Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-16-2016, 03:09 PM

Default Fishing from a canoe

I was wondering if anyone can share any pros/cons of fishing from a canoe. I am trying to complete some research into a canoe that I can use for river trips with the wife, as well as fishing trips with the buddies. I have only gotten into fishing the last year or two.. always from the shore or icefishing.

I live in Calgary and have floated down the river many times, but I would like to be able to canoe K country and some of the other lakes while fishing.

I have some experience with a canoe, obviously might have to work on my skills a little before reeling in some big fish, but I was hoping for some fishing related tips for canoeing. I have a few questions specific..

1) I am a C&R guy - it is actually possible to catch and release from a canoe without flipping the canoe / injuring the fish? Is it acceptable to net them, release the hook, and then put back in?.. seems like it would be hard on the fish?

2) Outriggers - neccessary or no? Do they actually work as well as advertised?

3) Lakes that "dont allow motors" .. do they still allow battery operated trolling motors?..

4) Any additional accessories you would recommend outside of the standard?

5) Any specific types/sizes of canoes that you can recommend?

If you have a canoe setup for fishing I would enjoy seeing some peoples setups!

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymacrds View Post
I was wondering if anyone can share any pros/cons of fishing from a canoe. I am trying to complete some research into a canoe that I can use for river trips with the wife, as well as fishing trips with the buddies. I have only gotten into fishing the last year or two.. always from the shore or icefishing.

I live in Calgary and have floated down the river many times, but I would like to be able to canoe K country and some of the other lakes while fishing.

I have some experience with a canoe, obviously might have to work on my skills a little before reeling in some big fish, but I was hoping for some fishing related tips for canoeing. I have a few questions specific..

1) I am a C&R guy - it is actually possible to catch and release from a canoe without flipping the canoe / injuring the fish? Is it acceptable to net them, release the hook, and then put back in?.. seems like it would be hard on the fish?
depends on the fish. Trout would be more likely to be harmed by that handling, but that goes for any handling of trout.
Quote:
2) Outriggers - neccessary or no? Do they actually work as well as advertised?
Not necessary, but sometimes nice. Never used them on the river.
Quote:
3) Lakes that "dont allow motors" .. do they still allow battery operated trolling motors?..
If it's no gas motors you're good to go, if it's no motors leave it at home and paddle.
Quote:
4) Any additional accessories you would recommend outside of the standard?
Sunshield. I made mine that snaps on the gunwales, and it's great for a hot lazy day on the lake.
Quote:
5) Any specific types/sizes of canoes that you can recommend?
Minimum of 15 footer for 2 people. Flat bottom has more primary stability, tumblehome gives more secondary stability. You don't want it to be overs table though.
Quote:
If you have a canoe setup for fishing I would enjoy seeing some peoples setups!

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:59 PM

I've fished from a Sportspal canoe for forty years and never tipped it.

However, did fall out once when standing up and fly casting. Actually had the presence of mind to step out into the water when realizing that a struggle would have meant losing some valuable tackle! Never, ever stood up in that boat again! ALWAYS WEAR A LIFEJACKET.

Nothing special about handling, netting, and releasing fish compared to other vessels.

Trolling in windy conditions with a canoe is a pain. I have an electric motor but still try to get out of the wind if possible.

Anchoring a canoe can be a pain. I set mine over the side almost from the middle so that the boat often tends to circle around in semi calm conditions. A two anchor system would be better but is difficult in a canoe unless two people?
Old 02-16-2016, 07:01 PM

I love my 12' shallow v for fishing small lakes and rivers. It's stable enough to fly cast and handle fish and streamlined enough that I can easily troll spinners and spoons with only myself paddling.

I haven't tipped mine yet but just in case I rigged up some lanyards for my rod and tackle box.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
I've fished from a Sportspal canoe for forty years and never tipped it.

However, did fall out once when standing up and fly casting. Actually had the presence of mind to step out into the water when realizing that a struggle would have meant losing some valuable tackle! Never, ever stood up in that boat again! ALWAYS WEAR A LIFEJACKET.

Nothing special about handling, netting, and releasing fish compared to other vessels.

Trolling in windy conditions with a canoe is a pain. I have an electric motor but still try to get out of the wind if possible.

Anchoring a canoe can be a pain. I set mine over the side almost from the middle so that the boat often tends to circle around in semi calm conditions. A two anchor system would be better but is difficult in a canoe unless two people?
I love my Sportspal as well, and often flycast why standing in it as well as my freighter.
Most times I prefer to stand while paddling my canoes along a shoreline and have 60" paddles for that.
I also pole them at times.
Some people never get used to them but was brought up hunting and fishing out of them in them and love them, whether a small cruiser or larger freighter.
Cat
Old 02-16-2016, 08:03 PM

I use a sportspal too, and it is great for fishing. I have the square back version so it is very stable. I have never tried it in flowing water though.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:07 PM

I've been fishing out of a canoe for more than 40 years, first my Dad's and now my own.
Mine is a 16 foot, home build cedar 'stripper' model.
Just know the boat, it's limits - and your own, and use it accordingly.
A canoe can be remarkably stable.

Like Cat I often stand up and paddle or pole in calm water.
Lifejackets are essential; I have fallen out when goofing off . Learn how to get back in if ya do go overboard .

Make sure you have a net for landing fish!

Tags
calgary, canoe, fishing