Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 PM

Wish I could help out Chubb but won't be mobile enough to commit. I'll see what I can do to pitch in from here and send it down with Trader. I do have a couple of propane deep fryers if you need for any cooking. French fries or boiling water. Let me know if they would be of use. One is a deep pot sized for turkey and the other is shallow for fish. Let me know if you would be able to use or not.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:28 PM

Thank you for your contribution Willowtrail, I am certain we could use your deep fryers for heating water for hot chocolate. Running two in tandem will ensure we don't ever run out of hot water for the kids and parents warm hot chocolates!

This is truly highlighting the core morals of Alberta's Outdoorsmen. A man who is laid up with injury, during the Christmas season, is still able to fond a way to help out. Thank you!

I will correspond with you via PM to make the necessary arrangements and provide you with additional information.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Thank you for your contribution Willowtrail, I am certain we could use your deep fryers for heating water for hot chocolate. Running two in tandem will ensure we don't ever run out of hot water for the kids and parents warm hot chocolates!

This is truly highlighting the core morals of Alberta's Outdoorsmen. A man who is laid up with injury, during the Christmas season, is still able to fond a way to help out. Thank you!

I will correspond with you via PM to make the necessary arrangements and provide you with additional information.
This forum is whats keeping me sane right now. I'm always in contact with Horsetrader so the 3 of us can arrange for him to bring them down. I'll be able to drive again in the new year so I can drop off to Horse.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:51 PM

thanks WT for the awesome contribution.....have a great holiday season and best wishes getting well

Thanks TFG for being the tent and equipment manager...much appreciated
Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 PM

as of right now i have this list from AO

1-Mudslide
2-Npauls
3-GL2
4-GL2's wife
1114-14-13-5-Wayne Christy
6-Wayne Christy's wife
7-Horsetrader
8-Chesterfield
9-Slivers86
10-Slivers86's nurse
11-Ogre
12-Fish Farmer
13-Daceminnow
14-Daceminnow's wife
15-Dago
16-The Fisherman Guy
17-Mikeo2
18-Big Turk
19-Big Turks friend
20-Jack@7
21-Jack@7's Girlfriend
22-Hogslayer
23-Hogslayer's son
24-Dan Foss
25-AlbertaAngler
26-NHO
27-NHO's wife
28-Chubb
29-Chubbs warden
30-Chubbs daughter
31- Slivers86 - friend

Yes there is another list of people with no forum names.

thanks to you all

Please review the list if there are mistakes please inform me. It is very important that all volunteers are on the list to comply with legalities, anyone not listed will not be allowed to participate.

For anyone wishing to donate a prize, please inform me and make arrangements for it to be sent to me. In order to comply with the gaming permit I must inventory and declare all prizes with a disclosure of its full net worth. Any prizes brought to the event without proper documentation may not be allowed to be presented as a draw prize.

Thanks everyone

---

POSTED FOR CHUBB
Old 12-21-2011, 11:00 PM

the volunteer cap has now been met. a huge thanks goes out to all of you that are helping. if for any reason anyone that has volunteered cant make it please send myself or chubb a pm and we will make arrangements for your spot to be filled by someone else. this is shaping up to be a great event, and one these kids will never forget.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 PM

Canadian Sportsman shows has jumped in big time with 50 full size rod and reel combos. These combos will be presented to the attending clubs after the event to put into their club inventory. The combos will be used on their summer camping trips and fishing outtings. Thank You Pam, your generousity will help the children satisfy their craving to fish after the ice event and winter are over.

Daceminnow has contacted the Okotoks Home Depot and the manager Doug has most generously donated 6 screwdriver sets for draw prizes......thanks Dace, Doug and Home depot.

Last but not least, Huge thanks to Mikeo and his Family for making a large contribution that fills a enormous void . Thanks is just not enough for all Mike and his Family have done.....Thanks Buddy.

As we approach the holiday season the dealings and discussions will probably slow to a crawl and rev back up again on our final push to the event day.
I thank all of you who have helped in any aspect of the event. I will insure all orders are placed to give recieving goods in time possible in the mean time.

Happy Holidays Everyone, may you and your families have a safe and festive season.

Chubbdarter
Old 12-22-2011, 11:16 PM

I won't be getting an answer from the places I have spoken with until after the holidays.

I am hoping they will both be on board and donate something.

I can't wait to get out there and get all the kids into a mess of fish and meet all the other volunteers that are working hard to make this event happen.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 PM

Chubbdarter...

Just an update for you. I have conversed with Fisherman Guy and we are working on the tent situation. I hope to hear something by tomorrow but it might be too late as I am sure the office staff at ATCO is done for the holidays. We may have to wait until the new year, but I am very optimistic. I don't think the gas grills will be a prob either. I also have a turkey deep fryer we could use to make a huge pot of hot chocolate as well.

I will keep you guys up to date as soon as I hear something..

Merry Christmas to all!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 12-22-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
Chubbdarter...

Just an update for you. I have conversed with Fisherman Guy and we are working on the tent situation. I hope to hear something by tomorrow but it might be too late as I am sure the office staff at ATCO is done for the holidays. We may have to wait until the new year, but I am very optimistic. I don't think the gas grills will be a prob either. I also have a turkey deep fryer we could use to make a huge pot of hot chocolate as well.

I will keep you guys up to date as soon as I hear something..

Merry Christmas to all!

Thank you J@7 for working on critical elements of the the event....patience over the holidays is required.
That pot is also a important piece of equipment to keep the food and beverage system flowing at top speed.
With you and TFG working on this part of the event..i have nothing but faith and trust all will be well. I cant tell you both how gratefull i am for your participation, not long ago i was near losing my mind with duties and up to 3 am every night doing communications. You both have lightened my load tremendously.
Thanks
Old 12-23-2011, 10:27 AM

when you get a date firmed up .... let us know..

I can bring a drill and punch holes .... I also have a couple of fold up tables
a heaters etc. I have rods and whatever kids need.

just wondering if anyone thought of the Porta-poties thing .

maybe we can get a few lined up prior to .......
Old 12-23-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I won't be getting an answer from the places I have spoken with until after the holidays.

I am hoping they will both be on board and donate something.

I can't wait to get out there and get all the kids into a mess of fish and meet all the other volunteers that are working hard to make this event happen.
Npauls, sorry for my ignorance. Just so im up to speed are you working hard on something that we are not aware of?..............thanks
Old 12-23-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy10 View Post
when you get a date firmed up .... let us know..

I can bring a drill and punch holes .... I also have a couple of fold up tables
a heaters etc. I have rods and whatever kids need.

just wondering if anyone thought of the Porta-poties thing .

maybe we can get a few lined up prior to .......

Thank you for posting but please read the entire thread and many of your questions will be answered

p.s. porta potties are still being discussed, most likely the public washrooms will be sufficent.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Npauls, sorry for my ignorance. Just so im up to speed are you working hard on something that we are not aware of?..............thanks
Just trying to get a few places down here to donate some stuff. Nothing big really just whatever they are willing to donate.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:40 PM

Hey Chubb hate to put more work your way.But do you have a ruff agenda what the AO volunteers will need to do that day.We should start a count of the # of augers that are going to be there.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:51 PM

I have a 9 inch gas and an 8 inch manual auger I will bring, to start the list. Plus 4 man warm up tent and heater as well

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-23-2011, 10:57 PM

I have an 8 inch gas auger. I don't have a tent though. Just a single man flip over and a really heavy home made 2 man plywood hut.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
Hey Chubb hate to put more work your way.But do you have a ruff agenda what the AO volunteers will need to do that day.We should start a count of the # of augers that are going to be there.
Hey Dago no problem

I wanted to wait to alittle later so we can assign duties to people who reconfirm their participation, like any event i expect no shows or people cancelling.

But a Rough agenda is a good idea for discussion. A firm highly detailed letter to volunteers will be made closer to event day.

TFG is in charge of the tent and cook house facilities so He will assign a EARLY to show gang to set up the necessary equipment.

A another EARLY to show team will be asked to drill and clean holes. My initial thoughts are to ask guys with 8 inch power augers to bring their augers. I feel a 8 inch hole is much safer than anything larger. The team will need to drill in a grid pattern to accomodate tents with cameras, tip up holes and holes for kids to fish from. I expect we will require 150 holes. I want the holes to be a mix of tip up holes, tent / camera rotation holes and regular kids fishing holes. Its hard at this time to draw out the grid without knowing who is really showing up and who will bring tents, cameras and tip ups.
Its been discussed that a Day before team be made to drill the grid the day before and sleep on the ice.....depending on temps and refreeze situation.
Biggest priority is to look like a cool in control group when those buses pull in at 10 am, with tents and cameras set up. I want all tip ups next to holes but not fishing. I want all the kids ice outfits laying next to the holes ready to fish. All fishing outfits are provided by Normark Canada and a very generous donater who wants his name unprinted.
We will have a bait station set up and all fishing guides will carry a bag of cutbait. All fishing volunteers will be provided a unique high visibility cap so the kids can easily itentify us.
I ask all fishing guide volunteers to bring pliers for releasing fish.
Sliver86 is bringing volunteers for the food serving and preparation. All food servers will be required to wear latex gloves. This facility will be open from 10 am to closing at 3pm and food and beverages will always be available
Our goal is safety first and second that all kids catch a fish and have fun. Special consideration will be given to those kids not catching fish with their ice rods to have priority to tip ups with flags up.

At he closing of the event participation prizes will be given to the kids and gifts will be given to the clubs.
Group pictures and good byes are said.

All teams will then cleanup and tear down, till the place is spotless. With 40 volunteers i expect this wont take long.

Draw prizes for volunteers and a possible burger or beef on the bun apprecitaion supper is in dicusssion now.

So as a summary, i need all guides to bring pliers and many lawn chairs as possible.Those wishing to provide tents and cameras for the kids pleasure will be asked to bring those itemsThose people with 8 inch augers will be assigned to the drill team. And be prepared to be servants to the young kings and queens of the event.
you need not bring any terminal tackle i have secured all that is needed.

So realistically if you can provide any items above and beyond pliers and lawn chairs...its highly likely you will be assigned to a EARLY SHOW TEAM

Thanks everyone

Last edited by chubbdarter; 12-24-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Banned

My tent and stuff is still up for grabs, should have a 8" gas auger by next week.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Hey Dago no problem

I wanted to wait to alittle later so we can assign duties to people who reconfirm their participation, like any event i expect no shows or people cancelling.

But a Rough agenda is a good idea for discussion. A firm highly detailed letter to volunteers will be made closer to event day.

TFG is in charge of the tent and cook house facilities so He will assign a EARLY to show gang to set up the necessary equipment.

A another EARLY to show team will be asked to drill and clean holes. My initial thoughts are to ask guys with 8 inch power augers to bring their augers. I feel a 8 inch hole is much safer than anything larger. The team will need to drill in a grid pattern to accomodate tents with cameras, tip up holes and holes for kids to fish from. I expect we will require 150 holes. I want the holes to be a mix of tip up holes, tent / camera rotation holes and regular kids fishing holes. Its hard at this time to draw out the grid without knowing who is really showing up and who will bring tents, cameras and tip ups.
Its been discussed that a Day before team be made to drill the grid the day before and sleep on the ice.....depending on temps and refreeze situation.
Biggest priority is to look like a cool in control group when those buses pull in at 10 am, with tents and cameras set up. I want all tip ups next to holes but not fishing. I want all the kids ice outfits laying next to the holes ready to fish. All fishing outfits are provided by Normark Canada and a very generous donater who wants his name unprinted.
We will have a bait station set up and all fishing guides will carry a bag of cutbait. All fishing volunteers will be provided a unique high visibility cap so the kids can easily itentify us.
I ask all fishing guide volunteers to bring pliers for releasing fish.
Sliver86 is bringing volunteers for the food serving and preparation. All food servers will be required to wear latex gloves. This facility will be open from 10 am to closing at 3pm and food and beverages will always be available
Our goal is safety first and second that all kids catch a fish and have fun. Special consideration will be given to those kids not catching fish with their ice rods to have priority to tip ups with flags up.

At he closing of the event participation prizes will be given to the kids and gifts will be given to the clubs.
Group pictures and good byes are said.

All teams will then cleanup and tear down, till the place is spotless. With 40 volunteers i expect this wont take long.

Draw prizes for volunteers and a possible burger or beef on the bun apprecitaion supper is in dicusssion now.

So as a summary, i need all guides to bring pliers and many lawn chairs as possible.Those wishing to provide tents and cameras for the kids pleasure will be asked to bring those itemsThose people with 8 inch augers will be assigned to the drill team. And be prepared to be servants to the young kings and queens of the event.
you need not bring any terminal tackle i have secured all that is needed.

So realistically if you can provide any items above and beyond pliers and lawn chairs...its highly likely you will be assigned to a EARLY SHOW TEAM

Thanks everyone
One thing I'd like to ammend - nitrile gloves will be provided for food service, as many people have allergies to latex. I'm sure I could get these donated very easily by an AHS manager out there
Old 12-24-2011, 01:55 AM

I have a tent that could fit a kid at 3 corners - its only a three man, but me and three kids would be EASY if the weather was the craps.

Also- I have a 8" manual auger. I can drill away by hand if needed.

Are we to bring our tipup's? or are there tipups at disposal as well?
Old 12-24-2011, 06:59 AM

Can the people that are bringing 8" augers PM me.I will get a count and pass it on chubb.I think only experienced people should run the power augers.So if you bringing 2 augers we will find a volunteer to run it safely.Someone should get a count on the tents and cameras that will be there.

Last edited by Dale S; 12-24-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:40 AM

Sounds great Chubbdarter, the agenda gives us all a rough idea how we collectively can work toward the same goals. Thanks for taking some time to lay it out for us.

An early show team is a great idea. If any of the volunteers have snow shovels, they would be a great help when setting up and during cleanup after the event. I have two that I will bring.

As this is an event for children, I ask everyone to please honor the mandate and keep this event alcohol/intoxicant free. As previously stated breach of this will not be tolerated. This event is for the kids, if you can't go without a drink during that time perhaps it would be better if you didn't attend.

Looking forward to meeting all of you and getting kids on some fish!!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
I have a tent that could fit a kid at 3 corners - its only a three man, but me and three kids would be EASY if the weather was the craps.

Also- I have a 8" manual auger. I can drill away by hand if needed.

Are we to bring our tipup's? or are there tipups at disposal as well?

I am asking all volunteers that can bring tip ups do so, maybe the ones that can just give me a pm with how many you can bring and i will make sure there are a adequate number of tip ups as to give the kids the best chance so all kids get to catch a fish. I will also be bringing my manual auger in case my gas doesn't fire, so its not a bad idea to throw it in your truck if its not to much trouble.

I think ice shelters will be decided closer to the date and weather dependant. I don't think we will have enough for every kid to fish in a tent all the time so if the weather is bad and the clubs still wanna go a rotating shift in and out of tents is a good idea. I don't think we can have any heaters in fishing tents, the more risk we create we increase chubbs insurance premium for the event and no one wants to see any kid/person get hurt. On the same line any tent that is set up will be required to be secured down by appropriate tie downs. I think we have all seen a tent moving across a lake at 100km/hr, so no explanation is necessary.....lol.

Thanks to all you guys/gals for helping and a MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:28 PM

What tip ups work the best on that lake free spooling flag up type or the metal ban ones that move in the wind.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
What tip ups work the best on that lake free spooling flag up type or the metal ban ones that move in the wind.
I think the simplier the tip up the better, so the free spooling flag ones will be perfect. Also any people who have any can you please ensure your stuff is marked clearly. I want to make sure all gear gets returned at the end of the day.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
One thing I'd like to ammend - nitrile gloves will be provided for food service, as many people have allergies to latex. I'm sure I could get these donated very easily by an AHS manager out there

Thats why your in charge of the food service people, you know best and i trust you will handle it.....thanks S86
Old 12-24-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Any tyoe will work.
1 thing we must be aware of is to pay close atention to free feeding tip ups........1 fish allowed to go for 20 foot circle swim could cause chaos....lol

I trust with all the volunteers and young eyes watching with excitement for flags this wont be a issue.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:16 PM

As a side note......once all holes are drilled, I want all augers to be put away and out of everyones touch or reach.....No augers can be left on the ice for possible trip and fall accidents. This doesnt apply to only augers all possible risks of accidents will be removed after the EARLY SHOW TEAM has done its prep work
Old 12-24-2011, 02:51 PM

The only thing i know foresure about the grid pattern is

The Bigtent and cooking facility will be set up on the outside perimeter and on the east or predominately down wind side of the holes. Incase of a freak wind blowing up the volunteer team can respond and do whats needed without worrying about being in a high traffic area surrounded by kids and holes. Gawd forbid if a uncontrollable situation occurs the bigtent wont be crashing thru participants if its positioned on the event edge.

DAGO thank you for organizing the EARLY TO SHOW DRILL TEAM..................GL2 THANK YOU FOR ORGANIZING THE TIP UP UP TEAM AND ALL THE OTHER THINGS YOUR DOING AND HAVE ALREADY DONE...................... SLIVER86 THANKS FOR LOOKING AFTER THE COOKING AND FOOD SERVICE TEAM YOUR BRINGING WITH YOU.............TFG THANKS FOR EVERYTHING YOUR DOING AND PROVIDING LEADERSHIP ON THE TENT AND GRILL COMMITEE.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO IS PARTICIPATING, YOUR KINDNESS HAS RESTORED MY FAITH THAT GOOD PEOPLE STILL EXSIST AND DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

THANKS TO MARVIN KOIZUMI WHO USED HIS PRO STAFF ACCOUNT AND PERSONALLY FUNDED A ENORMOUS DONATION TO THIS EVENT WHICH WILL ALSO CARRY OVER INTO THE SUMMER TO BENIFIT CHILDREN. MARVIN YOU ARE A SHINING EXAMPLE OF A PRO STAFFER......THANK YOU SIR YOUR TOP NOTCH IN MY BOOKS

LAST BUT NOT LEAST HUGE THANKS TO OUR ANONOMOUS DONOR, PUROLATOR DELIVERED YOUR CHEQUE. SORRY TO KEEP THANKING YOU AS I KNOW YOU WANT IT KEPT PRIVATE BUT THANK YOU JUST SEEMS INADEQUATE