Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 01:03 PM

Default First Shotgun ?

Hi All,

I am looking to get my first shotgun, I would like to be able to use it for trap and bird hunting eventually. I am looking for a gun that is easy on the shoulder, as I have some issues with my shoulder. From what I have read my best option is probably a semi automatic as they have perceived less felt recoil.
I don't have much experience with shotguns, I have shot a few pump actions but no semi auto's. When shooting pumps with target loads recoil seems ok I can shoot about 40 rounds before it starts to get uncomfortable, but not quite unbearable.

From what I have read, I don't think I need a 3 1/2" chamber, and most reviews I have done on Semi autos most of the negative feed back on 3 1/2" is target loads failure to fire. I think I want to stay in the 12g as that is what my buddies shoot, so it seems easier knowing they will usually have ammo I can shoot or vice versa if someone runs out or there is a cycling issue.(of course this only works if the chamber will take the length.)

I am looking for some feedback from you guys that have shot some different shotguns and what your preferences are, Recoil is felt different by everyone some people say they can barely feel it and the next says the same gun kicks like a mule, so I will take everyone's opinion with that in mind.

I would like to stay under $1500 in price but for the right gun I would spend more. My preference would be a wood stock, second would be black, 3rd Camo.

A few of the guns I have liked that I have looked at.
Beretta A300 Sporting
Stoeger M3500
Stoeger 3000
Winchester SX4
Beretta A400 Lite( I know this will add to recoil, just not sure how much I really like how this one shouldered and felt)
Beretta A400 Extreme (felt good but seemed heavy kinda felt it would be hard to use for extended periods)
Franchi Affinity
Browning A5 (A little more then I want to spend)

I haven't actually shouldered any Benelli semi autos as most are more then I was looking to spend, but if there is good feedback I would consider it and check them out.

I appreciate any and all feedback.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:30 PM

Stoeger and Browning listed above are inertia type shotguns and they kick a bit more then gas operated semi's. I (have) own both and to me the kick difference is negligible compared to Beretta A400. However, this just me.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:52 PM

Beretta A400 Extreme --hands down. If I had to choose between this shotgun and my wife, I would be hard pressed!
Old 10-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Banned

I just bought a cheap Turkish semi from a company that basically makes parts for Beretta and Benelli. The one they copied is the Benelli M2 which is interia. I got inertia because I don't like to clean my guns too often and I get into some messy waterfowl shoots. It was also good for my price point. Shipped to my house I paid $380 which I should cheap in my opinion. Has a great warranty and great reviews.

Gas will give you less recoil as my father in law has a Remington 1100 Sporting and the recoil for clays and target shooting was minimal.

I've shot super magnum 3" loads from the Turkish one and the recoil is not as bad as I would have expected. I shot my friends Stoeger M3500 and it killed me after shooting 3 1/2"

Last edited by gloszz; 10-17-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I just bought cheap Turkish semi from a company that basically makes parts for Beretta and Benelli. The one they copied is the Beretta M2 which is interia. I got inertia because I don't like to clean my guns too often and I get into some messy waterfowl shoots. It was also good for my price point. Shipped to my house I paid $380 which I should cheap in my opinion. Has a great warranty and great reviews.

Gas will give you less recoil as my father in law has a Remington 1100 Sporting and the recoil for clays and target shooting was minimal.
Cleaning gas semis every time you shoot is a myth---I do mine maybe every 1000 rounds/once a year, and I hunt waterfowl in terrible conditions, plus use her for trap. My Beretta has never jammed or let me down.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:17 PM

Default Stoeger

I bought a stoeger m3500 and I love it. Break in procedure was a few boxes of pretty heavy 3 1/2" that honestly beat me up quite a bit. But now it works great. After saying that, the stoeger m3000 might be perfect for you with your shoulder. My plan was budget minded and like I said I kinda love this shotgun. I may upgrade in a few years from now or maybe not. Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:25 PM

Default too many variables

Get someone that knows what they are doing to fit you for a shotgun and base your decision on fit first. Buy the best you can afford as no one has ever been disappointed by excellent quality (and holding resale value)
You already sound sensitive to recoil and that could be from poor stance or poor fit or bad habits you have acquired. I have seen some hold the shotgun like it was going to kick them and that actually makes it more likely to kick you. Lean into the shotgun so it is firmly planted in the right spot and feels like an extension of yourself. It is just a tool to help you do a job.
Many of us shoot sub gauges just as well or often even better than a 12 gauge. 20 gauge is only slightly more expensive, slightly more difficult to find shells and considerably less recoil if you stay away from 3 inch magnums.
I have a gun that shoots 3.5 and have 2 boxes of shells. Probably shot 5 or 6 shells out of one box over past 5-6 years. Dont need it. For geese 3 inch work fine if in range and you are practiced shooter. 2 3/4 in 12 or 20 work just fine for ducks if you do your part.
Semi's load themselves after every shot so if you are new to shotguns I would stay away for safety reasons. Pumps work great for waterfowl and of course break action (o/u and Sxs) are highly regarded by upland hunters with dogs.
Fit is still the most important factor to consider. I find high end guns have better fit finish and balance and the cheap ones often require more effort on your part as shortcuts in design fit and finish make you work harder to shoot them as well. Also won a cheap semi (entrance level) at a DU banquet and sold it right away as it kicked like a mule.
Did I mention fit?
Old 10-17-2018, 02:28 PM

Any Beretta A400 with the Kickoff system if you are looking to reduce felt recoil in pretty much any situation. I have owned 2 now and can't thank them enough for making waterfowling enjoyable to me again. I have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome which causes my arms to go numb , especially when taking a beating from work or shooting. With the kickoff I can shoot 3 1/2's all day.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:36 PM

Since this will be your first shotgun, you probably are not aware of the importance of fit. Since you don't aim shotgun , like you aim a rifle, it is very important that a shotgun fits you, so it is pointed, where you are looking. The Browning /Winchester shotguns fit much different than the Beretta shotguns, so if one fits, the other won't. Gas operated shotguns do recoil less than recoil operated guns, but do require cleaning more often, although not as often as some people would have you believe. I only own one semi auto shotgun, and I don't use 3-1/2" loads, even though the gun will handle them, because they just aren't required. I owned an A400, a SE2, and an SX-3, and I kept the SX-3, because it fit me best, all three are reliable shotguns that will last a lifetime.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:12 PM

I started out with the idea of I want an over under, but the more I read and handled, I actually don't prefer them. That said I didn't handle any that were over 3k, I am not willing to spend that much.

I guess the recoil sensitivity could be from a poor stance but I don't think so, I believe it has to do with the shoulder issues I have. My shoulder hurts whether I am shooting or not, so shooting just aggravates it.

All of the guns I listed below seemed to shoulder well the A300 sporting felt the best off the shelf. The A5 was probably second, but I am not sure if it fit well or it had an ivory colored mid bead and red fiber optic sight and it really seamed to help pick up the sight right away.

I know fit is probably the most important thing, but the majority of these guns come with shim kits to adjust the drop and length of pull. Maybe I am wrong but my belief is if it feels good or close to good, I should be able to get it there with the proper adjustments.

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys keep it coming, so far comments on the A400 are similar to what I have been reading, I just read a couple comments that people said the A400 felt weird to shoot with the moving parts in the stock, any truth to that?
Old 10-17-2018, 03:43 PM

Personally I really liked the A400, but even after using the shims to make it fit as well as possible, the SX-3 just felt better, and I shot it better. Personally, if I was you, I would head out to Silver Willow Sporting Clays, and try shooting some different semi autos. You will ac6ually see how each gun feels and which guns you shoot better.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Personally I really liked the A400, but even after using the shims to make it fit as well as possible, the SX-3 just felt better, and I shot it better. Personally, if I was you, I would head out to Silver Willow Sporting Clays, and try shooting some different semi autos. You will ac6ually see how each gun feels and which guns you shoot better.
Yeah I called out there today and spoke with Josh, that is in the plans for an upcoming Saturday, just trying to gather as much info and opinions as possible so I am prepared to ask questions and make sure I try what is suggested.

Neither Cabelas or Bass Pro had an SX3 for me to shoulder, I went to the shooting Center but waited about 25 minutes and still no one available to help or even acknowledge my existence so I left. My eyes aren't good enough to read all the tags from behind the counter so not sure if they had one or not.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
I started out with the idea of I want an over under, but the more I read and handled, I actually don't prefer them. That said I didn't handle any that were over 3k, I am not willing to spend that much.

I guess the recoil sensitivity could be from a poor stance but I don't think so, I believe it has to do with the shoulder issues I have. My shoulder hurts whether I am shooting or not, so shooting just aggravates it.

All of the guns I listed below seemed to shoulder well the A300 sporting felt the best off the shelf. The A5 was probably second, but I am not sure if it fit well or it had an ivory colored mid bead and red fiber optic sight and it really seamed to help pick up the sight right away.

I know fit is probably the most important thing, but the majority of these guns come with shim kits to adjust the drop and length of pull. Maybe I am wrong but my belief is if it feels good or close to good, I should be able to get it there with the proper adjustments.

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys keep it coming, so far comments on the A400 are similar to what I have been reading, I just read a couple comments that people said the A400 felt weird to shoot with the moving parts in the stock, any truth to that?
No truth to it, and I shoot 3.5" BBB half the time--barely feel it
Old 10-17-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah I called out there today and spoke with Josh, that is in the plans for an upcoming Saturday, just trying to gather as much info and opinions as possible so I am prepared to ask questions and make sure I try what is suggested.

Neither Cabelas or Bass Pro had an SX3 for me to shoulder, I went to the shooting Center but waited about 25 minutes and still no one available to help or even acknowledge my existence so I left. My eyes aren't good enough to read all the tags from behind the counter so not sure if they had one or not.
Silver Willow had the SX-3 on for $850 just recently.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I just bought a cheap Turkish semi from a company that basically makes parts for Beretta and Benelli. The one they copied is the Benelli M2 which is interia. I got inertia because I don't like to clean my guns too often and I get into some messy waterfowl shoots. It was also good for my price point. Shipped to my house I paid $380 which I should cheap in my opinion. Has a great warranty and great reviews.

I've shot super magnum 3" loads from the Turkish one and the recoil is not as bad as I would have expected. I shot my friends Stoeger M3500 and it killed me after shooting 3 1/2"
I bought one too. Just for giggles. Turns out it’s not that bad
No FTF or FTE on just over 200 shells.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
I bought one too. Just for giggles. Turns out it’s not that bad
No FTF or FTE on just over 200 shells.
Do you guys have a link?
Old 10-17-2018, 05:00 PM

Mine was from Corwin Arms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DA3A368B-2DF5-4493-B59A-C89A4A163B70.jpg (16.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 10-17-2018, 06:41 PM

Just remember, you get what you pay for........
Old 10-17-2018, 07:18 PM

Absolutely. Buy once cry once

But couldn’t beat a semi for $350 that i paid $300 for because there was a scratch on the receiver... lots of fun for cheap. To see if you like semis
My pretty gun is a CZ over under. Still by no means high end but love it too
Old 10-17-2018, 08:00 PM

Stoeger M3500 for me.

https://youtu.be/T3hLXkUjiLU
Old 10-17-2018, 09:21 PM

Go check out what feels right, you will no when you shoulder it. For me it was the Browning Silver Hunter, I skeet shoot quite a bit and I love to shoot it. It was around $1100 and the recoil is very manageable.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you guys have a link?
https://www.northernelitefirearms.ca...mag-syn-stock/

I have an agreement with the fellow that my YouTube viewers get free shipping if the use my code.

I was going to make a video but it is still in the process but the code is Gloszzship. Use that code by emailing the store. Also if you use EMS there is a discount.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:52 PM

Default Lots of good advice above on fit and function , but ..

Why don't I see Remington on your list ?

In my humble opinion, the 1100 or its successors are some of the finest hunting grade shotguns made.

I own way too many shotguns of every action type and most gauges , and I find I reach for my 1100 in 12g for most hunting of waterfowl, upland game birds, trap and general use on the farm for pests.

Puma
Old 10-18-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post

In my humble opinion, the 1100 or its successors are some of the finest hunting grade shotguns made.

I own way too many shotguns of every action type and most gauges , and I find I reach for my 1100 in 12g for most hunting of waterfowl, upland game birds, trap and general use on the farm for pests.

Puma
To be honest I haven't really liked any remington that I have handled. Not sure what It is but reviews on them were good so I handled the versa max and another one, I think it was a wingmaster.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post

Puma
The problem with the 1100, is that the 3" guns will not cycle lighter target loads, making them far less versatile than the modern semi auto designs.

Quote:
Just remember, you get what you pay for........
The biggest problems with the cheap Turkish guns is trying to find parts a few years later. And the Pardus and Armsan guns that I have seen at our clays ranges, have been nothing but trouble.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:27 AM

I have three friends who hung with 2 3/4” 1100’s , both from the 70’s and neither have ever had any issues at all dropping geese cleanly atbtgecradges of our decoy spreads with Winchester 2’s
The guns are reasonable weight, easy to clean if needed and stone cold reliable but then so is an older A5 which many feel is an outdated , obsolete and not a good gun these days.
Cat
Old 10-18-2018, 07:32 AM

I have a Remington 1187 left hand that I have used for ducks geese and clays. It cycles target loads as well as 3” mags with very little recoil. My browning citorri is a great gun for clays but I prefer my 1187 when laying in a coffin blind. If you are recoil sensitive there is nothing wrong with a 20 ga. My wife has a o/u 20 ga and works well on geese with 3” hevi shot. Shooting clays with the 20 ga seems to be just as good as the 12.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:35 AM

Ways to reduce recoil:
Increase weight of gun
Decrease weight of shot load and velocity of shot
Long way down the list is the recoil reduction of a gas semi-auto gun
Recoil reducing systems spread recoil over slightly longer impulse - the physics of recoil force in foot pounds are unchangeable -
An ill-fitting gun magnifies felt recoil.
Choose a light gun for much carrying and little shooting as in upland hunting.
A heavy gun suits target and waterfowl shooting.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I have a Remington 1187 left hand that I have used for ducks geese and clays. It cycles target loads as well as 3” mags with very little recoil. My browning citorri is a great gun for clays but I prefer my 1187 when laying in a coffin blind. If you are recoil sensitive there is nothing wrong with a 20 ga. My wife has a o/u 20 ga and works well on geese with 3” hevi shot. Shooting clays with the 20 ga seems to be just as good as the 12.
I have used a 20 as my main smokeless bird gun for almost 20 years and totally agree
I have killed ducks and big Canada’s cleanly with 1 Oz and 1 1/8 loads from Federal, Kent and others in both 3” and 2 3/4”
I still use it even though I have been able to go back to the big guns in the last few years
Cat
Old 10-18-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
A 12 gauge gas operated gun will produce no more felt recoil than a typical 20 gauge O/U shooting 3" waterfowl loads. I shoot sub gauge SxS shotguns for my other hunting, but I do shoot a 12 gauge semi auto for geese, because I can still shoot 3" steel waterfowl loads without a lot of recoil.