Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-10-2010, 11:44 AM

Default Stuck choke

I have just purchesed a stoeger model 2000 shotgun and the choke is stuck in the gun. I was aware of this when bought the gun but for price i couldn't go wrong. Just wanting to know if anybody has any ideas as to how i might get it out.

thanks for the help cameron.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 AM

did you buy it new if you did maybe try calling stoger and see what they recommend or maybe it can be fixed under warranty.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:36 AM

There is a product called 'screwloose' It is an AWESOME penetrating lubricant aerosol dispersed.

I would try that, let it sit for 10 minutes and try to get the choke out using the choke wrench.

Failing that, use a small hammer and 'tap' the choke wrench while turning. Sometimes it requires a little impact and turning force to break it free, you will need a way to safely clamp or hold the barrel if you do this.

Lastly, use method #2 and gently use a heat gun to warm up the barrel and tap and turn on the choke wrench.

Those are relatively safe methods. Otherwise take the firearm to a gunsmith.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:34 PM

Default stuck choke tube

I had the same problem when I bought my Stoeger 2000 on this forum.....
man, that sucks.....seller never mentioned about that problem....

the problem is that Stoeger choke tubes are too soft ((((

I finally got the tube out and replaced all chokeswith Beretta/Benelly ones

remove the barrel, place it in th freezer for 2-3 houres. After that install your chike wrench in good wise and try to turn barrel....I got the choke tube damaged completely, but the brrel was fine.........and use a lot of WD-40 or any other good penetrating liquid.....

hope you will turn out right for you.......
Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 PM

Find a pill bottle the barrel will fit in. Fill it about 1/2 full of Kroil, and soak the choke and barrel in it overnight. The one on my 20 gauge screwed right out no damage to anything. It would probably work with any good penetrating oil, I just happened to have some kroil in the garage.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 PM

Default kroil

x2 on the Kroil. It beats the heck out of wd-40.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:16 PM

I bought a stoeger 2000 in the same predicament...

Ron at the tackle shop heated it and drilled it out and torqued the hell out of it.

It worked fine after that..well, the choke did. The shotguns in my oppinion are junk!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:12 PM

I did have a Stoeger Condor and managed to get a modified choke tube stuck as well. It was an external choke with the knurled ends so I took a pipe wrench to it and persuaded it to come out. I then replaced it with the short modified tube and managed to get that one stuck as well. The Stoeger chokes I had were very thin and very short. I ended up trading the gun for my share of gas one season and apparently it still sees some field time as a fixed choke Mod/IC pheasant gun.

Gradual choke constriction seems to be worthwhile as the Optima plus chokes on my Beretta are about three times as long as the Stoeger chokes. That combined with harder metal makes for less headaches. If you can get longer aftermarket chokes, that might prevent any more stubborn tubes.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
It was an external choke with the knurled ends so I took a pipe wrench to it and persuaded it to come out. .
LOL I like that word... "persuaded". I can imagine you letting loose some choice language while whalling away on it.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:53 PM

Oko, I can swear in three different languages. Five, if I've been drinking.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:42 PM

thanks guys i will give it a try this weekend if i'm not out in the feild seeding.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 PM

Loctite has some stuff call freeze and release http://www.henkelna.com/industrial/l...lease-7008.htm it works great. I have used it on stainless and aluminum. Just make sure you use LOTS. Don't be shy about using it. The more you use the colder it is.

Good luck.

Tags
choke, stuck