Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2016, 08:28 PM
Banned

Default Regulation Question

My question today is why are you allowed to use two lines while ice fishing(used to be three) but only one line for open water? I'm not saying either is right or wrong, or that I think the regs should be changed, but I am curious as to what might be the reasoning behind the different regs.
Personally, I do have an opinion about this, but would rather have some input from other anglers.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:29 PM

hard to cover structure with 1 rod through an ice hole. Two rods is nothing compared to the water you can cover in minutes in a boat.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:37 PM

they cut it down to two because of all the new regs, tip ups tend to have a higher mortality rate as the fish usually swallows the hook.

same deal for one line in open water, a double would not be good for the fish that was brought in second. swallowed hook, longer fight, tangled up, broken off etc...or one angler trying to drive a boat and bring in two fish.

side note, im going to try circle hooks on my tip ups this year, hopefully that helps.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed fisherman View Post
hard to cover structure with 1 rod through an ice hole. Two rods is nothing compared to the water you can cover in minutes in a boat.
X2

I was told it was to help compensate for the lac of mobility. Of course that was also before ski doo's, power augers, flashers, sonars, gps etc.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed fisherman View Post

And there you have it
Old 02-18-2016, 07:54 AM

Default Two rods?

Just my opinion. One rod is more then enough in summer.
It use to be three in winter for keeping worm on the ice.
Since all of us have "Ice Shelters" no need to keep walking.
Have good fishing.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:54 AM

Yup. Much easier finding fish in open water. Winter you are just hoping a fish swims into range.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
they cut it down to two because of all the new regs, tip ups tend to have a higher mortality rate as the fish usually swallows the hook.

same deal for one line in open water, a double would not be good for the fish that was brought in second. swallowed hook, longer fight, tangled up, broken off etc...or one angler trying to drive a boat and bring in two fish.

side note, im going to try circle hooks on my tip ups this year, hopefully that helps.
You might try automatic fishermen/Jaw Jackers instead of tip ups. Also using quik strike rigs and setting the hooks right away also helps. I don't usually have deeply hooked fish on my tips ups.

Let us know how the circle hooks work out for you and if you have a decrease in hookup ratio.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
You might try automatic fishermen/Jaw Jackers instead of tip ups. Also using quik strike rigs and setting the hooks right away also helps. I don't usually have deeply hooked fish on my tips ups.

Let us know how the circle hooks work out for you and if you have a decrease in hookup ratio.
Just built a jaw jacker yesterday. Will post an update on both if I manage to get out next week.