Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 AM

Default Savage model 25 varminter ?????

Hey all. So I have the rifle noted above chambered in .223. The problem I'm having is the mag does not hold the rounds level, or horizontal to the mouth of the mag. The tips of the rounds stick up at about a 45 degree angle. It's like the mouth of the mag is not tight enough to hold the rounds down. Bought a new mag and it does the exact same thing. Has anyone ever seen this or better yet have a solution for the problem? Thanks
Old 10-26-2018, 10:26 AM

Could just be how the mag was designed. Does it still feed fine? If it does I would just leave it

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-26-2018, 02:12 PM

Default Mod 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Could just be how the mag was designed. Does it still feed fine? If it does I would just leave it
No it doesn't feed good. I have never seen that before from any mag I have ever handled. Phoned savage and they don't have a clue what I'm talking about. Say they have never even heard of it before.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:31 PM

Model number and mag number are correct? I know what you are saying. And have witnessed it once before on someone’s gun. They bought a new mag and all was fine.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:22 PM

Default Mod 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Model number and mag number are correct? I know what you are saying. And have witnessed it once before on someone’s gun. They bought a new mag and all was fine.
Ya it all matches. The mouth of the mag needs to be compressed slightly, but just not sure how to get it to stay like that being a plastic mag.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:31 PM

Cheaper Savages are all the same, can I say it, crap. I had a model 93, same issue, magazine. Finely got the lips bent just right, but you didn't dare jam the magazine in, would mess up again.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-27-2018, 08:55 AM

My Savage 93 (17hmr) is the same . You need to (very slightly) squeeze the lips together that slide onto the vertical mag rail. This will tighten up the magazine's alignment and make rounds feed better. Poor design.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Banned

And I'll be 'that guy' that has put thousands of rounds through his 93FVSS, have four mags for it and never had an issue.
As have countless others.
It's one of many of things I don't like about the web. Someone has a problem...one or two more say they have had the same issue and all of sudden it's the worst gun made (actually this happens on all forums...including Mercedes Benz).
Old 10-27-2018, 10:07 AM

Southernman had several issues with his model 25 in 17 hornet Feeding was one of the issues.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
And I'll be 'that guy' that has put thousands of rounds through his 93FVSS, have four mags for it and never had an issue.
It's one of many of things I don't like about the web. Someone has a problem...one or two more say they have had the same issue and all of sudden it's the worst gun made (actually this happens on all forums...including Mercedes Benz).
Agreed, everyone is an expert on the web. Usually the posers are in plain sight.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:15 PM

Default Mod 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Southernman had several issues with his model 25 in 17 hornet Feeding was one of the issues.
Did he ever get them resolved do you know?
Old 10-27-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG View Post
Did he ever get them resolved do you know?
I do know that he purchased a CZ527 in 17 Hornet.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Mine wasn't a feeding issue. I would work the bolt and the content of the magazine would be ejected like a machine gun.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-28-2018, 09:56 AM

Ya thanks guys. Not quite sure how I'm going to rectify this problem being its with a plastic mag.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
^I agree with this sentiment in principle, but on the other hand...the model 25 is an econo-centerfire that I've heard various spotty things about over the years. It's why I never considered one when looking at Hornets, and eventually saved for a 527. The 25 is built more like their 93 series rimfires, just with a nicer finish and bigger asking price.

To the OP~having dealt with Savage, I've found them not only helpful...but EAGER to help with issues Savage owners have. Contact Savage and tell them what the issue is, I'm guessing they'll help you out. Mag issues on the 93s (different mag/action/caliber, I KNOW!!) are well documented, but they are on Marlin magnum rimfires too. Various things can cause problems like you describe, but it's usually the mag lips. That, coupled with aggressive spring pressure beneath the follower can not only hold the top round at the wrong angle, but can positively jam it there too! lol

I laughed at the "machine gun" comment someone made, as I had a Savage 93 (3 of them) in 17HMR, and had a 10 round mag that did that sometimes. When ejecting the top round once spent (under the most pressure) you'd sometimes get a partial "mag dump" of live rounds out of the ejection port. Like empties on a submachine gun flying out, minus the fun. lol

Anyhow, contact Savage...Google the issue...you can't be the first guy to have this happen on a model 25.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
^I agree with this sentiment in principle, but on the other hand...the model 25 is an econo-centerfire that I've heard various spotty things about over the years. It's why I never considered one when looking at Hornets, and eventually saved for a 527. The 25 is built more like their 93 series rimfires, just with a nicer finish and bigger asking price.

To the OP~having dealt with Savage, I've found them not only helpful...but EAGER to help with issues Savage owners have. Contact Savage and tell them what the issue is, I'm guessing they'll help you out. Mag issues on the 93s (different mag/action/caliber, I KNOW!!) are well documented, but they are on Marlin magnum rimfires too. Various things can cause problems like you describe, but it's usually the mag lips. That, coupled with aggressive spring pressure beneath the follower can not only hold the top round at the wrong angle, but can positively jam it there too! lol
I laughed at the "machine gun" comment someone made, as I had a Savage 93 (3 of them) in 17HMR, and had a 10 round mag that did that sometimes. When ejecting the top round once spent (under the most pressure) you'd sometimes get a partial "mag dump" of live rounds out of the ejection port. Like empties on a submachine gun flying out, minus the fun. lol

Anyhow, contact Savage...Google the issue...you can't be the first guy to have this happen on a model 25.

Thanks. I'll give savage another call and see if I end up talking to someone different this time.