Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2015, 10:33 AM

Default NSR river

I don't know about anybody else but the fishing sure seams slow on the north sask this year...any thoughts or is it just me
Old 08-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Banned

High water temps
Low water levels
Old 08-25-2015, 11:27 AM

Fishing has been picking up got 3 sturgeon last outting and water temps are down so bite should keep getting better.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:57 AM

Caught 6 fish between two of us a couple nights ago on the fly. 2 goldeye and 4 baby walleye
Old 08-26-2015, 11:38 AM

some guys are saying night fishing is the only time to head out....anybody have luck with that
Old 08-26-2015, 11:47 AM

two weeks ago the water temp was 18-21 degree c
last night it was 15 in the late afternoon so it is cooling off fast

surface temps by Hummingbird 640
Old 08-26-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spice View Post
some guys are saying night fishing is the only time to head out....anybody have luck with that
Night fishing is fantastic for sturgeon
Old 08-26-2015, 10:25 PM

Default Slow is right

I was out on the river last night, and I agree the fishing was unusually slow,actually has been a year.Resorted to trolling spoons and jigs and finally caught 3 small walleye but that was it for about 12 hours of fishing.Not a single bite on Worms,minnows,leeches NOTHING.Thats never happend to me on this river and is a little concerning.What makes it even stranger is I have a jet boat Jet so I was able to hit all the major known deep holes from Hermitage Park in Edmonton to about 20km past devon.Didnt even have a single work or minnow stolen of the drop rigs, so weird.What do you guys think the fish are doing and any ideas as to where they might be or why they have stopped feeding VERY STRANGE.Id appreciate and love to hear everyones thoughts onb this.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyelifer View Post
I was out on the river last night, and I agree the fishing was unusually slow,actually has been a year.Resorted to trolling spoons and jigs and finally caught 3 small walleye but that was it for about 12 hours of fishing.Not a single bite on Worms,minnows,leeches NOTHING.Thats never happend to me on this river and is a little concerning.What makes it even stranger is I have a jet boat Jet so I was able to hit all the major known deep holes from Hermitage Park in Edmonton to about 20km past devon.Didnt even have a single work or minnow stolen of the drop rigs, so weird.What do you guys think the fish are doing and any ideas as to where they might be or why they have stopped feeding VERY STRANGE.Id appreciate and love to hear everyones thoughts onb this.
Well fishing at hermitage is probably your first mistake not a good spot lol, fishing has been slow this year due to high water temps from the low water levels we have had causing more stress on the fish and making them not feed as much, at least that is what i think.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:33 PM

Default looking for someone to take fishing in my Jet Boat

So im just trowing this out there if anyone ever wants to come fish this NSR river in depth let me know.I have a really nice JetBoat and my good fishing buddy is moving.So if anyone ever wants to go fishing let me know I always prefer to have someone along when JetBoating anyways.Gotta go find those damn walley been really slow this year.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:43 PM

The water level spiked the other day, the abraham facility must have opened the dam upstream. Fish seem to be way more active now, I'm finally seeing goldeye rise.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:54 AM
Banned

I have commented before on other threads that the NSR has been much slower this year compared to previous years for both myself, and for other NSR anglers that I have talked to.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:16 AM

For me its kinda the opposite. I'm happy with the year I had on the NSR. I don't pound it hard by any means and I fly fish from shore, but in finding some good spots where I can cast I have been getting maybe a fish or two per hour or at least a bite on per hour or so. No world records. Not a lot of action, but the last 2-3 years prior to this year I was going home skunked more than anything.

I do run in to people that spin cast or bait fish with rigs and they have been saying its slow as well.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyelifer View Post
So im just trowing this out there if anyone ever wants to come fish this NSR river in depth let me know.I have a really nice JetBoat and my good fishing buddy is moving.So if anyone ever wants to go fishing let me know I always prefer to have someone along when JetBoating anyways.Gotta go find those damn walley been really slow this year.
I launched at genessee and ran about 25 km upstream fished all the classic back eddies..only catch when trolling with cotton cordells(gold and black)...i got a jet boat as well everbody always wants to go fishing until its time to get up and go...lol
Old 02-17-2016, 08:00 PM

If your still up for taking someone new out on river i game. In exchange I will take you out in my lund on the lakes between red deer and edmonton.

Ryan
Old 02-18-2016, 02:41 PM

Ryan,
Sounds like a good plan.