Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-16-2016, 04:55 PM

Default New sonar for me!

I have fished all winter without sonar and for my birthday my wife let me go shopping.

Drove Wholesale Sports and was interested in the Vexilar Sonar Bobber thing for 129.99, and then saw they had the Humminbird 175 PT kit on sale for 107.00 which was 35% off, I figured for 107 I can't really go wrong. (Long story told short I ended up paying $85 for it , I believe there's a couple left at that price.)

Anyways, I put it all together, and took it out to Lake Sundance to take her for a spin and noticed a bit of a delay maybe 2-5secs, I had the scroll speed cranked to Max. I could see the perch, and my tiny jig at times so was happy with that but it was the delay that got me.

Does anyone know if the 197 (newer model) have a faster scroll speed? Or would that make a difference?

I have the 346c DI in my boat and it has a flasher mode built in, but to order a transducer, another mount, power cable etc was going to be $200+ and figured it wasn't worth it.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:21 PM

The only part of the led screen that is instantaneous is the very right edge. I don't know about that model but most have a vertical "flasher" bar just on the right edge.

HOH

Dan
Old 02-16-2016, 09:22 PM

I don't know if this will help but... I recently purchased a 196ci portable color screen and with scroll speed set to max it's instantaneous! I can see exactly my every movement in real time on the screen.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead View Post
The only part of the led screen that is instantaneous is the very right edge. I don't know about that model but most have a vertical "flasher" bar just on the right edge.

HOH

Dan
Yeah the 175 doesn't have the flasher piece where my 346 does. I was doing some digging on Humminbirds site and I found a couple settings on my 346c DI unit to disable to DI part in order for the 175 Transducer to work, tested it in my aquarium (awful results, but identical to the tests I did on the 175)

I will be taking it out today for a spin and see how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
I don't know if this will help but... I recently purchased a 196ci portable color screen and with scroll speed set to max it's instantaneous! I can see exactly my every movement in real time on the screen.
Thanks, if my 346 doesn't do the trick I will be looking for something a bit fancier, or track down a ice ducer for the 346.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:42 PM

If you want instant buy a flasher. They work better in the real cold as well. None of the screen types are near as responsive.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:34 PM

It worked!

Didn't catch anything, but I saw fish, and had some bites... and I could see fish follow the hook, which is very, very exciting!
Old 02-17-2016, 05:22 PM

Great, good job.

Dan
Old 02-18-2016, 02:47 PM

all fish finders in at least the last 5 years are just as fast as the flashers, the technology is no different, just the way its presented is different, you want instantaneous, look at the right side, miss something, look at the history to the left,

hey sundance, are you in Edmonton, Calgary?? wondering which WSS you got it at,

thanx
Old 02-18-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebossy View Post
all fish finders in at least the last 5 years are just as fast as the flashers, the technology is no different, just the way its presented is different, you want instantaneous, look at the right side, miss something, look at the history to the left,

hey sundance, are you in Edmonton, Calgary?? wondering which WSS you got it at,

thanx

I knew about the flasher part, I think on the 346 it is called RTS (Real Time Sonar) the 175 though is noticeable delayed though by a good second or so.

I'm from Calgary, picked it up at the South store. Took it out onto Eagle Lake for the afternoon and only had to pour water into puddles to get a depth, which comes in handy when you just have a hand auger and like to move around.