Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-08-2010, 06:50 AM

Default Pump Waterfoul Guns

Im looking at buying a pump action shotgun that has a 28 or 30 inch barrel that will take choke tubes. Im hoping to get that in new gun with some nice camo. My price range is under 1000. Any ideas?

I have considered the stoeger p-350 but ppl have been telling my the camo flakes off and the internal mechanicals are weak break and jam frequently. So im kinda back to square one. Ive thought about buying a barrel for my mossberg 500 but im not sure if i should since about 1 in 50 shells ( with light weight shells ) when i work the pump it ejects both the spent abd loaded shell. Id kinda like something more consistant.

When shooting steel how big a problem is barrel pitting is one company making better barrel to wart against this?
Old 05-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Banned

Default any

For under 1000 you can get lots of decent pump guns. Browning BPS, Benelli Nova, and of course the Remington 870.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...12&type_id=257

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...12&type_id=243

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/b..._nova_pump.php

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...waterfowl.aspx

Good luck. Let us know what ya get.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:57 AM

For less than 1k you can get a full camo Mossberg 835 pump and never look back, you are already familiar with the Mossberg so why not?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:55 AM

If you're willign tto spend that much the Benellie SuperNova is the best pump in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:27 AM

Remington WINGMASTER not junk express , equipped with rem chokes and you will have the best shotgun period! The BPS and Nova are also two fine firearms, but IMHO the Wingmaster will always be the best! I have a BPS that was junk (for me) and shoulderd a few Novas that felt like a 2x4............shoulder them all and see for yourself.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
For less than 1k you can get a full camo Mossberg 835 pump and never look back, you are already familiar with the Mossberg so why not?
You're already familiar with the Mossberg problems so why would you?

Like others have said, for a grand you can get a really nice gun. I'd be checking out the Wingmasters as a starting point if you're really sure you want a pump. I'd be looking at autos if I were you, for $1K you can find a nice used one.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerSlayer1 View Post
You're already familiar with the Mossberg problems so why would you?

Like others have said, for a grand you can get a really nice gun. I'd be checking out the Wingmasters as a starting point if you're really sure you want a pump. I'd be looking at autos if I were you, for $1K you can find a nice used one.
Please explain to me what you mean, the Mossberg's are decent shotguns-I'm an 870 guy myself-what issues are you refering to?
Old 05-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Banned

I bought remingtons new 887 Nitro Mag Waterfowl. Its full camo with a camo synthetic barrel coating. Threaded for choke tubes. Shoots up to 3 1/2mag shells. To me its very easy gun to shoulder. Im no shotgun expert as I just got into it but this one has worked flawlessly for a couple hundred shots so far and with a rookie operating it. I beleive the price worked out to be right around $600.
SG
Old 05-08-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Please explain to me what you mean, the Mossberg's are decent shotguns-I'm an 870 guy myself-what issues are you refering to?
My brother and I have both shot Mossburgs pumps for many years, in fact I have two of them. In addition I own a Remington Wingmaster, Remington 870 Express, CIL pump, and a Browning Auto 5. The Mossburgs are the worst guns I own in terms of jamming and ease of operation, I do like the top safety though. The Browning Auto 5 is my favourite.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
I bought remingtons new 887 Nitro Mag Waterfowl. Its full camo with a camo synthetic barrel coating. Threaded for choke tubes. Shoots up to 3 1/2mag shells. To me its very easy gun to shoulder. Im no shotgun expert as I just got into it but this one has worked flawlessly for a couple hundred shots so far and with a rookie operating it. I beleive the price worked out to be right around $600.
SG
X2 on the 887. I have one that I shoot Hevi-Shot loads for coyotes with and it has been awesome for me. The all black model cost me $500 from cabelas in winnipeg. Again like sheephunter said, I'm no expert, the only other shotgun I have is a mossberg 500 with an adjustable stock for a camp gun.

I love it though, the coating truly is like armor, it's super tough.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:22 PM

I have a Mossberg 535 tactical turkey with adjustable stock, had to get chokes seperatly, but i also bought a rifled barrell and i now have a complete multi purpose weapon. Never had an issue with it and i'm quite happy with it.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:25 PM

Are you a member of Sherwood park fish and game's range? If so I'll let you shoot the Benelli SuperNova. It's a beautiful gun, you'll never go back to mossberg. I never will. I shoot cases (and cases) of the cheapest 2 3/4 - 7 1/2 shot I can find through the thing and I've only had 1 minor jam, I just hooked my finger in the end of the spent shell and popped it out of the action.

The recoil is also less then my 20 guage with that ComforTech stock.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:59 PM

I own a rem 870 and couldn't be happier with it. Very durable gun and very easy to clean. Never had it jam on me once. I've even dropped it in the swamp, cleaned it off in the canoe and shot with it the whole day without a problem. There is a reason that tactical teams use the 870!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Default 870

Buy an 870 and save the other $600 up for a Browning maxus!
Old 05-09-2010, 12:12 AM

Look at past history. You can't go worng with an 870.
It's the number one all time selling pump action shotgun.
There will not be another pump action shotgun to out sell or stand up to a 870 in my life time.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 05-09-2010, 05:37 AM

I have an 870 super mag that I bought from a buddy a few years ago. This buddy is an absolute waterfowl junkie!! I would conservatively estimate that this 870 has seen 10,000 rounds of 3 1/2" water fowl loads in its life. This same buddy is a strong believer in not maintaining a firearm in any way(I call it lazy). I have done a little maintenance and replaced a couple worn parts, but otherwise, this 870 works flawlessly!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 05-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Banned

The best and most popular pump shotgun is the Remington 870 Wingmaster. It has proven itself over decades of reliability. My personal favorate is the model 37Ithaca.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:27 AM

I own about 15 pump shotguns, them majority of them being 870's - either Wingmasters or Express models.
The smoothest cycling shotgun I have ever shot was an old M31 Remington, but the Wingmaster is close to it.
I don't shoot the big guns anymore, but when I did I shot a M12 and the one I shot has untold amount of rounds through it.
My son's Wingmaster was built by my older brother more than 40 years ago, and has never broken , even though it was shot regularly for most of that time
When he started duck hunting, my son naturally went to the Express.

Cat
Old 05-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned

Smile

The smoothest cycling shotgun I have ever shot was an old M31 Remington, but the Wingmaster is close to it.
I don't shoot the big guns anymore, but when I did I shot a M12 and the one I shot has untold amount of rounds through it.

Cat[/QUOTE]

Cat:
Which pump did you think cycled rounds the fastest? The model 31 or the Model 12.
This question used to be a really hot topic on U.S. shotgun threads.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:16 PM

Kind of suprised no has mentioned the Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight.

I own two of these as well as the Remington870,the 37 is a nicer gun to swing,it has a much nicer point of balance.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post

Cat
Cat:
Which pump did you think cycled rounds the fastest? The model 31 or the Model 12.
This question used to be a really hot topic on U.S. shotgun threads.[/QUOTE]

M31, but the difference was VERY little!
Cat
Old 05-10-2010, 12:30 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
If you're willign tto spend that much the Benellie SuperNova is the best pump in my opinion.
Absolutely! I couldn't agree more.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleh01 View Post
Again like sheephunter said...
I think you mean Sheepguide. Do NOT get those two confused!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:09 AM

Thanks for the advice i ended up buying a new 870 express Super mag waterfoul gun and took it out today shot target load and slugs and 6 shot it was great borrowed choke tubes tho need my own!