" 4 weight. Decent rod for the money, it's not a fast action rod, rather limber bends full length. I use it mostly for dry fly fishing trout in creeks and medium sized rivers. A decent inexpensive rod for general use would be the Fenwick AETOS, not the greatest hardware or prettiest rod, but a great general purpose rod that won't break the bank. Every time I see them in a store I pick them up and play with them, am tempted to get one for a spare. Have rods that cost more but the Aetos has a nice medium fast action, casts a line as good or better than some higher priced rods.

A few fly rod comparisons here:

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...ton-air-sage-x
Old 07-06-2019, 09:44 AM

I don’t have enough experience handling a bunch of different fly rods yet. But I just picked up a Fenwick Aetos 6 wt. to replace my TFO NXT 5/6 wt (that entry level package). After a couple outings I really like it.

Also have a TFO Finesse Series 4 wt. I have tried a few friends 4 wts (Redington, St. Croix) and prefer mine for sure.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:01 AM

I've been using a 5 wt Professional as my main trout rod for 10 years and have been very happy with it. I've never found a reason to upgrade to anything else. It certainly has the backbone to deal with the fall winds in the Oldman - Livingstone area. It can also handle reasonable size streamers on the Bow on occasion. I've also been using a 7 wt Professional for 8 years for stillwater trout fishing in the Manitoba Parkland and last winter I picked up a slightly used 6wt Professional II as a second rod for stillwater fishing.

Being able to get replacement rod sections right in Calgary is big plus as well. And yes I have 1st hand experience with the replacement service - both involved operator error! I don't have any experience with TFO reels. Bass Pro used to offer good rod-reel-line packages for the TFO Professionals - I bought my 5 wt and 7 wt that way.

Here's a decent review
https://patagoniaflyfisherman.com/tf...fly-rod-review

There's also a fairly long winded review on YouTube.

Ken
Old 07-06-2019, 08:28 PM

I own a 9’ 6wt TFO Pro II and it’s great. From what I can compare it to, there isn’t a better “bang for your buck” rod out there. I bushwhack a ton, it stays in the work truck (in a case) and gets banged around, I’ve walked into trees with it, folded it over hitting the bank while it was in a rod holder in a boat going down a fast river.

In general, I’m hard on gear and this has stood the test. And if it ever does break I believe there’s a $30 no questions asked repair deal they offer. This rod also gets used for everything. Dries to big articulated and weighted streamers. One day I’ll buy a $700-$1000 rod but will have a tough time setting aside the one that did it all and stood up through the abuse.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:49 AM
Banned

You get what you pay for...
Old 07-06-2019, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the advice guys

Old 07-08-2019, 01:39 PM

someone found a rod/reel on the fly fusion forum, could be yours?
Old 07-18-2019, 02:31 PM

Take a look at Moonshine rods. Very nice looking rods, beautiful to cast and a nice price point. Come with a lifetime warranty and two tip sections.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:00 PM

I would buy used if that is your budget. Can get a few year old high end rod for under 500. Like someone said before you get what you pay for. That’s is very true for fly rods.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:16 PM

You don't need a high end rod to learn and enjoy fly fishing. Years ago I had some cheapo glass rods and caught as many trout as today with some fancy Sages, Winstons, and Hardys.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
You don't need a high end rod to learn and enjoy fly fishing. Years ago I had some cheapo glass rods and caught as many trout as today with some fancy Sages, Winstons, and Hardys.
Very true, most of us can't cast well enough to use the potential of the high dollar rods anyway.