Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2016, 06:25 PM

Default Pike where they don't belong

Anyone hear rumors of Northern Pike being caught in Birch Lake near Caroline over the weekend?
Old 01-11-2016, 06:34 PM

Esh I hope not, be a shame if another lake up there gets ruined by some moron with a bucket
Old 01-11-2016, 06:44 PM

Nope, but I know there's a beast in there! Buddy's estimate is its in the 40" range, and he's not one to exaggerate! Sure hope the person kept it!!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:14 PM

Can you verify that there is pike in there? Photographs, etc. This would be significant if its true. Would have very bad ramifications for the quality of the Trout fishery that is there.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:37 PM

No photos but a good friend had it come in right under the ice to inspect his offering. Him and his brother spent the rest of the day trying to catch it but no luck.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:07 PM

They were sure it was a northern pike and not one of the very large rainbows or very large browns that are present in that lake. The brookies can be pretty big on occasion as well.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:16 PM

Nope it was a pike. I too ask the same question and he and his brother both clearly saw it. It came in just under the ice, so it would be hard to mistake it.

Let the hunt begin!
We will be out there every chance we can get! That suckers days are numbered!
Old 01-11-2016, 09:56 PM

If there is one. There is likely more. That's not good news for the future of the fishery in that lake. I really hope Fish and Feathers catch the bucket brigade that keep illegally stocking fish. Starting to get really really annoying.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:27 AM

I wouldn't panic too much about it.
There's been pike in there for years; a dude I know caught one there, probably 15 years ago.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:04 AM

Two years ago we caught a 16 inch pike out of there and hear a few people talking about one or two caught out of there at before the new year
Old 01-12-2016, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcarpenter View Post
Nope, but I know there's a beast in there! Buddy's estimate is its in the 40" range, and he's not one to exaggerate! Sure hope the person kept it!!

Keeping said pike would be as illegal as dumping them in there in the first place. Unfortunately it won't be a angler that fixes this, at least not legally.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTreadOnMe View Post
Keeping said pike would be as illegal as dumping them in there in the first place. Unfortunately it won't be a angler that fixes this, at least not legally.
Why would it be illegal. Regs has 3 trout as the only stipulation for Birch. Which would mean you would fall back to the general regs for northern pike in lakes which is 3 with no size limit. Keep em if you catch em.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptreguy View Post
Why would it be illegal. Regs has 3 trout as the only stipulation for Birch. Which would mean you would fall back to the general regs for northern pike in lakes which is 3 with no size limit. Keep em if you catch em.
You only read the regs that you wanted to read apparently. This is copy and paste from page 16 in the regs. You may also want to know that baitfish are illegal at Birch since you can't read the regs properly.

"The following list of lakes, reservoirs and ponds identifies sites that are frequently stocked with rainbow trout, and some with brook trout, brown trout or cutthroat trout. Water bodies appearing below are open all year with a trout limit of five. The harvest of game fish species other than trout from stocked trout waters is not permitted. Stocked waters where the harvest of other species is allowed or where bait restrictions apply are listed under “Lakes and Streams Listings” for each Watershed Unit.
Several additional sites stocked with rainbow, brook, brown, cutthroat trout or arctic grayling are not identified in this section, but appear with special
regulations under “Lake and Stream Listing” for each Watershed Unit starting on page 34"
So since it doesn't have a pike limited listed for birch in particular the harvest of sportfish other than trout is clearly illegal at said lake.

Last edited by DonTreadOnMe; 01-12-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
You only read the regs that you wanted to read apparently. This is copy and paste from page 16 in the regs. You may also want to know that baitfish are illegal at Birch since you can't read the regs properly.

"The following list of lakes, reservoirs and ponds identifies sites that are frequently stocked with rainbow trout, and some with brook trout, brown trout or cutthroat trout. Water bodies appearing below are open all year with a trout limit of five. The harvest of game fish species other than trout from stocked trout waters is not permitted. Stocked waters where the harvest of other species is allowed or where bait restrictions apply are listed under “Lakes and Streams Listings” for each Watershed Unit.
Several additional sites stocked with rainbow, brook, brown, cutthroat trout or arctic grayling are not identified in this section, but appear with special
regulations under “Lake and Stream Listing” for each Watershed Unit starting on page 34"
So since it doesn't have a pike limited listed for birch in particular the harvest of sportfish other than trout is clearly illegal at said lake.
Copied from the same page: where's Birch?

Watershed Unit ES2
Alford Lake - (4-36-8-W5)
Brazeau Borrow Pit #1 - (28-45-10-W5)
Camp 9 Trout Pond - (32-44-8-W5)
Elk Creek Pond - (33-35-12-W5)
Goldeye Lake - (13-40-16-W5)
Harlech Pond - (5-41-14-W5)
Mitchell Lake - (25-37-8-W5)
Nordegg Borrow Pit [east] - (32-40-15-W5)
Nordegg Borrow Pit [west] - (32-40-15-W5)
Peppers Lake - (30-35-12-W5)
Rat Lake - (11-38-9-W5)
Rocky Children’s Pond - (34-39-7-W5)
Shunda (Fish) Lake - (18-40-15-W5)
Strubel Lake - (19-37-7-W5)
Thunder Lake - (3-45-19-W5)
Winchell Lake - (2-29-5-W5)
Yellowhead Lake - (32-34-6-W5)

It would appear you can keep a Pike from Birch?

Cheers
Old 01-12-2016, 01:41 PM

All regulations debates aside, what I am trying to definitively ascertain is weather there is in fact northern pike present in Birch Lake. If someone has a photo of these pike with the black spot disease that is ever present at birch and the photo has recognizable background of birch lake I would be very interested as this definitive finding would have potential long term affects on the quality of the trout fishery at Birch Lake. I am referring to the Birch Lake you access off of the Burnstick Lake road that has rainbows, brookies and browns. Any information or factual proof of the presence of northern pike would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
Two years ago we caught a 16 inch pike out of there and hear a few people talking about one or two caught out of there at before the new year
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillieSuit View Post
All regulations debates aside, what I am trying to definitively ascertain is weather there is in fact northern pike present in Birch Lake. If someone has a photo of these pike with the black spot disease that is ever present at birch and the photo has recognizable background of birch lake I would be very interested as this definitive finding would have potential long term affects on the quality of the trout fishery at Birch Lake. I am referring to the Birch Lake you access off of the Burnstick Lake road that has rainbows, brookies and browns. Any information or factual proof of the presence of northern pike would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You have a poster who has said he caught a pike from Birch.

Cheers
Old 01-12-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post

Cheers
I will try to go out there this weekend and see if I can hook one
Old 01-12-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post

Cheers
Yes I have several people's word that they caught a pike from Birch Lake. However, without a picture of the fish at the lake in question I am inclined to believe it is just a story. Not trying to be rude. I tell stories too. Not saying the stories aren't factual or anything like that, but all they are is a story about a series of events that happend.

Fred went to Birch Lake and caught a Pike. Just a short story. Might be true, might be exaggerated, might be the wrong lake, might not be a pike. Lots of variables.

The province manages Birch Lake as a tri-species fishing lake for Browns, Rainbows, and Brookies. Not Pike or Perch as has happened in other lakes within this district. Therefore, deciding what goes where and what is managed how can be difficult if they aren't aware of pike or perch in those said water bodies. Anyway before you decide to do a bunch of additional work on a project you want all the facts. So in this case before I chase this finding any further. I want to be definitely sure a pike was in fact caught at Birch Lake. Just my thoughts on the whole thing. Not saying anything about any one or any fisherman and not concerning my self with the legalities of regulations either. Just looking for definitive proof that pike have been caught at Birch Lake. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:56 PM

Gilliesuit - I will let everyone I know that I know that fishes it to keep an eye out for the black spot issue, hopefully we can get a pic for you.

Myself and the crew will be out there this weekend going hard for the pike, trout are safe as we all practice catch & release.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcarpenter View Post
Gilliesuit - I will let everyone I know that I know that fishes it to keep an eye out for the black spot issue, hopefully we can get a pic for you.

Myself and the crew will be out there this weekend going hard for the pike, trout are safe as we all practice catch & release.
Thanks I appreciate that. I too have fished Birch many times and only caught brookies and the odd rainbow and the odd brown.

Black Spot Disease is prevalent in that lake so it can help identify that a fish is in fact from that water body.

Although Black Spot Disease is also found in Burnstick Lake which is predominantly a pike, walleye and perch fishery. That said occasionally you will encounter brookies and browns that have come down out of west stoney creek. Which is why a photo would be so telling. Unless it was photoshopped or something silly like that. Anyway I digress.

I've never seen or caught a pike and Birch and I fish it fairly often, but lately have heard several accounts of this happening. So given the possible impacts that pike can have on a trout fishery. I like to document factual evidence so I may pass it along to the regional bio for further investigation and review. Just my thoughts on the whole thing. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:39 AM

Caught a jumbo perch in there a couple years ago, effin people
Old 01-13-2016, 12:33 PM

There have been reports of perch in Birch lake as well over the last 5-8 years. The bios conducted several exhaustive test netting sequences followed up with electrofishing and countless hours of angler surveys. The project was expensive and time consuming. The end result was no perch being verified in the Lake. All that was caught were the stocked trout and the expected forage fish that are natural to the lake.

So given the reoccurrence of stories indicating pike catches at Birch Lake it is kind of imperative that documented proof be presented of a Pike being caught there before the Bio's decide to conduct that level of investigation to verify said results.

Like I said keep your eyes open and if you catch a pike or see someone catch a pike at Birch Lake take a photo with recognizable background and present the evidence so fisheries management can respond appropriately. The backwoods, backyard, bucket brigade of illegal fishing stocking within the central district has become a serious problem and it has serious consequences for the future and current quality of all the fisheries that are being messed with. Again just my thoughts on this whole issue.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Maybe you should think about giving the regs a read through prior to giving out any more lessons. Here are your stocked lakes compliments of WAGS in case you missed it.

Watershed Unit ES2
Alford Lake - (4-36-8-W5)
Brazeau Borrow Pit #1 - (28-45-10-W5)
Camp 9 Trout Pond - (32-44-8-W5)
Elk Creek Pond - (33-35-12-W5)
Goldeye Lake - (13-40-16-W5)
Harlech Pond - (5-41-14-W5)
Mitchell Lake - (25-37-8-W5)
Nordegg Borrow Pit [east] - (32-40-15-W5)
Nordegg Borrow Pit [west] - (32-40-15-W5)
Peppers Lake - (30-35-12-W5)
Rat Lake - (11-38-9-W5)
Rocky Children’s Pond - (34-39-7-W5)
Shunda (Fish) Lake - (18-40-15-W5)
Strubel Lake - (19-37-7-W5)
Thunder Lake - (3-45-19-W5)
Winchell Lake - (2-29-5-W5)
Yellowhead Lake - (32-34-6-W5)

Also to the OP, have caught a few trout out of there with some pretty large war wounds. May have to drop a smelt down when I'm up there to see if I can't hook one of these "mystery" pike.

Last edited by Sceptreguy; 01-13-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:52 PM

They can wipe out a lake pretty quick. Hope they're not in there
Old 01-13-2016, 05:54 PM

Sceptreguy,

You mentioned you've caught some fish out of Birch Lake that had some big war wounds. I am assuming you mean bite marks or scarring of some kind. Was this on fish that came from under the ice during winter or during open water season?

And would you perchance have pictures of these wounds.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillieSuit View Post
Sceptreguy,

You mentioned you've caught some fish out of Birch Lake that had some big war wounds. I am assuming you mean bite marks or scarring of some kind. Was this on fish that came from under the ice during winter or during open water season?

And would you perchance have pictures of these wounds.

Thanks.
I only fish Birch during the winter. I always just assumed they were old marks from birds in the summer or birds from around the aerator during the winter but if there are a few pike in there then that would also make sense. And sorry no pics.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:18 PM

Default Birch Lake Pike

Page 41 of the regs. Birch lake falls under the category of ES2 Lakes sub section C "listed lakes that don't mention a fish species" Pike limit is 3 no size restrictions. So if ya catch em keep them. No question about it, keep them. In fact for Birch lake that goes for anything you catch there with the exception of the trout. Just follow the provincial restrictions and your good.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Banned

Old 02-16-2016, 11:17 PM

I've caught lots of brooks with the black spot at birch
A few bows now as well
Haven't seen it in the browns yet

Never seen a pike nor a perch

This lake has been getting hammered. Pike would ruin this project. I wish they made it catch and release for at least a few years. I haven't seen any big brooks but in the past they were there. Aeration should have this lake doing better......

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:35 PM

I was at a fishing derby this past weekend at a small local trout pond. I caught a 13.25" trout (the only trout caught that day). I ended up coming in second to the guy that caught the only other fish - a 27" pike!