Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-11-2018, 03:01 PM

Default Crawling Valley Quick Question

I seen on Facebook Crawling Valley page a post stating the campground is closed until ice up.

Does this mean the gate is closed? I usually fish the lake up until November and was hoping to put the boat in on Monday. Can anyone confirm if indeed the gate is locked up or if the boat launch is open?

Thanks in advance,
Old 10-11-2018, 03:34 PM

http://crawlingvalleycampground.ca/

Read the notice on the bottom, sorry for your luck, it sucks that they close it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 PM

Why do they do this? Unfortunately for us that actually fish late into the season, places to put a boat in are limited. In fact I think the only walleye lake down south I can put a boat into right now is Newell and maybe Travers.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:50 AM

You can launch at Mcgregor.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Why do they do this? Unfortunately for us that actually fish late into the season, places to put a boat in are limited. In fact I think the only walleye lake down south I can put a boat into right now is Newell and maybe Travers.
It does suck as there potentially 6 wks left in the season. Why close it to boats and then open it to ice fisherman, I don't get it either.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-12-2018, 08:30 AM

Because there is no one there to ask the boaters about invasive mussels. A risk the Irrigation District does not want to take.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couleestalker View Post
Because there is no one there to ask the boaters about invasive mussels. A risk the Irrigation District does not want to take.

Idea;
Charge a minimal fee of let's say $5 per launch, all summer long and hire a person to ask the questions or do the visual inspection for this time of year.

If I am at CV half a dozen times in a summer that is pretty cheap entertainment @ $30 (launching wise).

I was at CV several times this past summer and the person behind the desk never got out of the chair to look or compare the CV paper work to my vehicle or asked me any questions.

I guess closing things down was the easiest way. Oh well, still a great place and I'll wait for the ice and next summer...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:54 AM

I put the sticker on my boat windshield so that they can see it from the front desk, supposedly. As there is no inspection, the paperwork is mainly a "cover you @$$" kind of situation but I totally support them in not wanting invasive species.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
I put the sticker on my boat windshield so that they can see it from the front desk, supposedly. As there is no inspection, the paperwork is mainly a "cover you @$$" kind of situation but I totally support them in not wanting invasive species.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree and cooperate in the prevention of the invasive species, my boat is spotless at all times.

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...s/default.aspx

Simply put, my response was more in the line of extending the boating/fishing season is all.

Last edited by graybeard; 10-12-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:21 AM

Well guess there's a first for everything. I have fished CVR for almost more years than I can remember and sometimes weather permitting well into late Oct. They use to just close the campground part A, B and C loops and leave the launches (old and new) open. I even thought about going out on Wednesday also. Oh well, next season
Old 10-12-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Well guess there's a first for everything. I have fished CVR for almost more years than I can remember and sometimes weather permitting well into late Oct.
They use to just close the campground part A, B and C loops and leave the launches (old and new) open.
I even thought about going out on Wednesday also. Oh well, next season

I am with you....next season, or at least until there is 24" of good ice...

Old 10-12-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couleestalker View Post
Hit the nail on the head right there. Just got off the phone from talking to someone with EID about the closure. No one there to inspect boats for invasive species after campground closes for season. Hence closing till freeze up for ice fishing. Will happen from what he said every year from now on.
Just gonna say of all the times I have gone to CVR (and go lots) have never once had my boat checked. Just filled out paperwork for boat and towing vehicle said boat has not been in any other water body, good to go. Put sticker on windshield. The gentleman I talked to said they were out all summer checking boats . They might need to train more people to inspect boats. Ya was going to go on Wednesday, oh well
Old 10-12-2018, 11:36 AM

I agree with that, I just filled out the form and put the sticker on my windshield. I assumed that since I had a seasonal they trusted me and didn't inspect my boat but they likely didn't really inspect any boats. It's similar to F&W closing all retention of pike and walleye but never actually being there to enforce it.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:02 PM

It's too bad that the launch is closed, but there is still some good fishing from shore.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Hit the nail on the head right there. Just got off the phone from talking to someone with EID about the closure. No one there to inspect boats for invasive species after campground closes for season. Hence closing till freeze up for ice fishing. Will happen from what he said every year from now on.
Just gonna say of all the times I have gone to CVR (and go lots) have never once had my boat checked. Just filled out paperwork for boat and towing vehicle said boat has not been in any other water body, good to go. Put sticker on windshield. The gentleman I talked to said they were out all summer checking boats . They might need to train more people to inspect boats. Ya was going to go on Wednesday, oh well

But it makes no sense.

There is knowone checking at St Mary's and if there was enough water you could still launch. Knowone checking at Jensen at any point of the year or Chin after Sept long weekend. Also knowone at Newell after Labour day but there launch is open all year. I think they are just using the invasive species thing as an excuse.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:09 PM

one word poachers
Old 10-13-2018, 02:42 PM

EID is only concerned about their reservoirs and canal systems. They couldn’t care less about the fish.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:24 PM

To be fair, Newell is a provincial park so I don't think EID could close it. I actually think EID does a nice job of building and maintaining Crawling Valley for users.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:41 PM

Heard rumor a boat with mussels was found at one of the EID lakes this summer? Which may be why they rolled out the paperwork and closed the launch early? Anyone have more details to confirm?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:55 AM

Default Boat Launch Access - Twin Valley

Does anyone know if the boat launch at Twin Valley Reservoir is still accessible?

Thanks