Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-07-2010, 04:58 PM

Default Hunting knives.....?

What is your experience with what you think is the best brand, model, type of steel, and shape of your favourite knife. I am looking at buying an overall hunting knife, in the $50-$100 range, and I am not too sure of the best brand, or type of steel to get. I really like the Buck Omni hunter knife and the Gerber Metolius, so far. Any input would be great...... Thank you in advance!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:13 PM

grab one of them and a Havalon Piranta and you're good to go!!!!

tm
Old 12-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

My two favorite knifes fall into that price range, The grohman #1 and the buck 110.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:07 PM

I have been using a Ruko Fox for 5 or 6 years now and I love it. I think I paid 70 bucks or so.

I gutted and skinned 6 animals with it this year as well as deboned 2 deer with it and I still don't need to resharpen it. I simply touch it up with a steel and its OK for another go.

Problem is, I can't seem to find another one anywhere. I would sure love to buy another in case I lose this one or for some reason wreck it.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:09 PM
sheephunter

Became the proud owner of a Puma knife this year....I'm impressed!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM

CRKT or Knives of Alaska are around a $100 they have treated me well so far.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM

I would save up a little more, and order the Dozier of your choice, for a practical quality hunting knife. Most base models can be had in the $200-225 range.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 PM

I just ordered one of this guys "Lite Hunters". We'll see in two years.

In the meantime I REALLY like my Kershaw Gentleman Folder.

http://www.geneingramknives.com/

-Billy Molls
Old 12-07-2010, 06:31 PM

I've never owned one myself, but my hunting buddies all use fixed blade Buck's. If I ever have to buy a new knife, that's the one I'll be buying.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:36 PM

I have used several knives over the years and the Kershaw that I have been using the last 5-6 years has been my favorite by far 4 1/2 fixed blade
Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 PM

Happy with my Kershaw AUS8 steel fixed blade. This steel holds an amazing edge!

Next knife to add to my hunting backpack will be the Havalon Piranta as I have seen some good reviews.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
...We'll see in two years.
2 years isnt bad Chuck, order a Randall.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:23 PM

Default Knives

Cutco or olfa
The cutco is an all around good knife and the Olfa is the best skinning knife so far...I am about to try the havalon
Old 12-07-2010, 07:27 PM

i use inexpensive gerber knives
you cant go too wrong with knives now a days. the more the expensive the knife, usually the better it will be to keep an edge. but you should still sharpen it after every animal; sharpen between gutting and skinning is great if you only use a single knife for both.
the built in gut hooks i like for deer; but i dont like it for moose (havent done elk yet, but would assume its under powered for elk too). for moose i like my wyoming knife (i find it too big for deer).
Old 12-07-2010, 07:43 PM

I have a few different knives I carry in my pack nothing to crazy expensive along with a limb saw that works great for cutting through a sternum. But I will tell you what I found out this year by luck a Heavy Duty X-Acto knife is incredible for skinning. Might not sound like it but im telling you just humor me and try it out next time. There is no sharper blade best thing is if it gets dull break it off and walla razor sharp again. Plus they are not expensive.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 PM

Default A cheap knife that is truly sharp

I have a couple of $30 knives that I keep really sharp, one in my pack and one in the truck, and a high-quality ($100) flexible filet knife at home for butchering (also works great on other stuff in the kitchen the rest of the year). I think it's more important for field dressing that whatever knife you have is super sharp than how much it cost etc., it's not precision work to field dress. At home I use the same "cheap" but sharp knife for skinning with frequent edge-keepers on the steel, then a high-quality filet knife with more steel action to butcher. I tend to lose stuff in the field so a cheap knife works there for me, I do not see the point of using an expensive tool in that situation but obviously others do. I also carry a little hacksaw, kicks behind on the "bone" saws I used to use for splitting bones if you need to in field.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Cutco or olfa
The cutco is an all around good knife and the Olfa is the best skinning knife so far...I am about to try the havalon
I picked up the cutco with the bright orange handle, I like the shape and the sharpness . The rubbery handle is excellent to hold even when wet or cold but best of all is if you set it down in the snow or leaves it's impossible to lose.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxyzptik View Post
I picked up the cutco with the bright orange handle, I like the shape and the sharpness . The rubbery handle is excellent to hold even when wet or cold but best of all is if you set it down in the snow or leaves it's impossible to lose.
I cant figure out why anyone would buy one of those higher end knives that are camo, I have a hard time trying to find mine at times with a black handle and shinny stainless blade I like the bright orange idea
Old 12-07-2010, 09:51 PM

I have never found anything that works as good as a Buck knife with a 110 blade..
Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
I have never found anything that works as good as a Buck knife with a 110 blade..
I agree the buck 110 is a fantastic knife but have you tryed a grohman?
Old 12-07-2010, 10:21 PM

I've been using Outoor Edges Swingblade for the past few years and love it for gutting and skinning elk and deer, makes opening them up a breeze and i never worry of knicking the gutsack, also works well for cutting the hide down the legs. It definatly isnt the best steel out there but holds a pretty good edge and a big down fall of them is cleaning them, lots of fat and blood gets into the handle!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I agree the buck 110 is a fantastic knife but have you tryed a grohman?
Ya i have had a few but the ones i owned had to fat of blade and not a sharp enough point for my liking..

I have 5 of these and love them.They dont make them anymore and i bought everyone i could find..

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/z...anium/buck.jpg
Old 12-07-2010, 10:46 PM

I use the alaskan zipper by timberline for gutting, between that and a heavy olfa utility knife, the one with the H1 blade, for skinning, I never sharpen a knife during a hunting trip.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinO View Post
I have a few different knives I carry in my pack nothing to crazy expensive along with a limb saw that works great for cutting through a sternum. But I will tell you what I found out this year by luck a Heavy Duty X-Acto knife is incredible for skinning. Might not sound like it but im telling you just humor me and try it out next time. There is no sharper blade best thing is if it gets dull break it off and walla razor sharp again. Plus they are not expensive.
why on gods green earth would you cut a sternum??? where the ribs attatch to it is catrilage. aim an inch one way or the other and even the smallest kid or your girl can open a chest right up with a knife. i dont like carrying more tools than i need to.....things like gut hooks and saws and rib spreaders. as far as splitting bones in the field, a little bit of know-how can save some gear. ive reduced many animals to managable pieces simply by making cuts at joints. when i was young and didnt know better i near enough killed myself dragging stuff up ugly river hills. then i learned how to split em up with only a knife. these days i refuse to even carry bones. my pack goes everywhere....just in case. my buddys deer this year came outta the river on my back. he was impressed at the efficiency....i was miffed that i was doing the carrying on his deer????

as for a knife, i have tried lots, but the one i prefer is the gerber gator. cheap as heck at around 45 bucks from walmart and they are decent steel. what i like best is they are light and fold up nice, but the single best reason is the grip. i think they call it Kraton? anyway, it doesnt matter how much fat or slime you get on it, it doesnt get slick.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
That is what I have used for years. Mine says: Buck 110+ USA on the blade and it holds an edge really good and sharps up good too. I like a folding knife just because of the size.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:53 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
My two favorite knifes fall into that price range, The grohman #1 and the buck 110.
Those are two really good knifes in that price range
Old 12-08-2010, 12:46 AM

Ive used alot of different types, usually just what i grabbed the night before, From Leatherman knives to Rapala Bait and fillet knifes, lol.

Past 7 years though, i mainly use Remington Sportsman series knifes, but I collect others. Have a Leupold Knife that i wont even carry its so nice. Been looking at Knives of Alaska, But reeeeeeeally want to try a Outdoor Edge SwingBlade
Old 12-08-2010, 01:24 AM

Arrow My Favourite Knife

My favourite is my Uncle Henry folding knife. Had it for years. Easy to sharpen and maintains a good edge.

Mr Conservation
Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 AM

Thank you for all of your replies! Has anyone seen or used the newer Gerber Metolius knife? Apparentely it uses 9CR18MoV steel which according to Gerber is similar to 154CM. Cabelas in the States sells this same knife but in a different steel called D2, and for twice the price. Does anybody know what D2 steel is?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathlight View Post
What is your experience with what you think is the best brand, model, type of steel, and shape of your favourite knife. I am looking at buying an overall hunting knife, in the $50-$100 range, and I am not too sure of the best brand, or type of steel to get. I really like the Buck Omni hunter knife and the Gerber Metolius, so far. Any input would be great...... Thank you in advance!
For that price range you would do well with a spyderco native folder. SV30 steel in a great blade shape for field dressing. I keep mine on a lanyard around my neck so I wont loose it. Best thing is that it comes with a hair popping edge and it can be found for about $75 if you look around.

By the way - I cut through the cartilage on the sternum all the time - this enables me to cut the esophagus as high up as possible. I can easily do it with my spyderco. I dressed out an elk and two deer with mine this year

I think the model is the CPM41.

If you wanted a fixed blade - the buck micro drop point is really nice. good steel in some of those.