Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-29-2018, 07:51 AM

Default Which 700 trigger for a hunting rifle?

Hey everyone, who has replaced there stock 700 triggers and with what? How do you like it? There’s a few different makes out there, but I have 7 700’s and 1 is a target rifle. I’d like the triggers to all be the same in the hunting rifles, same pull weight too.

I was looking at Rifle Basix, Timney, Shillen, Jewell. They’re kinda priced within the same ball park. For my target rifle I’ll probably get the same one or a bit better of a trigger. I was looking at my friends rifle and he got a trigger installed on it, I can’t remeber the make but it wasnt curved, it was strait. I liked that triggers look but that’s not the deciding factor. What do you outdoorsmen recommend? Thanks.

Redneck.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:03 AM

https://triggertech.ca/
Canadian make
Old 10-29-2018, 09:46 AM

Timney if you want a really good trigger and Jewell if you want a great trigger. Have both on 2 different rifles. Everyone that has shot them both prefer the Jewell over the timney. The timney is more cost effective and will work just fine for hunting and range work.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:51 AM

I'd go with a Shilen
Old 10-29-2018, 10:03 AM

I have used both Jewell and Timney on hunting rigs and prefer the Timney because the “blade” is much wider which gives a bit more “feel”.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:07 AM

My friend has the trigger tech 1.5-4 which is perfect. But keep the suggestions and experiences posted.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Ever View Post
I like the Canadian made part. I’ll look into them
Old 10-29-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I have used both Jewell and Timney on hunting rigs and prefer the Timney because the “blade” is much wider which gives a bit more “feel”.
I seen that when I quickly looked at timneys last night and kinda like that.

You mostly hear about Timney for the longest time and I never put no thought into after market triggers till now. Mostly because Ive worked on every other part of the rifle so.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:33 AM

I put a Jewel on my 700 mountain. It was pretty light out of the box, so I installed the heaviest spring that come with it and gave. It alittle more sear engagement.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
X2
Old 10-29-2018, 11:07 AM

I’ve had no regrets with Shilen.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:19 AM

Strange coincidence on timing on this thread, I ordered a Triggertech last nite for the one Remington 700 I have left here.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:23 AM

I won’t tell you what to use but if you do reasearch on the different trigger manufacturers you will make the right decision. Btw after I went through the research it was Triggertech all the way!!
Old 10-29-2018, 11:30 AM

I have used Jewel, Timney and Shilen. For target work, I prefer Jewel, for hunting use , where dust and moisture are a factor, Timney may be more tolerant of contamination.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:16 PM

I just need to research more reviews and get the opinions of you fine gentlemen and woman on here. All the the write ups the companies have are pretty generic besides materials, finish’s, pull weight ranges and Black options.

I’ve been noticing triggers without a safety or the safety’s are removable, would those be used for bench shooting rifles? Single shot bolt actions, don’t need a safety on them I figure because single loading a round will always get shot. Am I right?

Plus when I’m shooting my target rifle, I open and close the bold basically for my safety, bolts open and empty if I’m down range or closed when I’m firing.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Hey everyone, who has replaced there stock 700 triggers and with what? How do you like it? There’s a few different makes out there, but I have 7 700’s and 1 is a target rifle. I’d like the triggers to all be the same in the hunting rifles, same pull weight too.

I was looking at Rifle Basix, Timney, Shillen, Jewell. They’re kinda priced within the same ball park. For my target rifle I’ll probably get the same one or a bit better of a trigger. I was looking at my friends rifle and he got a trigger installed on it, I can’t remeber the make but it wasnt curved, it was strait. I liked that triggers look but that’s not the deciding factor. What do you outdoorsmen recommend? Thanks.

Redneck.
I had mine stock trigger on 700 Rem got adjusted to about 2 1/2 lb by Henry Rample .
Works pretty good for me for hunting.

S12
Old 10-29-2018, 12:49 PM

My target rifles have jewel triggers with no safety. My semi autos have Geissele SSAE & G2S triggers. The rest have factory Tikka triggers which don’t replacing.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
I had mine stock trigger on 700 Rem got adjusted to about 2 1/2 lb by Henry Rample .
Works pretty good for me for hunting.

S12
I adjusted a few of my X Mark triggers but just by feel and like them lots. That’s why I never looked into new trigger. Ill be buying a trigger gauge soon here.

I’m thinking of putting a Jewell in my target rifle since reviews are they don’t like to get dirty at all. Then I’ll buy a trigger tech for my coyote rifle and see how it does this winter and then decide if I’ll buy another 6 triggers.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:27 PM

Have used Rifle Basix, Jewel, Timney, Canjar and a few others, plus a ton of factory triggers. Never tried the Trigger Tech but it sound very interesting. Maybe on the next gun.

For a hunting trigger an old Rem trigger properly adjusted or the new Mark ones are pretty darn good and don't cost extra. Best factory triggers I ever shot were on Anschutz (probably still a better trigger than the best after market one I ever shot), Sako, and Sauer. I found all of the after market triggers great at 2 to 3 Lbs. For real light set Bench guns the Rifle Basix and the Timney both seemed a little better than the rest.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:09 PM

Currently have Timney, trigger tech, and rifle basix on 700’s and I rate them in that order the timney and trigger tech are splitting hairs for which i prefer the rifle basix is good but just not the same feel a properly tuned old school rem trigger is better than the basix
Old 10-29-2018, 03:39 PM

I absolutely love the trigger tech, I run a Diamond on my match rifle and special on my hunting rifle. Crisp repeatable triggers, nice glass wall. The difference in levels is how far you can adjust it before it doesn't become repeatable. Regular is 1.5#, Special is 1#, Diamond is 4oz
Old 10-29-2018, 04:20 PM

For the hunting rifles, any of those mentioned is a significant upgrade on the factory triggers. For the target rifle I would flip a coin between the Jewell and the Timney Calvin Elite. Both are, IMO, outstanding.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:40 PM

I’ve got 3 Rifle Basix triggers on 700’s
2 are the 1.5-4.5lb models, the third is a 4oz to 40oz model.

They are leaps and bounds ahead of the factory triggers, my 4-40 model has been shot by SBR shooters and they had few complaints.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-29-2018, 05:25 PM

Perhaps someone can chime in with a name ... An F-class competitor mentioned a “new” trigger, apparently all the rage in that discipline, that employs the use of “bearings”?
Old 10-29-2018, 06:20 PM

Thanks to a PM ... I believe the trigger using ball bearings is Bix’n Andy.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:57 PM

1 . For general good adjustable trigger Timney if fine

2 For a little better than the timney is the Shilen.

3 Jewel is the best of the 3 .you will have to determine if it’s worth the extra $$

If I remember you have to use the safety from your original Remington and put it on the Shilen.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:03 PM

I came across a used Triggertech for my 7mm-08 and can reliably get 0.5" or better groups very reliably on an otherwise stock 700CDL. I've used Timney for years and they've treated me well.
Having used both triggers I prefer and most definitely recommend the Triggertech over the Timney now!
Old 10-29-2018, 08:29 PM

Timney, Jewel, or Shilen. All good. Slight differences in fit and feel but all good quality gear.

I lean more towards the Timney than the other two. I prefer the feel of the Timney in a hunting rifle. I like the Jewel and Shilen on target rifles. Interestingly, I no longer own any of the rifles that had Jewel or Shilen triggers. But, I do have a couple 700s with Timneys installed.

It's been 2 years since I bought my last Timney, but I would guess they are still less expensive than the other two brands.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:43 PM

Thanks for everyone’s input. Definitely a thread that will help others in the future with the search button.

What I’ve researched so far is Trigger Tech is better then timney, Trigger Tech has zero creep after the trigger is pulled and the Timney has noticeable movement. Jewell’s seem to be higher end and for bench rifles as they don’t like to operate dusty or dirty.

Thanks everyone again for the replies.

I'll probably stick with Trigger Tech for the first one in my coyote rifle. Maybe buy a Timney after that to try out. But I’ll buy a Jewell for my bench rifle, then in about 8 months see how they all compare and then equip the rest of my hunting rifles with a Trigger Tech or Timney. I do love the fact Trigger Tech is Canadian and EM Precision has them in stock.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:20 PM

This is Geissele Automatics Customer Service!

Our Remington 700 is fully adjustable, and comes in single and 2 stage. It's a civilian version of our MK13 trigger, made for the military sniper rifle, so its got the pedigree you'd want in a trigger that will last a lifetime.. if not two.

If you've got any questions, please feel free to ping us! Our Canadian distributors should be getting the Geissele Super 700 trigger soon.